What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL to launch 2nd sydney team in 2012

bryant

Juniors
Billythekid said:
Also we need to make sure we televise as much NRL into Victoria as possible. All Storm games as well as state of origins need to go live into Vitoria. I think there is a huge potential for the NRL to grow in Victoria especially with tv ratings. I think this is the area where the NRL has the largest potential for growth. Victoria is just such a large market.

I think the future of the NRL is uncertain but i don't think we need to be panicking. We've just brought in a hugely succesful team on the GC. Next year the Storm will be getting their new stadium which should help the game grow in melbourne in a big way. Plus it looks like in the next few years we will be getting WA back into the NRL. The game on the International level also looks to be improving.

Yes the NRL might not be moving along as well as some of us would like but that doesn't mean the game isn't moving forward.

As for the AFL, i personally don't see them going through with this move. If they do go through with it i think it will be a mistake. Just have a look at the ratings of the game in Sydney. There isn't enough room for another Sydney team and it will certainly impact in the Swans. As for the GC, again we've seen how little support there is in the GC for the AFL. Are the AFL willing to follow through with a team that will most likely be getting crowds as low as 10,000 for quite a while?

To me the new stadium in WA is much more of a concern. If the 2 WA AFL teams are able to start getting 60,000 regurlarly to games it will make NRL's expansion there much harder. I can't help but think there is a time limit for us to expand. If things don't go as planned and the WA reds can't get into the NRL in 2011 then i think it will be to late for us to expand there.
I think if the AFL gets 8-15k average crowd for the West team, they & media will perceive it as a success, hence that what the league team gets in Sydney. (they would say)

I don't see the NRL introducing a perth team anytime soon.

ch9 won't give the storm a chance on primetime in melbourne.
Personally I see more chance in a second AFL team in Sydney than the Storm conquering melbourne & getting FTA games live in primetime in Melb.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe this will be the kick up the back5ide the NRl need, then again it may make them batten down the hatches and recede back to its heartlands even more.

I wonder how Ch9 making a serious bid for AFL will effect the next NRL TV deal?

I know one thing for sure if the NRL was in a position to throw $100 million at WA we would have a serious chance at making RL a masssive sport here.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
bryant said:
I don't see the NRL introducing a perth team anytime soon.
The Reds have the backing of the ARL and are starting to reclaim the ground we lost because of the SL war. They're pretty much a shoe in for an NRL license in 2011/2012 (08/09 in the JBC and 10/11 in the QLD Cup).

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...-has-just-begun/2008/02/16/1202760668933.html

The battle for western Sydney has just begun

Will Swanton, Adrian Proszenko and David Sygall | February 17, 2008

NATIONAL Rugby League boss David Gallop yesterday described western Sydney as a football "battleground" after revelations the AFL will launch a full-blown raid into the rugby league heartland.

And Australian Rugby Union supremo John O'Neill called the AFL's expansion a wake-up call while flagging the possibility of the expedited introduction of a Super 14 side to play out of Parramatta Stadium.

"For NRL and rugby union, in particular, we are being attacked in the heartland by the AFL and we have to fight very hard to protect that heartland," O'Neill said.

"The competitive pressures in this country surpass anything that happens anywhere else in the world. We're the only country with four football codes - AFL, NRL, rugby union and football.

"That's why in recent times we've speculated … the expansion of Super rugby could quite possibly include a team on the Gold Coast and western Sydney at Parramatta Stadium. Sydney and NSW are more than capable of hosting two rugby union teams.

"Rugby league has eight teams in Sydney and we've got one with the Waratahs. When we're looking at strategic choices, western Sydney has to at least be on the agenda.

"With the arrival and expansion of the A-League, the cake is only so big and it's going to get cut up into smaller slices.

"It's the price of competition. We're unbelievably mindful of the need to grow the game and to put up a fight to stop the inroads being made, particularly by AFL."

AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick told yesterday's The Sydney Morning Herald that the competition intends to expand from 16 to 18 clubs, with a new team on the Gold Coast in 2011 and another in western Sydney in 2012.

Western Sydney is league's traditional heartland but the creation of an AFL side in the middle of Penrith Panthers territory - one of league's largest and greatest nurseries - is the official declaration of war. The A-League has already stated its intention to have a team in western Sydney.

"Western Sydney is a battleground," Gallop said. "We're very strong in that area and we need to continue putting resources into our development programs in the west.

"Expansion is a difficult exercise and they will face a range of issues. For us, it's just another reminder of how competitive the market is. We're well aware of the threat of other codes."

Gallop said the AFL's plans were further vindication of the NRL's move into south-east Queensland last year with the establishment of the Gold Coast Titans.

"There's already a lot of support for league there and the signs are very positive for the future. We've already given ourselves a foot in the door there," he said.

Panthers general manager Mick Leary admitted the AFL's move was a serious threat and Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald called for the NRL to consider expansion of its own, with a Sydney team moving to the NSW Central Coast and New Zealand fielding a second team.

On the possibility of AFL luring western Sydney juniors away from league, Fitzgerald said: "There's already plenty of AFL in western Sydney, north-western Sydney, south-western Sydney - I don't think it'll make too much of a difference, to be honest.

"There's already a lot of junior AFL fields and competitions. From a Sydney point of view, the Swans have doing well for a few years now so AFL has already been trying to make inroads. I can't see rugby league changing from being the No.1 code. You can't say always, but I can't see it happening for at least 10 years."

Leary called for the NRL to have more junior development officers out west.

"You've got to be on your toes out here," Leary said. "Blacktown is our area, one of our great areas for producing juniors.

"Our league is undoubtedly the best-run junior league anywhere and we need to protect that. We won't be taking this lightly. We won't be blase because we'll be treating this as a serious threat.

