What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL to launch 2nd sydney team in 2012

Our only hope is setanta bidding next time and forcing foxsports to pay a market rate as opposed to the completely transfer priced and underprice fox currently play due to them selecting half the members that sit on the NRL board .. utter joke

Green Machine

First Grade
As for FTA TV, things will be different next time around. I don’t know if it will be good or bad. The equity partners who now control PBL will probably sell it to a new owner. Digital TV and multi channelling will be up and running. That will give TV stations more flexibility to show sport. Last night, pissed me off waiting for the cricket to come back on and having to wait for A Current Affair to finish. I think it will be good that we will no longer be dealing with the Packers. As manonthehill said, it Setanta bids for pay rights, I would like to see the NRL as least get an offer out of Channel’s 7 & 10 for the FTA rights,

axl rose

Bench
The bigfooty afl forums are comedy gold. After the GC & West Sydney they are expecting expansion into North QLD, NZ & Newcastle!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
As manonthehill said, it Setanta bids for pay rights, I would like to see the NRL as least get an offer out of Channel’s 7 & 10 for the FTA rights,

Whilst I would love nothing more than for league to get what it is worth you have to ask why the NRL/News would sell the rights to anyone else other than themselves?

Green Machine

First Grade
LeagueXIII said:
Whilst I would love nothing more than for league to get what it is worth you have to ask why the NRL/News would sell the rights to anyone else other than themselves?
I’m not sure what News Ltd gain out of selling the FTA rights to Channel 9 on the cheap. I don’t think News Ltd have shares in PBL. I think I read somewhere that Nick Politis was part of the NRL team that negotiated the TV deals. I think I read somewhere that Nick claimed credit for getting the best deal out of PBL. Are you saying Politis was acting in the best interests of News Ltd and PBL?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
we'll never get a good TV deal with Gallop and news there

What do you expect Gallop to do without losing his job? Gallop is just a peace maker between the ARL and News Ltd.

I know a multi millionaire, he just sold half a block for $50 million in Parramatta, maybe I can convince him to by the News Ltd shares in the NRL. Doubt he would part with so much money as he became rich by being cheap. Still gonna try though.

If only we could organise a protest to demand News Ltd release their NRL shares, they clearly do not have the games best interest at heart.

Billythekid

First Grade
ucantseeme said:
The NRL should, right now, be looking to make further inroads in Victoria by riding the Storms' wave of success. A big push into Melbourne, a big push into AFL heartland at a grassroots level. The Storms' purpose built RL stadium in 2009 will be a massive boon for the game. Get Slater, Inglis, Smith out to the schools spreading the gospel. And a membership drive.

Also we need to make sure we televise as much NRL into Victoria as possible. All Storm games as well as state of origins need to go live into Vitoria. I think there is a huge potential for the NRL to grow in Victoria especially with tv ratings. I think this is the area where the NRL has the largest potential for growth. Victoria is just such a large market.

I think the future of the NRL is uncertain but i don't think we need to be panicking. We've just brought in a hugely succesful team on the GC. Next year the Storm will be getting their new stadium which should help the game grow in melbourne in a big way. Plus it looks like in the next few years we will be getting WA back into the NRL. The game on the International level also looks to be improving.

Yes the NRL might not be moving along as well as some of us would like but that doesn't mean the game isn't moving forward.

As for the AFL, i personally don't see them going through with this move. If they do go through with it i think it will be a mistake. Just have a look at the ratings of the game in Sydney. There isn't enough room for another Sydney team and it will certainly impact in the Swans. As for the GC, again we've seen how little support there is in the GC for the AFL. Are the AFL willing to follow through with a team that will most likely be getting crowds as low as 10,000 for quite a while?

To me the new stadium in WA is much more of a concern. If the 2 WA AFL teams are able to start getting 60,000 regurlarly to games it will make NRL's expansion there much harder. I can't help but think there is a time limit for us to expand. If things don't go as planned and the WA reds can't get into the NRL in 2011 then i think it will be to late for us to expand there.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
True, but what is Gallop and the nRL doing about that. Where is his plan for WA? They don't have one, why? Because they couldn't give a toss.

Teddyboy

First Grade
ucantseeme said:
And a West Sydney AFL team which has little support would be an ongoing embarassment for their game. Similar to the NZ Knights in the A-League before they folded. Imagine a crowd of 5000 or less at an 80,000 seat stadium every fortnight. Doesn't look good on TV.

Are u talking about South Sydney.

RL1908

Bench
From a Sydney newspaper cutting of a news cable report from Melbourne...10 November 1883:

It has been decided to establish a Victorian football association in Queensland. Mr Stafford alluded to the strides which the Melbourne game had of late made in New South Wales, which was considered to be the stronghold of Rugby in the colonies, and ventured to assert that before long the Melbourne game would assert its superiority over the Rugby, which would be eventually stamped out, and become a thing of the past in the Colonies. Several members of the different clubs also spoke in glowing terms of the superiority of the Melbourne game over that of Rugby.

Latest posts