What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

chrisc101

Juniors
How dare they use our money like this.

Does anyone have big Barry O'Farrells email? We need to get onto this.

intentcity

First Grade
I wouldn't bank on it. Swans games at ANZ have dropped considerably in the last 4 years. The last time they got 50+ was 2007,

i dont know the figures but im pretty sure last time collingwood played up there is was wet as all hell, that wouldve hurt the crowd size, on any givin day swans/pies games at ANZ would attract 50+ weather permiting, in a final they would atract around the 75k mark, the swans will always play collingwood at ANZ, they'd be stupid not to, as will GSW.

intentcity

First Grade
What a f**king load of bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im am disgusted what a waste of money I hope the MP's at Penrith lobby the f**ked up moron of yank merkin for money to build another stadium next to cua stadium and they would also like a new stadium next to Parra stadium and while we are flushing money down the toilet lets build another stadium nextdoor to Campbelltown stadium and why not Refurbish the SCG while were at it and make it a nother rectangular stadium.
Stupid f**ken mole I hope she get hit by a truck and then it reverses back over her and then drives over the merkin again.

NOT HAPPY

GEE, do you get this worked up about every 45 million dollar investment you dont agree with?, funnily enough, the same government has pledged 45 million to keep the GF in Sydney for 10 yrs, thats a good investment though isnt it?

jargan83

Coach
GEE, do you get this worked up about every 45 million dollar investment you dont agree with?

Considering the money previously pumped into Blacktown and the Showground being across the road from ANZ Stadium surely even you can see this $45 million is a bad investment

Big Mick

Referee
GEE, do you get this worked up about every 45 million dollar investment you dont agree with?, funnily enough, the same government has pledged 45 million to keep the GF in Sydney for 10 yrs, thats a good investment though isnt it?

Well...DUH!

Its a grand final you halfwit. On top of that the QLD Govt was willing to pony up $5m a year to play it at Suncorp.

Its a Grand Final, there is no.."oh well we can move next door" situation. There is a viable ground right next door, its completely different.

A grand final bring back their money three-fold.

They plan on making it an entire WEEKS event.

That's why the cost is so high. Because that cost includes access to the players, access to the codes resources in order to ensure that the week is a festival.

The money from that one week, would bring in more cash than 9 games only at the Showground.

Your business logic is pathetic. Your argument's have so many god damn holes in them its ridiculous.

Big Mick

Referee
sure it was sweatheart, i beleive you.

Want to see my employment record you f**king prick. Trying to bloody undermine my knowledge on the topic to justify your pathetic and false arguments.

I'd have more financial knowledge and business sense in my pinky than you and whatever feral offspring you happen to have put together.

Just because you are geniused and cannot see what is clearly in front of you as evidence doesn't make everyone else wrong, it makes you wrong and clearly you are ignorant just like everyone in "your code".

Can you just leave? You clearly are an AFL merkin here from Big Footy. Every post you make either defends the AFL when its clearly wrong, i.e. in this thread, or you are big noting AFL in other threads. You have not made one positive post about Rugby League so how can you expect us to believe you are a Rugby League fan.

Green Machine

First Grade
i dont know the figures
That’s a f**ken understatement
but im pretty sure last time collingwood played up there is was wet as all hell, that wouldve hurt the crowd size, on any givin day swans/pies games at ANZ would attract 50+ weather permiting,
Last years Swans V Collingwood match at ANZ attracted a crowd of 41,042
in a final they would atract around the 75k mark,
The last AFL final series match played at ANZ attracted 19,127
the swans will always play collingwood at ANZ, they'd be stupid not to, as will GSW.
GSW should be made to play all their games at ANZ Stadium as they promised the NSW Government in 1998. After all that garbage, are you still standing by your statement that the swans get 50+ in there 3 games there this season?

Big Mick

Referee
To be fair mate, for that 19k crowd, it was absolutely pissing down rain.

I remember that game, it was at a time when I actually respected the AFL game.

But now I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Green Machine

First Grade
Here's good laugh:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s2914376.htm?show=transcript
LANCE WESTERBERG: This is for Kevin Sheedy. Why has the AFL Israel Folau $4 million instead of investing the 4 million on juniors in the western area - in the south western Sydney area or is this just a ploy to weaken the other codes?

