What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

The state Labor government is a disgrace.

The AFL boast this massive war chest and should be made to pay for any such facilities on their own. NSW cannot afford to be throwing money at a stadium for a code that has already compromised the massive stadium just next door. Yes..the AFL made sure ANZ Stadium remained Oval, now they only want to use that stadium for handpicked games only. Plus they were gifted Blacktown.

Imagine if RL or RU tried to throw their weight around like this in Melb? After 100 years a 30,000 stadium was finally built to accomodate the three rectangular codes...wow!

As I said, GOODBYE LABOR!!

What is it with Labor state governments backflipping on initial knockbacks of funding to fumbleball grounds?

Sounds like they adore doing deals. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of behind the scenes jockying that happens.

Hopefully they will backflip again. Having 3 different premiers on this really made it difficult for a congruent set of decisions, given how hard the AFL has pushed. They should be spending that money on hospitals and roads; I dont know how on earth the govt was convinced to chip in for this. Maybe they are as corrupt as the QLD govt.

Brutus

Referee
I cannot believe the NSW government would even contemplate putting money towards another AFL ground. What does this sport offer NSW?

applesauce

Bench
From the article:

The AFL convinced Blacktown council and the state government to invest $30m on the practice facility for the GWS, which has only a 10,000-seat stadium and is unsuitable for games.

GWS chief executive Dale Holmes has promised an announcement on a home ground before the end of the year. The AFL has dealt with three NSW premiers in trying to have the showground converted into a base for its western Sydney push.

The project appeared to suffer a terminal blow in November when then-premier Nathan Rees announced he was abandoning plans to inject money into the redevelopment.

"We're not about to give that sort of money to the AFL for a stadium next to an existing stadium," he said.

"I'd much rather spend the money on hospitals and schools."

Rees buckled after a campaign by the Daily Telegraph and rugby league fans against taxpayer money being spent on a "foreign" code.

The AFL has boasted it has a $200m war chest to support the GWS project, which is in rugby league heartland.

League bosses have rallied against any state government investment in a rival code.

Why give the AFL 45mill on top of a useless 30mill. f**k!!!!!

Fans need to put the same pressure applied to Rees onto that Blonde bitch. (dunno her name i'm from QLD)

Where has Gallop been hiding????
If the tables were turned you could bet Demetreu would be all over the Vic gov. The only real reason the new Melbourne stadium was built was because of the Victory/Heart and application for the Rebals. The storm just benefit.

When the bitch Anna Bligh went into the last election she lost my vote when she promised to build the new Carrara Stadium for the AFL. We were a bee's dick from forcing them to pay for it themselves or play out of a sh*thole until they talked a government into it (which would of set them back years). She decided to use it as an election sweetener to get her mug on the tele/papers. :x

Don't let it happen in Sydney!

From the article:

Why give the AFL 45mill on top of a useless 30mill. f**k!!!!!

Fans need to put the same pressure applied to Rees onto that Blonde bitch. (dunno her name i'm from QLD)

Where has Gallop been hiding????
If the tables were turned you could bet Demetreu would be all over the Vic gov. The only real reason the new Melbourne stadium was built was because of the Victory/Heart and application for the Rebals. The storm just benefit.

When the bitch Anna Bligh went into the last election she lost my vote when she promised to build the new Carrara Stadium for the AFL. We were a bee's dick from forcing them to pay for it themselves or play out of a sh*thole until they talked a government into it (which would of set them back years). She decided to use it as an election sweetener to get her mug on the tele/papers. :x

Don't let it happen in Sydney!

I wouldn't even root Anna Bligh in a mad drunken horny rage, she disgusts me so much.

I can't promise that for the current NSW one, BUT she better pull this funding. That sport has NO right to NSW money.

Thats right! Girls can sleep their way to the top (in the 70s and 80s maybe) but NO! This guy is going to sleep the AFL to the BOTTOM!

Brutus

Referee
Use your f**kin war chest Vlad if you want another fumbleball Stadium in Sydney!!

We are watching Kristina.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I actually had Nathan Rees in my work tonight. Didnt get to chat to him much, but I was able to express my dissapointment in the $45million for the AFL. Seemed pretty understanding.

Shire Panther

Juniors
I just rang Ian Macdonald and he was unavailable apparantly he is going to ring me back:roll: ill keep ringing untill i get to speak to him.
I urge my fellow forumites to do the same.

Telephone:
(02) 9228 3344
Fax:
(02) 9228 3452
Email:
macdonald.office@macdonald.minister.nsw.gov.au
Street Address:
Governor Macquarie Tower
Level 36, 1 Farrer Place, SYDNEY NSW 2000

I just rang Ian Macdonald and he was unavailable apparantly he is going to ring me back:roll: ill keep ringing untill i get to speak to him.
I urge my fellow forumites to do the same.

