What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL coup will rock NRL

8Ball

First Grade
It does say a lot in itself that the AFL need to look at NRL stars to generate interest in new areas. There will be a lot of interest in cutie when he first runs out for the GC. The GC is a very hard place to establish a sporting team, just ask the ARL and the FFA. Generating interest and spectators has proved extremely hard in the past and will continue to into the future.

To establish interest in a GWS team they will need to take someone like Hayne. Without an established NRL star people simply wont care. Sydney fans dont go to sporting event in large numbers and in all honesty it will divide more Swans fans in Sydney rather then generate more fans for AFL. Everyone who lives in Sydney knows about the AFL and have more then likely watched the game, we simply dont like it . Having another team wont change peoples opinions. How many people in Melbourne know and care about the Storm, not very many considering they have some of the biggest names in our game. A GWS team will incounter the same problems. Another thing AFL fans need to realize is if anyone from this new team misbehaves the Sydney media will torch them. They will not be protected like they are in Melbourne.

To say RL fans are terrified because we are talking about the AFL on a RL forum is very short sighted and simple. Its a topic because the AFL is coming into our backyard, and people in these 2 states dont live in a world were we think our game is the only game. Dont for one minute doubt the product rugby league has and think that the AFL can walk on in and take over Sydney.

*Sigh* Don't be silly. Common sense has been tried before on these AFL trolls. Now its just funnier to mock them.

This has been said many many many many many ...many times. They'll never agree with you, because they all have the same underlying attitude of "see it and they'll be hooked." Its an attitude thats common with the administrators as well. Thats why we see incredibly presumptuous and arrogant advertising campaigns in Sydney like the one where AFL was apparently "the game that MADE Australia," and thats why we see Kelvin Shandy and Rex Barroska come up here with a massive sh*t-eating grin like this one:

aaSheedy_wideweb__470x325,0.jpg

expecting us to eat it all up.

Brutus

Referee
Gibbsy and Brandy on 2UE asked Kevin Spacey whether he'd seen much of Sydney before and this was his answer - direct quote

"Can I just say last, last month I spoke at Lithgow to a group of about 250 people that work in the mines...I've had a good look at Sydney in the last year or two, getting a feel. Two weeks ago I was up at Palm Beach and I was up at Pittwater. I've had a good look around the whole of Sydney in the last couple of years.
Um, three years ago my family went on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and had a photo saying get to know your own country before you're always moving overseas and we actually climbed Mt Kosiosko. So I'm not worried about Melbourne, I'm not worried about AFL I just want to be an Australian to develop young Australian people. That's how I feel."

Now if you can make sense of that then good luck to you. The guy was either plastered or is not the full quid. His interview was so bizarre and scattered that they replayed this answer again 10 minutes later. People were ringing in laughing at the clown asking whether he'd had too much to drink.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
"we want this club to be great like the opera house" :lol: what a complete nutter!

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
I'd like to see the media pick up on Calvin Shonky's interview tonight on 2UE.

It was weird, jumbled rubbish. On such an important day for this whole Western Sydney thing, Shonky came across as a bloke with very few brain cells left. He had to be pissed.

I can see the headline - "Do we really want this man in our great city?"

elbusto

Coach
Gibbsy and Brandy on 2UE asked Kevin Spacey whether he'd seen much of Sydney before and this was his answer - direct quote

"Can I just say last, last month I spoke at Lithgow to a group of about 250 people that work in the mines...I've had a good look at Sydney in the last year or two, getting a feel. Two weeks ago I was up at Palm Beach and I was up at Pittwater. I've had a good look around the whole of Sydney in the last couple of years.
Um, three years ago my family went on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and had a photo saying get to know your own country before you're always moving overseas and we actually climbed Mt Kosiosko. So I'm not worried about Melbourne, I'm not worried about AFL I just want to be an Australian to develop young Australian people. That's how I feel."

Now if you can make sense of that then good luck to you. The guy was either plastered or is not the full quid. His interview was so bizarre and scattered that they replayed this answer again 10 minutes later. People were ringing in laughing at the clown asking whether he'd had too much to drink.
He is a peanut - that quote does not surprise me at all!

j5o6hn

Juniors
I see the AFL trolls have been removed,good let the Big Footy wasters have a dose of their own medicine,criticize AFL on an AFL forum and see how long you last.