KEVIN SHEEDY: No, look, it’s a very good question, to be quite honest. You know, we actually are looking at developing players from other codes. It’s not just about Israel Folau. We’ve actually got about 20 players from other codes playing in the AFL at the present time that we’ve recruited from basketball, we’ve recruited from hurling in Ireland. Obviously Gaelic footy, also. So when you look - I mean David Hurley who used to ruck at Essendon, he played volleyball. So we’ve been doing that for quite a number of years, actually. But when you pick up a young, talented player like Israel Folau, everybody feels that, oh, this is not on. I mean, to be quite honest, most of the components of his contract will be about marketing and, obviously, ad campaigns. It wasn’t that long about the AFL paid elite athletes from overseas to do a series called, “I’d like to see that” and here we are paying international athletes from other countries, yet we want to pay a young Australian boy, who has been excellent and a fantastic rugby league player - as soon as we want to do that with one or two players from other codes everybody jumps up and down. I mean, from my point of view this young man has had the courage to say, “Look, I’ve done my best.” Hopefully he thinks he’s been fantastic at league and yet here we are, he’s had the courage to try out another sport and from that point of view you have to pay for that sort of courage, because he’s giving up a hell of a lot and taking a risk. The AFL actually are spending millions of dollars. We’re going to actually come into western Sydney and we’re going to invest over $200 million in greater western Sydney. I mean, that’s a fantastic contribution to the communities for employment, we’ll work through harmony and, of course, education. We’ve opened up also say, for example, the AFL traineeship program, which we’ve had for 18 years. We’ve employed 7000 - over 7000 kids on traineeship programs and every year 750 kids get a job through the AFL and 150 of those are indigenous Australians from all over Australia. So we are a well-planned organisation and we really work hard in the grassroots through Auskick and we’re going to develop this right through greater western Sydney over the next three to five years.

TONY JONES: You said, Kevin, it’s a risk for Israel Folau.

KEVIN SHEEDY: Well, it is.

TONY JONES: Is it? Because, I mean - yes, exactly. Because what happens if he can catch, which we know he can do, but he can’t kick?

KEVIN SHEEDY: Well, it’s quite amazing you know. I read an article recently that he’s only had sort of 10 or 20 kicks in his career and I thought to myself, well, that’s a fantastic article because they don’t kick in rugby league. So I just sort of laughed at that headline. I mean he might be one of the greatest kicks you’ve ever seen but you don’t know that because you haven’t seen it. So we’ll take that risk.

TONY JONES: You’re paying him $4 million to find out.

KEVIN SHEEDY: Well, we’ll take that it. Well, he’s actually produced $4 million worth of advertisements already.

TONY JONES: All right. Okay.

KEVIN SHEEDY: He’s probably produced 10 million.

SAMAH HADID: What sort of message are you sending, though, to those AFL players who have committed their lives to this code and are low paid, as well?

KEVIN SHEEDY: Well, he’ll be paid about $250,000 as a footballer, okay? So and that’s the basic wage - an average wage of an AFL player. As a matter of fact, one of the great things about what we’ve been able to do right across the board is that we actually spend 120 million for players to play. That’s the salary cap for the AFL. We actually employ thousands of people right around the whole nation. About 13,000 people are employed in the AFL. So it’s an enormous industry.

TONY JONES: Gentleman up here has his hand up very patiently.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Okay, so first of all you pay me $6 million. I’m a very courageous person.

KEVIN SHEEDY: Let me look at you.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: No the point is I don’t look like Israel Folau. All I’ll say is, and this is an honest point, players like Wendell Sailor, Matt Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, they get - they switch codes for the money. Let’s not lie. But they all end up back in rugby league. What makes you think Israel Folau is going to be any different, does his time - I think it’s $6 million. Takes his $6 million cheque after four years and just pisses off back to rugby league?

TONY JONES: Indeed, would it matter after four years? Probably not.

KEVIN SHEEDY: If it’s $4 million, you lose half anyway and - first of all, because we give it to the Liberals or to Labor.

