What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

lol, what a nothing story. AFL asks for money from the govt. Govt says no.

NSW treasury doesn't have two 20 cent pieces to rub together atm so its no surprise.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Hmmm...

Terror: 45 MILLION CASH GRAB!
Rees: We turned them down months ago
Terror: REES BUCKLES UNDER PRESSURE FROM DT TO CANCEL CASH!

Why anyone reads that rag is beyond me, its hard to believe that people actually treat them like a real news service

Heres a tip, this is all the news you ever need:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/

I mean, just look at the first line: BUCKLING under a backlash from an angry rugby league community, NSW Premier Nathan Rees has ditched a $45 million plan to help the AFL's western Sydney franchise build a new home ground.

That is flat out wrong. Its incorrect and the writers and editors know it. Its a LIE. Its not even a matter of opinion or interpretation. Its factually incorrect.

Last edited:
Rees states that the govt has ginen league over 170 million in the last ten years. They take roughly 35 million a year in poker machine taxes from penrith leagues club alone.
You do the math

meltiger

First Grade
There is no fee or rent to pay so it wouldn't hurt to have a presence there.
I understand the Eels might be there.

Yeah what I took out of that article was not so much that the AFL will be out there, but moreso that RL won't.

Can't hurt for the NRL to have a tent out there, pushing club memberships etc

Brutus

Referee
Well on the news tonight (Ch 9) Hayne confirmed himself that he's been offered 7.5 million over 5 years to play AFL for GWS.

He sounds like he may stay in league though. His dear old mum certainly wants him to stay.

Maybe the AFL can lobby the state government for extra funding to purchase Hayne. Ask Rees to match it with another 7.5 million, boosting the offer to 15 mill. I wouldn't put it past them to have the hide to ask.

Cletus

First Grade
It's a small fortune and he'd have to be having a think about it. The trouble is the NRL couldn't do the same thing even if they wanted to because Afl players are endurance athletes and would be useless in league.

It's a small fortune and he'd have to be having a think about it. The trouble is the NRL couldn't do the same thing even if they wanted to because Afl players are endurance athletes and would be useless in league.

Thats a Fkn myth..
They have 100+ interchanges a game...
The uncos do more running to & from the bench than on field.

Cletus

First Grade
Thats a Fkn myth..
They have 100+ interchanges a game...
The uncos do more running to & from the bench than on field.

Well can you think of a single Afl player you think could make it in league? I can't think of any, they're too small/slow and would take years to be a mediocre player.

Well can you think of a single Afl player you think could make it in league? I can't think of any, they're too small/slow and would take years to be a mediocre player.
I know that i was talking about the bolded bit

because Afl players are endurance athletes

THat is a myth..How much endurance is there in an 80min game with 100+ interchanges.....its bullsh*t.

I read an article quoting an Eels conditioner recently...he mentioned the number of kilometres players like Hayne cover during a match...it was something like 12 kilometers (can't remember precise figure ) but it was extremely close to the average AFL player.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/govt-set-for-gws-backflip/story-e6frexx0-1225862818856

Govt set for GWS backflip

* By Josh Massoud and James Phelps
* May 06, 2010 12:00AM

THE State Government is about to pull a backflip of Olympic proportions on its promise not to redevelop Sydney Showground to house the AFL's new Greater Western Sydney (GWS) franchise.

After yesterday revealing that Blacktown is now favoured to be the proposed site of the FFA's 12th and final stadium for our 2018-2022 World Cup bid, Sport Confidential was contacted by an extremely well-placed source with ears inside both Macquarie St and Homebush Bay.

He was adamant that State Development Minister Ian Macdonald has been in discussions with the AFL about the $100 million-plus project, which would upgrade the Showground into a 25,000-capacity boutique venue perfectly attuned to GWS's needs.

It's widely expected the Government will declare the news within the next month. But careful spin doctoring is already being applied to the announcement given former premier Nathan Rees last year promised that NSW taxpayers' money would never be used to fund the AFL's pipe dream.

We've been told to prepare for the Government to publicly justify the works on the basis of the Royal Easter Show. But it just so happens that the AFL is ready to contribute around a quarter of the cost (about $30 million).

And it just so happens the venue will be oval-shaped and a perfectly located home for GWS. No one was denying the story when we checked it yesterday with the AFL, Macdonald, and the Royal Agricultural Society, which operates the Showground.

An AFL spokesman was holding its standard line about "continuing negotiations".

Macdonald would only say he was looking at "a range of options" and the RAS failed to get back to us.

nqcowboy87

Bench
may i ask why were getting an afl side in western sydney. theyre willing to throw 45 mil at the showground when they have that blacktown oval and anz stadium, meanwhile belmore sportsground is crying out for some cash

Noa

First Grade
AFL make the Olympic final of those organisations that put there hands out for tax-payers money.