What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL in $45 million money grab

Dogs Of War

Coach
what was wrong with olympic park for the storm/new melbourne soccer team/ union team? fact is the storm couldnt even sell that ground out, they average embarressing crowds (13k), soccer and league wont fare much better and soccer already use ethiad stadium, yet the victorian state government can grant over 80 million and you guys are whine about 40 million?, and yes, it is about not playing in front of empty seats, for starters, to play at ANZ stadium would cost a hell of a lot more than playing at the showgrounds, just a guess but id suggest you'd need a crowd of 25k+ to beak even at ANZ stadium, obviously this figure would be much less at the showgrounds, this isnt rocket science guys.

Your comparing a ground built in the 1950's and no real money spent on it since, to a stadium that seats 80K and was designed after AFL threw money at it to accomodate AFL.

Your just an AFL stooge who I personally think should be limited to the fight club as you don't follow League. Apprantly you follow the Stormers when asked to nominate a team.

intentcity

First Grade
my point is, you wont see BF posters starting threads about writting letters to the premier over the 80 million the storm are getting for their new ground, is this because the BF posters or victorians in general know what the word "investment" means? or is it because they arnt really threatened by league/union? grow up guys.

PS, i try hard not to insult people, to me this is good debate to have, like in any debate theres 2 sides to the story, resorting to insults just shows that deep down, you know this is about jeolousy rather than economics.

Dogs Of War

Coach
my point is, you wont see BF posters starting threads about writting letters to the premier over the 80 million the storm are getting for their new ground, is this because the BF posters or victorians in general know what the word "investment" means? or is it because they arnt really threatened by league/union? grow up guys.

PS, i try hard not to insult people, to me this is good debate to have, like in any debate theres 2 sides to the story, resorting to insults just shows that deep down, you know this is about jeolousy rather than economics.

Hmm, new stadium that accomodates 4 teams who will use the stadium all year round and is designed for those 3 games that will play there, versus $80mil for a team that will play 9 games a year at that stadium. Lets say GWS decide to play there for only 10 years and then move to ANZ where much better corporate facilties exist (Which is why the Bulldogs abandoned the ground as corporate money is so important to a team). So 90 games all up, divided by the $80mil spent on the ground means we NSW taxpayers would be subsidising the ground to the tune of $888K per MATCH! Even over 20ys it's still a $444K per match subsidy. I would prefer the NSW govt to just tip in 100K per match for a big curtain to be put up to make the ground look full than spend that sort of money on AFLs new ventue.

intentcity

First Grade
Your comparing a ground built in the 1950's and no real money spent on it since, to a stadium that seats 80K and was designed after AFL threw money at it to accomodate AFL.

Your just an AFL stooge who I personally think should be limited to the fight club as you don't follow League. Apprantly you follow the Stormers when asked to nominate a team.

as i said, do you know how much it costs to host a game at ANZ? im telling you now, at ethiad stadium if you dont draw 20k you lose money, thats a fact, ANZ is a lot bigger than ethiad if you get my drift, and yes having empty seats would hurt atmospere, so theres 2 good reasons why the showgrounds is a better option for the new team.

you guys do understand that its in the states best interest for this team to succeed dont you? please tell me you do, 40 mill seems like a lot, but is it a lot over 5 yrs? 10yrs? 20yrs?, thats what investments of this size are for, not one year like some of you seem to think.

also, im sure the ground would or will be used for other sports in future, soccer for instance.

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
Hmm, new stadium that accomodates 4 teams who will use the stadium all year round and is designed for those 3 games that will play there, versus $80mil for a team that will play 9 games a year at that stadium. Lets say GWS decide to play there for only 10 years and then move to ANZ where much better corporate facilties exist (Which is why the Bulldogs abandoned the ground as corporate money is so important to a team). So 90 games all up, divided by the $80mil spent on the ground means we NSW taxpayers would be subsidising the ground to the tune of $888K per MATCH! Even over 20ys it's still a $444K per match subsidy. I would prefer the NSW govt to just tip in 100K per match for a big curtain to be put up to make the ground look full than spend that sort of money on AFLs new ventue.

its 40 million mate.

so if we go by your maths, within 20 yrs the grounds paid for its self, but i suppose we wont be using those figures now hey?

