What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL to launch 2nd sydney team in 2012

Noa Nandruku said:
Just heard the grubby little mayor of Blacktown on the radio saying how little League does for the area i.e. him and how the AFL does so much for blacktown.

Leo Kelly - ALP hack / grub. Has been around for almost 30 years on Council. It's actually quite worrying how much the ALP are in the AFL's pocket. Even here in NSW.

His comments are probably fair enough from his perspective, though - it's investment in his Council area and there are no semi-pro clubs (since Seven Hills dropped out of JBC) or large Leagues clubs in the Blacktown area (are there?) to be "giving back to the community". Though, one wonders how much "giving back" there is in running bloody AusKick programs and giving away backpacks...

ucantseeme

Juniors
[
B]The Seven Network won Friday nights in Sydney and Brisbane last winter on a regular basis by not showing AFL games and programming non-sport entertainment.[/B]

Like it or not Sydney and Brisbane (and the regional areas along the coast north of Sydney) are now the biggest TV markets in the country (Brisbane is the fastest growing). Sydney alone generates 37% of commercial TV revenue in the country. Melbourne accounts for around 25%. Brisbane is almost 18%. That makes Sydney and Brisbane responsible for around 55% of TV ad revenues in metro markets. If you add in the regional areas, the share is even bigger.

Ch 7 beats Friday Night Footy. That can't be right. Inspector Morse isn't that exciting.

55% seems right. AFL wants a bigger slice of that. If AFL can't compete on Friday Nights & Sunday Arvo because of NRL, that only leaves Saturday Night in NSW & QLD. In NSW nobody watches live Swans games every 2nd Saturday. So why would they suddenly watch live West Sydney games every other Saturday. Same goes for QLD. $1 Billion tv deal? Now freaking way. Not so long ago, media experts were stating Ch 7 paid overs for the current deal.

Knightmare

Coach
Yeah, but remember that in 2004 Gallop came out and said the NRL wasn't in a position to expand anytime soon. If you don't remember that, there are plenty of Bears fans who do...

Noa

First Grade
Ziggy the God said:
Here is another piece to rally the troops:

Gallop said the NRL had no immediate plans to expand, despite Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron renewing calls for the game to be taken back to Adelaide and Perth.

Go Gallop you good thing.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23236706-14823,00.html

On radio here in Melbourne yesterday he did mention a second Brisbane team, another team in New Zealand and the Central Coast as candidates for any new teams.

McCrud

Juniors
Noa Nandruku said:
On radio here in Melbourne yesterday he did mention a second Brisbane team, another team in New Zealand and the Central Coast as candidates for any new teams.

At least he mentioned something!

Green Machine

First Grade
This might qualify for a spot on Media Watch. Sometimes the detail isn’t important when are trying to get a story out. On the Age’s Realfooty website they have an article from SMH AFL journalist Richard Hinds. Attached is a photo and a description on that photo. I wonder if the staff at Realfooty know what is proposed at Blacktown Olympic Park?

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/first-team-on-outer-as-afl-outlines-how-west-will-be-won/2008/02/17/1203190653758.html

PM_blacktown_wideweb__470x300,0.jpg

The Olympic baseball stadium at Blacktown, in Sydney's west, could be redeveloped into a 10,000-seat AFL venue.
Photo: Simon Alekna

Below is what is proposed on the Blacktown Olympic Website:

http://www.blacktownolympicpark.com.au/media-gallery/2005/blacktown-olympic-park-development.cfm

In a landmark agreement, Blacktown City Council will construct new stadiums and sports fields for cricket and AFL at the Blacktown Olympic Park, complementing the existing softball, baseball and athletics facilities.

Green Machine

First Grade
That prediction was supported by influential media buyer Harold Mitchell, who said the AFL would reap the rewards not only of a bigger competition but the appetite for content of new media, such as mobile phones and the internet. "I would expect the next broadcast-rights deal will be about a billion over five years," Mitchell said.

I wonder if this is the same Harold Mitchell who in the Chairman of TVN? Remember the war between TVN and Sky Channel? TVN was supposed to make a lot of money for the Melbourne and Sydney Jockey Clubs. I read somewhere the Harold is a mate of the Packers. Wasn’t this the same Harold Mitchell that was talking up the last AFL TV contract?

Lego_Man

First Grade
If i had the money i'd buy out theNews Ltd stake, then just give the game back to the people.

Luc

Juniors
Ziggy the God said:
But because audiences will be lower, the fees the networks can afford to pay will also be lower, which means the days of record AFL rights agreements may be over.

I read an article recently (sorry, can't remember where) that used this fracturing of the market to argue for an increased value for products that can gain large audience numbers.

The justification is that as the audience splits up into smaller segments, there are fewer opportunities for advertisers to reach audiences in large, easy-to-get-to numbers. Sport is obviously one of the few television products that has an almost guaranteed market reach.

Quidgybo

Bench
Crikey said:
But because audiences will be lower, the fees the networks can afford to pay will also be lower, which means the days of record AFL rights agreements may be over.
That's actually not correct. Experience in other markets has shown over a sustained period that as the television audience is fragmented by the introduction of mutli-channel and subscription television, the value of major sport content actually increases as it remains one of the few products that can still draw a large audience together in a single viewing for advertisers to target. With frequent repeats and increased choice, the first showing of a soap opera or mini series no longer carries the pull with audiences that they once did. You can miss seeing a new episode of the Simpsons for five years and still get plenty of opportunities to see it and get the full enjoyment of it. But a live sporting event remains live only once and, with the result in the papers the next morning, if the drive to watch the match isn't lost for most potential viewers by the next day then it almost certainly is by the next round of matches. While nearly all other programs are seeing their relative share of the audience diminish, major sport is one of the few products that has been able to maintain its ratings. And as a result its relative value to advertisers and broadcasters is increasingly, not decreasing.

