What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afl To Buy Anz Stadium(this Is Massive)

mark123

Juniors
The AFL don't have an unlimited supply of money. $200 million + all the hundreds of millions they are already spending up here + all the hundreds of millions they'll need to spend up here to even get a foundation for 2 extra franchises is surely going to go a long way into eating there cash reserves.

Sounds like Rugby Union in 2003 all over again - 'we have the money to buy rugby league out', 'rugby league will be dead in 5 years' etc. Well we've survived worse.

Though what we need is a proper rectangular stadium of at least 60k capacity in Sydney.

sydney may just get that stadium yet.

Plus, it is union in 2003 all over again. And yes, they will dry up their money quick smart.

Thats a given. They believe that they can beat everything this way, but they can't. At best, what they will get is a Brisbane situation. I label the afl here bare-bones.

mightybears

Bench
It is massive risk for the AFL, but IF IT HAPPENS they will pick up a venue for their western sydney team at a bargain cost, and they'll have league by the balls for rep matches and finals let alone the sydney clubs who play there. [and the afl well understand the issue because the MCC/MCG trust have them by the balls!].

Perth Red

Post Whore
I presume they are banking on the next $1billion TV deal they are after to fund it.

Would love to see the NRL buy SFS which is much better RL stadium and offer it to clubs to play out of at a knock down price. We need only hire ANZ for SOO and GF.

t-ba

Post Whore
This could be a good thing. The Grand Final can be shopped around.

Played at Lang Park, the New Auckland Harbourside Stadium, Stadium WA, the MCG and Sydney.

t-ba

Post Whore
the man doesn't take a sh*t without asking whether the puppet masters are ok with it.

And if you think any other NRL CEO would be different, you're delusional. The CEO can only endorse the decisions of the board.

Admittedly, anyone with a spine would have resigned in disgust by now.

The Tank

Bench
This could be a good thing. The Grand Final can be shopped around.

Played at Lang Park, the New Auckland Harbourside Stadium, Stadium WA, the MCG and Sydney.

Is that still hapenning? I thought they decided to upgrade and increase Eden Park instead.

t-ba

Post Whore
Is that still hapenning? I thought they decided to upgrade and increase Eden Park instead.

Really? Wow, they're dumb.

Still, Eden Park's still got more than 50k seats, and after all the money they're going to lose on the Onion Cup, I'm sure they'd like to turn a profit on some sporting event.

mightybears

Bench
And if you think any other NRL CEO would be different, you're delusional. The CEO can only endorse the decisions of the board.

Admittedly, anyone with a spine would have resigned in disgust by now.

I think many others would show more front and be better able to articular and plan. A greater leader would be able to [within reason] lead the board around the park better than dangerous dave. Its obvious that our game is hampered by an ownership structure that doesn't necessarily have the best interests of the game as a number one priority.

t-ba

Post Whore
I think many others would show more front and be better able to articular and plan. A greater leader would be able to [within reason] lead the board around the park better than dangerous dave. Its obvious that our game is hampered by an ownership structure that doesn't necessarily have the best interests of the game as a number one priority.

News Limited has an agenda and I doubt any one could sway their opinion on the matter. No on can articulate the NRL's plan because there is no plan beyond 'Suck the f*cker dry*

nqboy

First Grade
Good, it is a rubbish league stadium anyway. More games at the SFS.You beauty!
The reason they play at SA is that they get a much better deal there than at the SFS. That will have to change before many games are played at the SFS.

Brutus

Referee
I cannot believe the gall of Demetriou and the AFL.

Anyone who thinks this mob are here to simply 'co-exist' needs to get out of fantasy land very quickly.