What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

Noa

First Grade
Actually good this came out early, expect public opinion to can it.

Green Machine

First Grade
If the Government and the Soccer authorities are unsuccessful in getting the rights to the 2022 World Cup, it would have to be all bets off as far as stadia goes. Who knows what the Daily Astonisher is up to. One day they have a stadium at Blacktown and the next they have the NSW Government upgrading the Showground for AFL. A few months ago they were putting a roof on ANZ and building at Stadium at Campbelltown,

clarency

Juniors
Sent. Regardless of the constant changing. Stadiums that are being built for AFL with MY F*CKING MONEY is not something I'm sitting by and watching happen.

Those who don't send the government administrations letters regarding this have no right to b*tch about it here. So either start sending letters or don't complain.

Make the subject header a simple

"NO to redeveloping Sydney showground for use by the AFL"

That's all that needs to happen.

brooksy19

Bench
Email sent.

"Don't throw away tax payers money on redeveloping Sydney show ground specifically for the use of the AFL.

They've got their stadium at Blacktown and better still, they've got ANZ stadium NEXT DOOR, both these grounds are OVAL. Sydney doesn't need another oval stadium.

This is a vote breaker.

I'm sure the Liberal party would not be committing to this gross misuse of tax payers money.

In fact if I was Barry O'Farrell, I'd be using this issue in the media.

There are many people in NSW whom are sick of this Government pandering to the AFL and their requests. Time to take a stand Barry."

Sent to McDonald
CC: Milf Premier and Big Barry.

JW

Coach
$45m to build ground for Greater Western Sydney
Peter Lalor From: The Australian May 18, 2010 12:00AM

THE division of NSW's AFL notional tribes will soon be complete, with the state government set to announce it will subsidise a redevelopment of the Sydney Showground, a move that will free the Swans from the code's commitment to the adjacent ANZ Stadium.

The Australian understands the AFL, the state government and the new Greater Western Sydney club will make an announcement next week.

Under the agreed terms, the government will put in an estimated $45 million to convert the showground into an AFL stadium for the GWS, which is due to enter the competition in 2012.

The showground is part of the Homebush Olympic precinct which also contains ANZ Stadium, but the two venues are run by separate bodies.

GWS and the AFL are reluctant to schedule anything but blockbuster matches at ANZ for fear the small crowds in an 81,000-seat venue will be bad publicity for the start-up club.

The new showground stadium will seat about 30,000 fans.

GWS will play nine matches at the showground and will take over the three matches the AFL is contractually obliged to play at ANZ Stadium as part of the arrangement that effectively divides Sydney in two.

The Swans have played three games a year at ANZ as part of the deal, but this has never sat well with its eastern suburbs members, and the matches have struggled to attract fans.

The showground is 26km to the east of the GWS practice facilities at Blacktown Olympic Park, but still 20km west of the Swans' home base at the SCG.

It is understood the AFL is keen to tap into Sydney's Hills District, which is closer to ANZ than Bankstown and contains a demographic identified by the code as a potential fan base.

The AFL convinced Blacktown council and the state government to invest $30m on the practice facility for the GWS, which has only a 10,000-seat stadium and is unsuitable for games.

GWS chief executive Dale Holmes has promised an announcement on a home ground before the end of the year. The AFL has dealt with three NSW premiers in trying to have the showground converted into a base for its western Sydney push.

The project appeared to suffer a terminal blow in November when then-premier Nathan Rees announced he was abandoning plans to inject money into the redevelopment.

"We're not about to give that sort of money to the AFL for a stadium next to an existing stadium," he said.

"I'd much rather spend the money on hospitals and schools."

Rees buckled after a campaign by the Daily Telegraph and rugby league fans against taxpayer money being spent on a "foreign" code.

The AFL has boasted it has a $200m war chest to support the GWS project, which is in rugby league heartland.

League bosses have rallied against any state government investment in a rival code.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...r-western-sydney/story-e6frg7mf-1225867938889

Brutus

Referee
The state Labor government is a disgrace.

The AFL boast this massive war chest and should be made to pay for any such facilities on their own. NSW cannot afford to be throwing money at a stadium for a code that has already compromised the massive stadium just next door. Yes..the AFL made sure ANZ Stadium remained Oval, now they only want to use that stadium for handpicked games only. Plus they were gifted Blacktown.

Imagine if RL or RU tried to throw their weight around like this in Melb? After 100 years a 30,000 stadium was finally built to accomodate the three rectangular codes...wow!

As I said, GOODBYE LABOR!!

What is it with Labor state governments backflipping on initial knockbacks of funding to fumbleball grounds?

Perth Red

Post Whore
wow 3 AFL stadiums in the home of RL, whatever next! Your Govt needs another kick up its backside!

Shire Panther

Juniors
What a useless bunch of dumb f**ks!!!! What a disgrace! now where did i put that gun and who has the premiers address???

Latest posts