What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

intentcity

First Grade
What other person? Both mentions were from me.

We are disproving your points because you are trying to pass off your joke of an opinion as Fact. When in reality its just you are being an ignorant jackass.

sure it was sweatheart, i beleive you.

Dogs Of War

Coach
look at the hair on her chest FFS, she has more than vlad, easy mistake to make lol.

This picture of Kristina is much better

619292-kristina-keneally.jpg

intentcity

First Grade
I think he was referring to my mention of Todd Greenburg who was involved in ANZ. I think he thought it was me, not the current CEO of the Bulldogs. He is an idiot, so it's not surprising he got it wrong.

When can he be limited to the fight club forum so we can embrass him even more (with a lot less moderation).

no mate, i saw what i saw, i dont care what anyone thinks but you and i both know that your a liar, but as i said before, ive had enough of this topic, please ruturn to your normal Victoriania lines, they really are super funny, especially considering how well the Victorians football codes going compared to ours.

Dogs Of War

Coach
no mate, i saw what i saw, i dont care what anyone thinks but you and i both know that your a liar, but as i said before, ive had enough of this topic, please ruturn to your normal Victoriania lines, they really are super funny, especially considering how well the Victorians football codes going compared to ours.

What lies, come on, man up and point out where I lied. I dare YOU! :crazy:

Greenbits

Juniors
Intentcity. YOu have listed numerous reasons why an AFL team in GWS would be beneficial to that community and to the state. I think you have failed to highlight how these benefits would be better achieved by the NSW Government spending $44mil on the showground rather that the GWS using ANZ.

You ahve repeatedly mentioned that it would be cheaper for GWS to use the showground than ANZ (even if more expensive for the taxpayers of NSW). However, it is my recollection that Souths are actually paid by ANZ to relocate to ANZ from their more traditional home at the SFS. If Souths have been paid to play there, I'm sure the GWS can strike up an affordable deal.

As for Canberra, Manuka is already of suitable size for the cricket and AFL games that Canberra attracts. Regardless, the plan had been for the new rectangular stadium to be built at Bruce next to the existing Canberra Stadium. The existing Canberra Stadium was then to have its inner bowl remodelled, the playing surface raised and returned to its original oval configuration, giving an approx 18,000 seat oval stadium - more than adequete for AFL and cricket in the ACT.

Now inexplicably the ACT sports minister is talking about a multi-purpose venue (i.e. oval), presumably to cover the PMs XI and the 3 AFL games they have there a year, none of which would attract 18,000. Why Andrew Barr? There is an enormous difference between the quality of viewing at a true rectangular stadium and an oval with movable seats. The people of Canberra love the Raiders and the Brumbies and deserve a world class rectangular stadium.

I suspect this is as it was at ANZ. The AFL don't necessarily want the new Canberra Stadium, but don't want the NRL or ARU to have it either.

I find it hard to believe that a government that is already on the nose would spend $45m to help a football code that just sign an NRL player for $6m. You would think it political suicide, but as they are so low in the polls they may reach for any minority interest group for more votes.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
f**king scumbag seppo http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/45m-waste-of-money-for-a-second-afl-home-20100608-xr1a.html

$45m waste of money for a second AFL home
SEAN NICHOLLS AND BRIAN ROBINS
June 8, 2010

A CONTROVERSIAL $45 million redevelopment of the Sydney Showground at Homebush to house a second Sydney AFL team has been approved by the state government, despite the former premier Nathan Rees declaring it a waste of taxpayers' money.

The project was lobbied for by the disgraced former state development minister, Ian Macdonald, who quit Parliament yesterday and his close colleague, the former chief executive of ANZ Stadium, Ken Edwards.

The redevelopment of the showground has been opposed by the NRL because the government has already spent $27 million developing a training ground for the Greater Western Sydney team at Blacktown, which some say is now likely to be abandoned.

But in what appears to be a deal to placate the NRL, the government will also announce today that it has paid the rugby league $45 million to keep the grand final in Sydney for the next 10 years.

Last month the Herald revealed Mr Macdonald had invited the NRL boss, David Gallop, to his Northbridge home and offered him $45 million to secure the grand final – $20 million more than his own department had agreed on.

Mr Macdonald was accompanied by Mr Edwards at the meeting, which took place on March 17. Mr Macdonald explained the extra $20 million by saying it was necessary to secure the rights over a bid by Queensland. But the Queensland Events Corporation never lodged a formal bid for the event.