SCOTT MORRISON: He’s not a mining company, mate.

KEVIN SHEEDY: And then in the end if he gets married then he doesn’t get any. So, no, in seriousness, the whole...

AUDIENCE MEMBER: All I’m saying is have you seen him kick the ball?

KEVIN SHEEDY: The whole point here is we worry about what a player gets paid yet we never ever discuss how much a golfer or a tennis player gets paid and that’s quite amazing.

TONY JONES: Before I throw this to another panellist, a question came up, “Have you seen him kick the ball?”

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Have you seen him kick the ball?

KEVIN SHEEDY: Yes, I have. I’ve actually had a kick with him.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Okay.

KEVIN SHEEDY: And he can kick it pretty well.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: And is he a straight kick?

KEVIN SHEEDY: And he actually can mark it and what I’m really excited about is I’m going to coach him and he might get better. I’ve got to back myself here.

TONY JONES: Let’s hear from Heath Ducker.

HEATH DUCKER: Just the question in my mind is are you trying to buy off western Sydney?

KEVIN SHEEDY: Western Sydney?

HEATH DUCKER: Yeah, with the purchase...

KEVIN SHEEDY: Oh, no. No. No, I mean, obviously when you look at what - we’ve been in western Sydney for eight years. That’s what a lot of people don’t realise. The ground we got to build out there is the size of the MCG. We’ve worked with governments - both state governments, local and obviously federal government for eight years to build the stadiums that are out there. We’re going to come back in and hopefully help reignite Homebush and play our home games there and from a point of view - you know, when you think about it, probably in the last 10 years since the Olympic Games, which I thought were just Sydney’s greatest advertisement for this nation as a city, absolutely fantastic, probably we need an injection here in Sydney and maybe - maybe - some sports like the soccer Rovers who are coming out to the west, too, and the AFL might be one of the injections out west and that’s what we’re intending to do.

TONY JONES: Okay. We’re nearly out of time. Chris Bowen?

CHRIS BOWEN: Well, I just briefly want to come to the AFL’s defence because they have done, frankly, a fantastic job at community development and the development of young players and I know Israel Folau will get all the publicity, and that’s the way they designed it, but they do a magnificent job all through the communities in developing young footballers and they haven’t come in and said, “We’ve got a football model that we’re going to impose form the top. They’ve built it up from the ground up and there’s 1.8 million people in western Sydney, which is more than South Australia, which supports two AFL teams. I reckon we can get one very good AFL team and it’s very strong in local communities, AFL, which not many people realise, but there’s lots of teams out there playing every Saturday and enjoying their footy and I think the AFL are doing a first class job.

SCOTT MORRISON: I think that’s one of the...

TONY JONES: Are you prepared to give up on the NRL?

CHRIS BOWEN: Well, I don’t mind admitting that I think AFL is a great game and it’s a game that western Sydney, I think, will embrace.

TONY JONES: All right. Quick, Scott Morrison, we’re nearly out of time.

SCOTT MORRISON: I think participation in sport is the key thing, whether it’s AFL, whether it’s football, whether it’s rugby union or whatever it is, female, male, participation and all the people that get out there every weekend, the people that put out the nets and all the rest of it, they’re the ones who’ll need the support and I know that AFL does do that in their code. I know football does it in their code and I think we’ve got to encourage all of our codes to invest in that grassroots participation because otherwise you look a bit more like me and Joe Hockey.

High Flyers

Juniors
Please see my email below... Everybody on this forum should be sending one.. Pass it on to your mates!

Hi Barry,

Just a quick note to say if you pledge NOT to give the AFL funding for the redevelopment of the showground next to ANZ stadium you will win a lot of votes.

In the eyes of many a voter this is seen as a massive waste of money for a fringe sport; they are called Greater Western Sydney and have already procured 27 million dollars from the state government to call their home town Blacktown. Now they decide that they want the taxpayer to support redevelopment of another oval right next to a totally suitable stadium in ANZ stadium at Homebush.

How is this fair when you have a million other priorities in the state to spend our money on. I’m a lifelong labour voter but would happily vote for liberal if you were against this!