"We have more than 500 teams in our area. There's AFL, but I also think soccer is going to be a big threat in our area. At the moment, kids seem to play soccer till they're 14 or 15, then they change. But that could go the other way, too, with the way the Socceroos and soccer in this country is going.

"They're all threats but in saying that, we've got to be on our toes. We'll treat these other sports with respect and keep working to promote rugby league. Development needs to be seriously looked at in terms of having more development officers, not just in our area, but all areas."

The man in charge of the increasingly popular A-League, Football Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley, said the FFA still planned to have a side in western Sydney within the next two to three years.

"Western Sydney is a great football region," Buckley said.

"There is enormous interest in football in the area. As well as having large numbers of players, it also has a fine tradition of producing outstanding talent such as Harry Kewell, Brett Emerton, Mark Schwarzer and former Socceroos captain Paul Okon."

Perth Red

Post Whore
People are kidding themselves if they think the AFL are intending to be No1 in Sydney. It would be like the NRL readmitting the WA Reds with claims that they are aiming to make RL number one in Perth. Never going to happen. There sole aim is to have a more attractive league to sell to corporates and media. That is their aim full stop, two Sydney teams drawing 20,000+ and two Q'land teams doing the same makes the AFL far more attractive and therefore make more money.

Striker

Juniors
if the FFA secure the north queensland team and the gold coast team, they will be the only code that has a true national coverage. The NRL never should have let the adelaide, hunter and perth teams die, if they kept propping them up to keep them alive they would have roughly 10 years of tradition behind them. i dont care how much money that would have cost the nrl they are supposed to be about the good of the game, not about banking millions.

I for one am hoping the a-league expands to those two areas as i am a football fan as well (that's all i played and still play i never had time to play anything else), but i also love my rugby league and have followed the broncos since day one and i want to see league succeed as well.

here's a good money saver, if thats what the nrl is mainly concerned about. dump the qrl, nswrl, crl and so on im sure there are a few jobs tripled up there, therefor the money filters through to one organisation. i know that has been said before but i just wanted to throw my hat into the ring :)

McCrud

Juniors
Wow...just listen to Gallop inspire the troops - it's almost Churchillian. I am now feeling so very positive about the future direction of the NRL. :shock:

Every other code bar the NRL has now put their cards on the table. For our mob uttering a peep about expansion is like getting blood from a stone. Utterly depressing. :( Christ reading some of Gallop's comments in today's media he may as well start handing over the silverware to the AFL already, he's dead-set got nothing.

Gallop has failed to instill a shred of confidence in the Rugby League community at this pivotal time in our code's history. Compare Gallop to John O'Neill, his product is on the nose like a three week old turd but he's still able to convey a sense of purpose and enthusiasm when he speaks about it's future. Read Gallop's comments and you could be forgiven for thinking he's preoccupied running up the white flag at NRL HQ.

dimitri

First Grade
In-goal said:
I think the Melbourne Football Club are having thier 150th

the first 40 years of what they claim was aussie rules, was a slightly different game.

WOuldn't really be recognisable today

Quidgybo

Bench
Lockyer4President! said:
The Reds have the backing of the ARL and are starting to reclaim the ground we lost because of the SL war. They're pretty much a shoe in for an NRL license in 2011/2012 (08/09 in the JBC and 10/11 in the QLD Cup).
With the backing of the ARL they have a leg up but I wouldn't call them a shoe in. We all seem to forget that News Ltd own only half the NRL - just like the ARL. They have a blocking vote, not a controlling vote - just like the ARL. But that blocking vote does give News the power to prevent a Perth team's entry into the NRL or any expansion full stop. It is well known that News are in the game for their own profit not for the game's benefit. If there is to be expansion then they will only accept it on the basis that the new team increases their own profit without requiring handouts, concessions or any other special attention. In short they want more Titans, not more Storms. Of course similarly the ARL has the power to block any TV deal that they believe is not selling the competition for its true market value - and it's about bloody time they used that power. Far from pointing the finger at Gallop, I'd be pointing the finger squarely at Colin Love. He's the guy with the power to stand up to News Ltd in how the NRL is run, not Gallop. And he's the guy who should be answering for why the ARL is meekly following along with News Ltd's agenda for the competition.

Leigh.

Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald called for the NRL to consider expansion of its own, with a Sydney team moving to the NSW Central Coast and New Zealand fielding a second team.

:shock:
Denis...expansion???

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The AFL even have an international plan!!!

It seems with the help of people in the shadows the sports are being repositioned in terms of ranking, this will effect the TV and sponsorship deals. AFL has clearly been chosen as the number 1 game.

Gallop has said time and again the nRL is securing the east coast, he has no interest in any further development which could cost the NRL, remember the Storm cost News millions.

Green Machine

First Grade
The Cowboys were recently depentent on News Ltd for funding. Once the Storm moves into a new stadium with all the corporate facilities, I wonder how dependent the Storm will be on News Ltd for funding? If Channel 9 Melbourne were supportive of the Storm and gave them more exposure, would that improve there popularity in Victoria? Latest population projections are saying that Melbourne could become Australia’s largest city in the future. I’ll bet you would never hear Victorian AFL fans calling for the Swans to be closed down. In fact, the AFL bragged after receiving an extra $50m more than us in the last TV deal, that it was their exposure into NSW and Qld that contributed to it,

Teddyboy

First Grade
f**k me are u's just as thick as some of the Onion fans.
Give it 5-10 years when League is getting shafted by first AFL(which has happend)and then Scumball(trev/gavinball or Soccer).
The way Union is going in New Zealand and Australia and the way League is going(nowhere)money will talk and there will be one Rugby code.
Rugby Union and League is at a crossroads and soon Soccer will be number 1,followed by AFL and then League no 3 and Union number 4.

Latest posts