Mr Gallop told the Herald the NRL was "taken a little by surprise" by the offer.

Mr Edwards is close to Mr Macdonald and is a member of the minister's controversial 24-member Wine Advisory Council. Mr Edwards was paid by Mr Macdonald's department – on his recommendation – a fee as a consultant for his work on the NRL and two other major events.

The Greater Western Sydney team is expected to play only nine games at the 30,000-seat showground site. The AFL expects crowds of only 15,000 to 17,000. The team is due to enter the AFL competition in 2012.

In November, Mr Rees declared: "We're not about to give that sort of money to the AFL for a stadium next to an existing stadium. I'd much rather spend the money on hospitals and schools."

He lost his job as premier the following month to Ms Keneally, whose tilt for the job was supported by Mr Macdonald.

The announcement today comes as it emerged the NSW economy was expanding at its fastest rate in three years. State budget papers to be published today will show state final demand growing 2.5 per cent in 2009-10, a significant turnaround from the contraction of 0.5 per cent forecast earlier.

This is the fastest growth since 2007-08, when the NSW economy expanded 4.4 per cent.

The rebound is expected to produce a budget surplus in 2009-10 of $101 million, a $1 billion turnaround from the $1.02 billion deficit forecast as recently as December, when the midyear budget review was compiled.

This excludes the gain from the sale of government assets, such as the recent sale of a 30-year concession to operate NSW Lotteries for $850 million.

Instead, $510 million will flow straight through to the state's public servants, to help fund their superannuation.

fourplay

Juniors
Wow $45m to build an an AFL ground next to another AFL ground.

Now if only we could convert ANZ into an actual rectangle that's not 20m away from the sideline.

Big Mick

Referee
Fine then

NRL would like $75m to redevelop Belmore.

NRL would like $30m to upgrade CUA to a proper stadium

NRL would like $30m to ensure ANZ stadium is redeveloped to cater for non-AFL code seeing as though they will not need it due to playing games at the showground.

You want to take this stance, then pony up with the cash Kristina you dirty scumbag.

Really wish this Gov't would f**k off already. Total waste of my money everywhere I look.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
NRL would like $30m to ensure ANZ stadium is redeveloped to cater for non-AFL code seeing as though they will not need it due to playing games at the showground.

This. I wonder if it is even the slightest chance of happening? I'd say not.

Shire Panther

Juniors
What a f**king load of bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im am disgusted what a waste of money I hope the MP's at Penrith lobby the f**ked up moron of yank merkin for money to build another stadium next to cua stadium and they would also like a new stadium next to Parra stadium and while we are flushing money down the toilet lets build another stadium nextdoor to Campbelltown stadium and why not Refurbish the SCG while were at it and make it a nother rectangular stadium.
Stupid f**ken mole I hope she get hit by a truck and then it reverses back over her and then drives over the merkin again.

NOT HAPPY

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
What a f**king load of bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im am disgusted what a waste of money I hope the MP's at Penrith lobby the f**ked up moron of yank merkin for money to build another stadium next to cua stadium and they would also like a new stadium next to Parra stadium and while we are flushing money down the toilet lets build another stadium nextdoor to Campbelltown stadium and why not Refurbish the SCG while were at it and make it a nother rectangular stadium.
Stupid f**ken mole I hope she get hit by a truck and then it reverses back over her and then drives over the merkin again.

NOT HAPPY

:lol::lol: Tell us how you really feel! I would be able to tolerate this if there wasnt another stadium suitable within a 20-30 km radius. Given there is a suitable stadium right next door this is just an obscene waste of taxpayer funds.

Red Bear

Referee
I dont mind AFL and have no objection to them being in Sydney, as some seem to. I think their GWS side will be a financial black hole but sh*t happens.

This pisses me off simply from the point of view that the AFL ensured that the olympic stadium was kept suitable for AFL years ago, when originally it was going to be converted to a rectangular ground. This decision has been detrimental to Rugby League, Rugby Union and even soccer. So you'd think they'd then stick to that groun. But no, they now want to get cash to fix this ground up, simply because of concerns over the attendances. You made your bed AFL, lie in it.

Not to mention the complete waste of money the Blacktown ground is, if it wont even be a training base anymore.

I would have no problems with this if ANZ was rectangular, but it isnt, and this sh*ts me to tears. 3 AFL grounds in a city with two sides, more grounds than Melbourne FFS

Latest posts