Barry do what is right by the NSW public and make a stand for our state.

With kind regards,

Brendan Cox

Big Mick

Referee
TONY JONES: Are you prepared to give up on the NRL?

CHRIS BOWEN: Well, I don’t mind admitting that I think AFL is a great game and it’s a game that western Sydney, I think, will embrace.

Stupid Labor rep.

Even more reason to hate the joke of the Government.

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
Well...DUH!

Its a grand final you halfwit. On top of that the QLD Govt was willing to pony up $5m a year to play it at Suncorp.

Its a Grand Final, there is no.."oh well we can move next door" situation. There is a viable ground right next door, its completely different.

A grand final bring back their money three-fold.

They plan on making it an entire WEEKS event.

That's why the cost is so high. Because that cost includes access to the players, access to the codes resources in order to ensure that the week is a festival.

The money from that one week, would bring in more cash than 9 games only at the Showground.

Your business logic is pathetic. Your argument's have so many god damn holes in them its ridiculous.

and lets just say the storm and the reds (if they reform) play off in the GF?, yeah im sure that would be a great investment, unlikely yes but not impossible.

and my bussiness logic is pathetic?, funnily enough your state government seam to agree with me, but hey, we all know they're stupid too right?, fact is mate, your stupid, you have no idea what the word "investment" means, no idea at all, you dont give a rats ass that the state government has decided to invest 45 million dollars into a multy million dollar industry, you just dont want the rival code you hate getting the money, your that sh*t scared that AFL will become a success story in Sydney and you want to do everything in your power to make sure it doesnt happen and you expect your pollys to think the same way, pathetic.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
and lets just say the storm and the reds (if they reform) play off in the GF?, yeah im sure that would be a great investment, unlikely yes but not impossible.

and my bussiness logic is pathetic?, funnily enough your state government seam to agree with me, but hey, we all know they're stupid too right?, fact is mate, your stupid, you have no idea what the word "investment" means, no idea at all, you dont give a rats ass that the state government has decided to invest 45 million dollars into a multy million dollar industry, you just dont want the rival code you hate getting the money, your that sh*t scared that AFL will become a success story in Sydney and you want to do everything in your power to make sure it doesnt happen and you expect your pollys to think the same way, pathetic.

You idiot, we've already had GF's with no NSW teams involved and had no problem filling the ground, we've also had a non Australian team in a GF :roll:

Green Machine

First Grade
To be fair mate, for that 19k crowd, it was absolutely pissing down rain.

I remember that game, it was at a time when I actually respected the AFL game.

But now I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

I went out to ANZ Stadium two weeks ago and sat in the pouring rain to watch the state of origin. I got drenched. 19k turning up to watch an AFL semi final is pretty piss poor, considering they average upwards of 25k through the season. With the lower tier pushed back for AFL, in a crowd of 19k, no one would get wet.
On another note, any AFL fan thinking there will be a 55,000 plus crowds at ANZ in the future wants to contact ANZ Stadium and let them know they are going to turn up.
Swans games from this season onwards, for ANZ Stadium members are general admission events. That means you can just turn up at the gate and get a seat. You can bring your full allocation of guests. No booking period like they have for popular events like ARL State of Origins, NRL Grand Finals, Wallaby Tests or Soccer Internationals,

Green Machine

First Grade
As impossible as the 2006 Grand Final between the Storm and the Broncos?

and my bussiness logic is pathetic?,
Hey, You said that
funnily enough your state government seam to agree with me, but hey, we all know they're stupid too right?,
Do I have to answer that?
fact is mate, your stupid, you have no idea what the word "investment" means, no idea at all, you dont give a rats ass that the state government has decided to invest 45 million dollars into a multy million dollar industry,
Bit like their recent investment into the Western Metro? North West Metro? The M5 upgrade? The only thing the AFL is investing in is player salaries for interstate players and administrative staff that will run this lemon,
you just dont want the rival code you hate getting the money, your that sh*t scared that AFL will become a success story in Sydney and you want to do everything in your power to make sure it doesnt happen and you expect your pollys to think the same way, pathetic.
Have you ever heard of a team called the Sydney Swans? They have been up here for close to 30 years. I’ll let you in on something else as well. Homebush Bay is not in the West, North or South of Sydney. It’s in the Inner West. Now, if the AFL want to have a side in GWS, why don’t they play in GWS? Why don’t they play at Blacktown where there is a perfect stadium that will suit them?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...10bn-for-2010-11/story-e6frg926-1225877066175