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
as i said, do you know how much it costs to host a game at ANZ? im telling you now, at ethiad stadium if you dont draw 20k you lose money, thats a fact, ANZ is a lot bigger than ethiad if you get my drift, and yes having empty seats would hurt atmospere, so theres 2 good reasons why the showgrounds is a better option for the new team.

you guys do understand that its in the states best interest for this team to succeed dont you? please tell me you do, 40 mill seems like a lot, but is it a lot over 5 yrs? 10yrs? 20yrs?, thats what investments of this size are for, not one year like some of you seem to think.

What rubbish are you talking about? Do you realise that the Bulldogs CEO used to run ANZ? If there was a benfit to playing at the smaller ground, we would still be there. ANZ will ensure financially stablity for the club. As I said the cost to the NSW taxpayer is a lot. Did you even read the maths I put there?

As for atmosphere, it's what the crowd makes of it. I have been going to ANZ since 2000 when we started playing games there, and I love the stadium. The Bulldogs and Rabbitohs (not to mention other NRL teams who have played games there), have had plenty of 10K crowds. Why is it good enough for them? Wouldn't the money be better spent making a ground suitable for the 3-4 NRL teams that would use it and make the stadium profitable, than spend lots of money subsidising the AFL's new venture to the tune of say $444K PER MATCH over the next 20years. Just give them half the money if that's the case, as it's cheaper for us taxpayers!

Dogs Of War

Coach
its 40 million mate.

so if we go by your maths, within 20 yrs the grounds paid for its self, but i suppose we wont be using those figures now hey?

It's the NSW govt mate. $40mil now, $80mil by the time is completed because the NSW govt can't bring in anything anywhere near the budgeted amount. If you lived in NSW you would know that. Even at $40mil, over 10yrs it's $444K per match, or over 20, $222K per match. But I can guarentee that after 10years they will not play there anymore due to limited corporate facilities. No other sport will share it, and it will be a white elephant left for the once a year Easter show and Big Day out.

It's another one of the reasons the new Melbourne stadium was built. What was corporate facilities in 1950, just doesn't cut it in 2010. This will ensure that all 4 clubs using the ground when they play there, will be able to maximise cash from the stadium, as the Vic govt will pay it off in no time with anywhere between 50-70 matches a year played out of the ground

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
what was wrong with olympic park for the storm/new melbourne soccer team/ union team? fact is the storm couldnt even sell that ground out, they average embarressing crowds (13k), soccer and league wont fare much better and soccer already use ethiad stadium, yet the victorian state government can grant over 80 million and you guys are whine about 40 million?, and yes, it is about not playing in front of empty seats, for starters, to play at ANZ stadium would cost a hell of a lot more than playing at the showgrounds, just a guess but id suggest you'd need a crowd of 25k+ to beak even at ANZ stadium, obviously this figure would be much less at the showgrounds, this isnt rocket science guys.

Do you actually understand.the new Vic stadium is being shared between 4 local Vic teams in league/union/soccer.Full 12 months usage,and constant usage.Plus intnls.
The NSW govt has already outlaid a large sum for the AFL in Blacktown.There is a perfectly large and AFL friendly stadium at Homebush used also by cricket,which can be used by the Great Wallet Snatchers team.The ANZ stadium has crowds regularly less tan 25,000,therfore GWS should not whinge about having it available.
The Showground is hardly going to be utilised to any great extent and $45m ,when other sydney clubs in existence before AFL lobbed here are cryying out for decent undercover facilities.The new AFL mob are well down the pecking order.
The AFL have had a free ride for years with insipid state govts since Iemma,time to get a bit of steel in them.

intentcity

First Grade
It's the NSW govt mate. $40mil now, $80mil by the time is completed because the NSW govt can't bring in anything anywhere near the budgeted amount. If you lived in NSW you would know that. Even at $40mil, over 10yrs it's $444K per match, or over 20, $222K per match. But I can guarentee that after 10years they will not play there anymore due to limited corporate facilities. No other sport will share it, and it will be a white elephant left for the once a year Easter show and Big Day out.

It's another one of the reasons the new Melbourne stadium was built. What was corporate facilities in 1950, just doesn't cut it in 2010. This will ensure that all 4 clubs using the ground when they play there, will be able to maximise cash from the stadium, as the Vic govt will pay it off in no time with anywhere between 50-70 matches a year played out of the ground

and this is the AFLs fault too?

also, im sure some of that 40mill will be used to upgrade the corporate area, theres no reason why another NRL club couldnt use it when its finished, what would some NRL clubs prefer, play at ANZ and lose money in front of 15k fans or play at the showgrounds in front of a packed house and make money?