Telephone:
(02) 9228 3344
Fax:
(02) 9228 3452
Email:
macdonald.office@macdonald.minister.nsw.gov.au
Street Address:
Governor Macquarie Tower
Level 36, 1 Farrer Place, SYDNEY NSW 2000

If he rings you back, buy a lottery ticket.

Shire Panther

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...government-favours-for-afl-20100523-w40j.html

League officials angered by government favours for AFL
ROY MASTERS

May 24, 2010

Rugby league officials are furious at the wasteful expenditure by the NSW government on the AFL'S new Greater Western Sydney team, pointing out its budgeted $45 million redevelopment of the Sydney Showground follows $27m already spent on a facility at Blacktown, which is likely to be abandoned.
The NSW government was expected to placate rugby league with a $55m-$58m payment to host the NRL grand final in Sydney for the next 10 years but an NRL spokesman has rejected this, saying, ''We are still in discussions with the government.''
While rugby league has benefited from NSW government investment in suburban ovals, such as Kogarah and Brookvale, officials point out nine NRL clubs are based in Sydney, hosting more than 100 games annually.

The Greater Western Sydney team is expected to play only nine games at the 30,000-seat showground site, anticipating crowds of 15,000 to 17,000, meaning a half-full venue, compared with the embarrassment of playing at the adjacent 80,000-seat ANZ Stadium, where the AFL is contracted to play three games a year.
ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said: ''The logic of building a ground alongside a ground when they both have the same oval configuration doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.''
Carr said the SCG and SFS, which sit beside each other in the Moore Park precinct, are different configurations, with the SCG oval shaped and the SFS rectangular. It is expected the Swans, free of the obligation to play the AFL's three contracted games at Sydney Olympic Park, will stage all games at the SCG, where their attendances have increased over the past four years, compared with a 30 per cent fall at ANZ Stadium.
GWS, set to enter the AFL in 2012, has a training ground at Blacktown Olympic Park, built with a $27m investment from the state government, suitable for a crowd of 10,000.
The AFL knows most of its players would not live at Blacktown and expects to move its training facility to Sydney Olympic Park - about 15 kilometres from the centre of Sydney and closer to the coast where most players would live. In any case, GWS has targeted the upper-middle class of the Hills district, including Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills and Pennant Hills, which already has a strong AFL junior competition. The AFL anticipates this demographic would feel more comfortable driving to Sydney Olympic Park than Blacktown.
Rugby league officials have been aware for some time of the discussions between NSW Minister Ian MacDonald and AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, saying they have jointly convinced Premier Kristina Keneally of the showground investment. They understand Ken Edwards, the former chief executive of ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park, has been advising MacDonald.
''By the AFL's own admissions, their GWS crowds will only be 15,000 to 17,000, about the same as an NRL game, yet they are getting $45 million to play nine games a year,'' one NRL official said.
The AFL has already negotiated stadium redevelopments in Adelaide, Perth, Canberra and Geelong as part of its conditions to co-operate with soccer's bid for the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cups, yet refuses to release Melbourne's Etihad Stadium, which it will use exclusively for AFL matches.
Football Federation Australia, angered by the AFL's refusal to relinquish Etihad, broke off negotiations with the AFL to jointly redevelop the Sydney Showground, which it considered using for its western Sydney expansion team, Sydney Rovers.
It declared a new stadium at Blacktown would be the 12th venue for the World Cup bid, funded by the state and federal governments.
Now, it appears, the AFL has found a back-door way, via MacDonald, to have its nine games at the showground afterall.
AFL investment in stadiums has been modest, with $6m spent on ANZ Stadium in 1999 to configure it into a composite venue, a shape that doesn't suit any sport perfectly.
The chairman of the AFL, Mike Fitzpatrick, owns ANZ Infrastructure Services, which holds the management rights to ANZ Stadium, meaning he will be the landlord of GWS for three of their games. He has acknowledged the conflict of interest.

Shire Panther

Juniors
f**ken afl wankers!!!! the twinkies make me sick!!
What a waste of tax payer money and if Roy is right then the "training ground" is never going to be used and is another white elephant.

Brutus

Referee
Why don't they build the AFL a 40k stadium in Newcastle, Wollongong and Campbelltown while they're at it.

f**king disgrace.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bet the mayor of Blacktown is feeling pretty stupid right about now! They have basically said they don't want anything to do with their scummy suburb!

The AFL knows most of its players would not live at Blacktown
The AFL anticipates this demographic would feel more comfortable driving to Sydney Olympic Park than Blacktown

Latest posts