NSW to borrow $10bn for 2010-11

"We will invest in what is important to NSW families -- essential front line services, new infrastructure and jobs -- and take NSW forward along a path which is responsible, fully-funded and maintains our AAA credit rating," said [NSW Treasurer] Mr Roozendaal.
Despite the return to surplus, the massive spending efforts will increase the state's net debt levels. Net debt is forecast to rise to $42.6bn in 2010-11 from $36bn in 2009-10. By 2013-14, net debt is forecast to reach $55.2bn.

Big Mick

Referee

Hey moron.

If your such a massive league fan, you should have known that in 2006 Melbourne vs Brisbane. It was a sell out crowd, and rated through the roof.

Next argument?

Yeah you are right, this Government is stupid. How else do you describe how they make so many f**k ups and have had to change leaderships 3 times in less than 4 years.

And d!ckhead I couldn't give two sh!ts that the AFL got the money. Its about waste. Its a waste of money to invest in this ground when there is a state of the art ground next door. Just because the AFL wants to stroke their ego's with a half empty crowd as opposed to a 1/4 empty crowd at ANZ.

If they still wanted to Blacktown, I'd be all for it, because it would create jobs. It would create a sense of community in the area they say they are targetting.

This is just a total backflip on an approach they had 10 years ago, on an approach they had even last year when they committed to blacktown. Who is to say they spend $45m and then just go "oh nah...I don't want to use that stadium any more". Then NOONE play's out of that ground.

As for being scared. Please...their 15,000-20,000 crowd has me shaking in my boots...lol.

I realise they'll have their niche crowd, and so they bloody should with all the cash they are throwing around. I just hate their coach and hate their administration.

As for Investment, I definitely know what it means, I do it for a living wanker. I did it at ANZ and do it at my current employer. Everyone I speak to about this, including AFL supporters in Sydney, just think its an absolute disgrace that they have been allocated this money when it could be better served elsewhere, including making sure that the AFL play out of Blacktown.

For a code that is throwing around $200m "investment" they only put in $10m for this project? come on...surely you cannot justify that ratio.

As for calling me pathetic, I stand by my argument. I stand by the facts. I guarantee that this Government wont be re-elected at the next election because of a string of continual f**k up's, so yes, they are all stupid, including you.

I believe that you should stick to your beliefs. The AFL administration have proven they cannot. They committed to ANZ Stadium, then they withdrew. They committed to Blacktown and building a state of the art stadium, spending $27m of the taxpayers money to build what will now be a glorified training facility...even if they use it for that. Now they want a boutique 25,000 stadium re-developed for them to play only 9 games out of, playing their "blockbusters" in the already AFL-catered stadium, being ANZ stadium again. Tell me...how are the AFL the moral leaders here? How can the AFL be trusted to the NSW Taxpayer?

Again a typical response in reply from you I imagine "You know nothing, rah rah rah, you are just jealous, rah rah rah". Yet i'm the only one providing any evidence, any logical argument. You just rant on about how good the AFL is, and try to justify spending enormous amounts on a ground that will only be used for ONE sport.

You try and say "You got the NSW Government to pay $45m for the grand final". Last year the Grand Final attracted $10m into the economy for that week. Now that there will be a week long festival leading into Grand Final week, the estimate is now that this week will attract over $25m per year to the economy as a minimum.

You tell me. What will the Governments $45m "investment" into a ground used 9 times a year bring to the NSW Economy, particularly when the AFL are contributing only 17% to this project. Come on smart guy, if you are such an investment guru...you tell me. Give me evidence....instead of hiding behind your shell of "I'm a league supporter...rah rah rah...stop being jealous of AFL...rah rah rah"

Latest posts