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
Do you actually understand.the new Vic stadium is being shared between 4 local Vic teams in league/union/soccer.Full 12 months usage,and constant usage.Plus intnls.
The NSW govt has already outlaid a large sum for the AFL in Blacktown.There is a perfectly large and AFL friendly stadium at Homebush used also by cricket,which can be used by the Great Wallet Snatchers team.The ANZ stadium has crowds regularly less tan 25,000,therfore GWS should not whinge about having it available.
The Showground is hardly going to be utilised to any great extent and $45m ,when other sydney clubs in existence before AFL lobbed here are cryying out for decent undercover facilities.The new AFL mob are well down the pecking order.
The AFL have had a free ride for years with insipid state govts since Iemma,time to get a bit of steel in them.

here here

intentcity

First Grade
still waiting

obviously you wouldnt, but as i said, you dont see any victorians writting to the vic premier regarding the obscene amounts of money they're spending on the new stadium, i dont see any threads on how stupid the vic premier is for doing it neither, funny that.

but maybe helping out a sport that averages 13k fans even after that teams won the lst few flags to the tune of 240 million dollars (im led to believe) is a good idea hey?, you can divide that 4 ways if like considering it will be used by 4 teams.

thommo4pm

Coach
obviously you wouldnt, but as i said, you dont see any victorians writting to the vic premier regarding the obscene amounts of money they're spending on the new stadium, i dont see any threads on how stupid the vic premier is for doing it neither, funny that.

but maybe helping out a sport that averages 13k fans even after that teams won the lst few flags to the tune of 240 million dollars (im led to believe) is a good idea hey?, you can divide that 4 ways if like considering it will be used by 4 teams.

Just to correct you, we don't play for "Flags".
That's an AFL/Victorian thing.

El Diablo

Post Whore

lol

how bout this from Eddie? http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion-old/afl-footy-makes-this-city-tick/story-e6frfifo-1225857863155

and i'm not searching bigpoofy for some old thread

intentcity

First Grade
lol

how bout this from Eddie? http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion-old/afl-footy-makes-this-city-tick/story-e6frfifo-1225857863155

and i'm not searching bigpoofy for some old thread

pretty much mirrors my own thoughts TBH, remember this stadium is a $260 million dollar project, not $45 million, and the swans and the lions both average around 30k fans per game, not 13k and TBH 13k will probably be the highest average out of all the tennents at that stadium, the AFL have proved to the NSW government that their product draws crowds, unfortunantly, the NRL havnt proved that their product can (in melb), so ones a sound investment, the other isnt, ill leave you to decide which one that is.

and as sir edward says, the AFL need a 30k stadium in melbourne to.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
pretty much mirrors my own thoughts TBH, remember this stadium is a $260 million dollar project, not $45 million, and the swans and the lions both average around 30k fans per game, not 13k and TBH 13k will probably be the highest average out of all the tennents at that stadium, the AFL have proved to the NSW government that their product draws crowds, unfortunantly, the NRL havnt proved that their product can (in melb), so ones a sound investment, the other isnt, ill leave you to decide which one that is.

and as sir edward says, the AFL need a 30k stadium in melbourne to.

and as pointed out tou you Melbourne has no decent rectangular stadium and this will be used by 3 teams nearly all year

Sydney has a magnificent 80,000 seat stadium in Western Sydney for AFL that will be used by the new team 25% of the time by the new team anyway

intentcity

First Grade
and as pointed out tou you Melbourne has no decent rectangular stadium and this will be used by 3 teams nearly all year

Sydney has a magnificent 80,000 seat stadium in Western Sydney for AFL that will be used by the new team 25% of the time by the new team anyway

already been over this man.

as i said before, i dont agree with the AFL getting the money, but surely you can understand why they would get it, the AFL in sydney deserve 45 mill a hell of a lot more than the NRL in melbourne deserve 260mill, and you can split that 260mill 4 ways if you like.

Big Mick

Referee
already been over this man.

as i said before, i dont agree with the AFL getting the money, but surely you can understand why they would get it, the AFL in sydney deserve 45 mill a hell of a lot more than the NRL in melbourne deserve 260mill, and you can split that 260mill 4 ways if you like.

Already been over THIS man.

The AFL have a ground there ready to go in ANZ stadium. Its able to be used for AFL, and it would facilitate the MASSIVE crowds that AFL would get according to yourself.

Whereas in Melbourne, there is a sh*te rectangular ground at Olympic Park which is a relic while there is no other State of the Art Rectangular ground.
It will be used for Football and League, as well as union and other spots.

That is why it was needed in Melbourne and why its not needed in Sydney.

Latest posts