Hanscholo

Bench
f**k its going to be funny in a couple of years, when demitriou is gone and someone is there cleaning up his mess. Clubs asking serious questions was to why 20% of the next TV deal is being spent on a park operation in sydney that attracts 5k people. Then they will rationalise their decision, merge the swans and western sydney and do what they should be doing now...moving the games around. What the brainless Greek doesnt understand is that his TV money, as fat as it is right now is going to go. When all three networds are carrying so much debt, they cant afford to get into a bidding war which means Foxtel will dominate the bidding, which also means you can kiss your 1 billion goodbye. Both the AFL and NRL would do well to realise that hard times are ahead in term of TV deals, lucky the NRL hasnt put their c**k on the chopping block for one guys ego.

Adding another side to an area that is about as interested in AFL as they are being shot has to rate amongst one of the biggest egotistical and brainess moves in sports administration history. The sheer stupidity of it, even the overwhelming more popular sports in the area such as League and Basketball struggle to pull crowds, and for anything that isnt front page news they dont get any. This will go down as one of the biggest f**k ups of all time by the time its done. Meanwhile, places like Hobart, that would genuinely love to see full time AFL are told to f**k off. Sure, lets expand into a growth area lol....It isnt like the GC are going to make it any better either, they are pissing money away there too. Again, simple ego > common sense. I am so looking forward to the next few years and hearing the excuses.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Kenny Shiddy, snake oil salesman!!!!

Had to laugh this morning when SEN (AFL propaganda station) had Roy Masters on and laughed at his assertion that Shiddy will have to live in the west to be accepted. They carried on as if a man who had lived in Sydney for most of his life didnt know what he was talking about.

This is the deluded, arrogant mentality we are up against, luckily it also will be the Victorians downfall.

bobmar28

Bench
Who gives a flying fortress about AFL, I live in the Hills and don't see much interest in gay FL, there is a team at Kellyville I think but the majority of players are from ex=-pat Vic parents living here. Having said that, they spend a fortune in the schools, sometimes it is difficult to understand the free run it gets in the media,as its imprint is quite small.

That's good news because I think that is the area they are targeting.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That's good news because I think that is the area they are targeting.
They're pretty much targeting anywhere from Blacktown to Parramatta. The great news for our game is they are throwing $200,000,000 into a blackhole. If they think throwing a team in the middle of a Rugby League heartland will simply mean they'll succeed because they are different, then they have another thing coming. We already know it won't work - just look at the Melbourne Storm. Throwing a team into another codes heartland won't work. They're only too stupid to realise it.

Paullyboy

Coach
It'll work technically in that Victorians all migrate in ridiculous numbers out of that hole they were born in. As such, it's guaranteed to have enough ex-pat Vics in any given area of Australia who will adopt the crap that made their old home so bad in the first place.

Goddo

Bench
I think, at the end of the day, this team will really struggle and will probably merge with a Melbourne side. Not because of players/money whatever, not because of the NRL, but simply because people are apathetic to sport in Sydney.

Sydney is like seatle or paris in terms of sport support. Melbourne is diametrically oposite; it is one of the most passionate sporting cities in the world. They just don't understand the sporting culture here.

People are quite happy to fill a few hours on sunday arvo watching a game on TV, but are pretty lazy at getting out to games, or religously following a side. The strength of league is that it is what lazy people want to watch on TV.

AFL are going to learn first hand why Sydney sports crowds are consistantly low to games that are't an "event" (think of just about every club sport and there is an example, from Basketball to Soccer, NRL and Origin is a good example). And once they finally do carve out a niche crowd of around 15k (at least 2020 onwards unless they are given a premiership), the TV ratings will still be pathetically low and fans will only show if they are winning.

The purpose of this club is to provide more games in the season, provide advertising options for companies in NSW trying to get exposure in VIC, and carve out a niche crowd of say less than 20k. Demographics are suggesting by 2050 NSW and QLD will make up 70% of Australias population and they want an advertising presence there. If it achieves this, the AFL will concider it a success as Victoria, SA and Tasmania will contract or stagnate.

Thats why they ain't in tassie. It would be backing themselves into a corner. They are constantly saying they are doing this thinking about 2050. The Real Slim Shady said it in the Telecrap today.

That is not a threat to the NRL (except possible advertising exposure loss, but it would equal the gain we get from Storm/Reds). Its only when looking at it in a 100 year time frame that it might become a problem, but by then, I'd imagine AFL and NRL will both look more like the NFL. I think that is sad that the NRL will become so sterile with "Adelaide" vs "Hobart" replacing Parra v Dogs. I bet AFL types feel the same way.