Leigh.

Green Machine

First Grade
Ziggy the God said:
That's why claims by Caroline Wilson in the weekend Fairfax papers that a new team in Sydney would be seen on TV every Friday night is hot air.

Sunday mornings is always interesting on the ABC’s Offsiders when Roy Masters is on the panel with Caroline Wilson. Roy loves to pull her up when she starts bullsh*tting about AFL expansion.

The Tank

Bench
Green Machine said:
Sunday mornings is always interesting on the ABC’s Offsiders when Roy Masters is on the panel with Caroline Wilson. Roy loves to pull her when she starts bullsh*tting about AFL expansion.

:sick:

Eeeewwwww!!!!

bryant

Juniors
Green Machine said:
Sunday mornings is always interesting on the ABC’s Offsiders when Roy Masters is on the panel with Caroline Wilson. Roy loves to pull her up when she starts bullsh*tting about AFL expansion.
Its quite a good program, Its based in Melbourne I presume?

mightybears

Bench
Green Machine said:
Yes it is. They usually have Roy Masters or Jacqueline Magnay on to give the Rugby League point of view. John Harms who seems to know a fair bit about Rugby League. Gideon Haugh to talk about cricket. Those who like the tabloid press would probably not like it:

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/

Harms is a AFL-Geelong, horse racing and cricket tragic. Melbourne based now but his dad was a lutheran minister? and got posted to a number of se queensland churches-Harms spent much of this teens in Dalby [played junior rugby league there] and went to UQ -St Lucia before heading south again. He is not your usual blinkered AFL drone-realizes that other codes exist, melbourne not the capital of world football etc.

The offsiders show is very good, even if a bit too much ping pong talk at times.

McCrud

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/a-walk-in-the-park-for-aussie-rules/2008/02/19/1203190818840.html

A walk in the park for Aussie rules

Phil Gould | February 20, 2008

If Australian rules succeeds in Blacktown, then the western suburbs of Sydney is vastly different to the place where I grew up many years ago.
There's no way we would have copped Aussie rules back then. It was a silly game played in Victoria by blokes wearing pretty singlets and shorts so tight they could turn a tenor to a soprano. Their blokes wouldn't handle playing on our footy fields of small rocks embedded in sun-baked dirt with no grass coverage at all. They could never stand getting tackled on that stuff.
For most kids in the western suburbs, Aussie rules didn't rate. All we knew was rugby league in winter and cricket in summer.
But times have changed.
The bold new plan to have a second AFL franchise playing out of Sydney should reinforce to the NRL (if it needed reminding) that these people are deadly serious about establishing Australian rules as the No. 1 football code in Australia. The decision to establish this new team in Blacktown, the heart of rugby league's traditional workingman's supporter base and the epicentre of all junior sport in our metropolitan area, should be seen by the NRL as a declaration of war. They had better react, too, or risk falling further behind.

Quite simply, the AFL's administration is smarter, better constructed, better organised and more progressive than the unwieldy and uneconomical structures responsible for running rugby league. The AFL is taking a long-term view with this strategy. The impact may not be immediate; however, the more people are exposed to Australian rules as kids, the more likely they will become fans later in life, significantly increasing their supporter base and viewing numbers on TV.
In time, this will affect ratings, sponsorship dollars and the total funding available to the various sports from broadcasting rights. There will be increased competition for the disposable income of fans and the advertising budgets of big business.
This is the real battle.
I doubt it will affect player recruitment. I'm happy with the numbers of quality kids attracted to rugby league and I doubt we'll lose too many potential players to other sports.
I still believe that soccer, Australian rules and rugby league each attract different types of athletes. The physical and psychological makeup of those who succeed at the professional level in each code is different, so on the score of player recruitment and development I believe the three codes can successfully co-exist in any market.

But the business of attracting a fan base is completely different. Consumers today are more selective. They want to be spoiled. They want the various codes to compete for their affection.
Back in the old days, high-profile footballers didn't come to your junior training sessions or walk into your school carrying gifts and freebies to buy your support. If you wanted to see the footy in those days you had to go to the game. No reserved seats or private boxes, either. Out on the hill or standing on an empty steel beer can to get a better view was the go.
Different world back then, though.
These days we demand the comfort of covered seating or sipping a chardonnay in the sponsor's private suite.
I never met any of my heroes in the flesh. But all we wanted to do was to play footy and be like them. Every day we played footy in the playground, before school, at lunch time and down the park after school. We just had to be home before the street lights came on.
These days, kids play footy on computer screens and the family gathers around the TV in the lounge room to support their team. Parents are more demanding. Beautifully grassed playing fields, free gear and equipment, visits from the game's stars - give me gifts, give me time; please spoil my boy. They demand it because they know they will get it.
NRL, AFL, A-League soccer, Super-14s rugby, one-day cricket, Twenty-20 cricket under lights and all to the best of the DJ's music; sporting administrators are fully aware that success today for their sport is a sales pitch and the competition is fierce.
The parents and kids of today have had a taste of variety and they like what they see.
That's why the AFL will succeed in the western suburbs today. No one handles the sales pitch stuff better than they do.