What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AJ (can we retain him)

Alex Johnston shadows Greg Inglis in a bid to play fullback

Date February 5, 2015 - 10:46PM
Michael Carayannis

Rugby League Writer

View more articles from Michael Carayannis
Follow Michael on Twitter Email Michael

1423138637869.jpg
Running rabbit: Alex Johnston training for the Rabbitohs. Photo: Getty Images

Alex Johnston is shadowing Greg Inglis and not for the first time. The South Sydney flyer has stepped up his audacious bid to spend more time at fullback, having spent a large chunk of the pre-season playing in Inglis' spot.
It's a far cry from the last time Johnston mimicked Inglis, having played the part of a young Inglis in the NRL's 2009 season advertisement.
With a stellar debut season now behind him, Johnston has used the lead-up to his second year in the top grade to return to the fullback role he played during his decorated junior representative career.
South Sydney may get a glimpse of their future No.1 when Johnston lines up at fullback in Inglis' absence when the Rabbitohs play St George Illawarra in the annual Charity Shield on Saturday night.
"Fullback is where I want to be," Johnston said. "If I can get a bit more training there I would love that, that's what I've been trying to do.
"Greggy is there. I love my spot on the wing with him passing the ball. I don't mind where I am at the moment – I'm enjoying training at fullback and playing on the wing.
"Last year it was more about gaining weight, this year it's about trying to maintain and now I'm looking forward to the season and training a bit more at fullback and seeing how I go there."
The carrot of being a full-time fullback isn't expected to be enough to lure the South Sydney junior away from Redfern. Johnston remains content to spend time on the wing as he continues to develop his fullback skills with the assistance of Inglis.
Fairfax Media understands Johnston is expected to sign a short-term deal to keep him at South Sydney when his contract expires at the end of the year.
"It hasn't been a distraction," Johnston said. "I've just been focusing on my footy. My manager is on to that and working with Souths. I'm not looking into that at all. I'm letting it pan out."
Johnston, who turned 20 last month, had a dream debut season scoring 21 tries in 18 games including a four-pointer in the Rabbitohs' grand final win.
He was selected in the Kangaroos' Four Nations squad but didn't play.
"It was another learning experience," Johnston said of his Australian team opportunity. "It was good to be amongst those players, they were a good bunch of boys. I'm going to take that as motivation and try and get a game.
"The body was feeling it [after the Four Nations]. After winning the premiership, it makes everything feel a lot better. The body is back to best shape for the season coming up."
The Charity Shield will be the first time the bulk of the Rabbitohs squad have returned to ANZ Stadium since their premiership victory against Canterbury. The trial game will take on extra importance as the Rabbitohs ramp up their preparations for their World Club Challenge game against St Helens on February 22.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...n-a-bid-to-play-fullback-20150205-136tp5.html

rabbitohs95

Bench
A good example I can find is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from the Roosters.

For 3 years he has been behind Minichiello at fullback.

In another 2 years Inglis will be hitting 30 and Alex will be 22.

If we keep both then it would probably be likely we see

1. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Inglis

Rabbits20

Immortal
A good example I can find is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from the Roosters.

For 3 years he has been behind Minichiello at fullback.

In another 2 years Inglis will be hitting 30 and Alex will be 22.

If we keep both then it would probably be likely we see

1. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Inglis

All depends on how Madge sees things. But you make a good point and there is a strong possibility it could happen.

Let's hope Johnston has a strong game tomorrow. A couple of tries from him would be nice.

From that article it seems like Souths are trying to sort out a short term deal to keep AJ so that's good news. Also that AJ doesn't want to leave Souths as well is good news.

kbw

Bench
IF Johnston shows any ability at FB thats where he should play GI is not a fullback doesn't communication for poo, and thats far too important, just ask the Kangaroos.

ram raid

Bench
GI is the most destructive kick returner the game has ever had, teams were purposely kicking the ball dead just to avoid giving him the ball before they brought in the 7 tackle restart rule. He's the best player in the team so it makes sense to have him at FB where he gets as many touches as possible. He's as safe as a house, and he communicates just fine.

Rabbits20

Immortal
GI is the most destructive kick returner the game has ever had, teams were purposely kicking the ball dead just to avoid giving him the ball before they brought in the 7 tackle restart rule. He's the best player in the team so it makes sense to have him at FB where he gets as many touches as possible. He's as safe as a house, and he communicates just fine.

Agree mate.

Chooks supporters have no idea!

Rabbits20

Immortal
IF Johnston shows any ability at FB thats where he should play GI is not a fullback doesn't communication for poo, and thats far too important, just ask the Kangaroos.

GI is a fullback and is bloody brilliant. GI is best fullback in the game currently.

Johnston is nowhere near as good at fullback as GI.

alien

Referee
GI is not a fullback doesn't communication for poo, and thats far too important, just ask the Kangaroos.

GI is one of the best fullbacks in the world. almost everything you post is wrong.

kbw

Bench
GI is one of the best players in the world (if not the best) when he isn't lazy.
But he is not close to being the best fullback. It takes more than just being a great player. Gi has proven that he doesn't communicate near enough. Slater may not be as good a player but he is a better fullback because of how he adds to the structure of the attack and especially defense with excellent communication.

rabbitohs95

Bench
GI is one of the best players in the world (if not the best) when he isn't lazy.
But he is not close to being the best fullback. It takes more than just being a great player. Gi has proven that he doesn't communicate near enough. Slater may not be as good a player but he is a better fullback because of how he adds to the structure of the attack and especially defense with excellent communication.

Who do you think is better?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Who do you think is better?

Obviously he thinks communication.

GI has improved in communication and doesn't have any issues now at all.

GI also is destructive in attack and communicates with our halves on last tackle perfectly as well (for example).

He also follows Madge's structures.

This KBW has no clue on GI. GI makes heaps of hit ups and makes try saving tackles as well.

Being at games imo it's a privilege to watch such a freakish superstar.

alien

Referee
GI moving to fullback is one of the reasons Souths have turned into Super Souths. GI is one of the best fullbacks that I've ever seen, along with Slater, Mini, Locky.

doyen

Bench
How in the name of goodness does a player spend 10 yrs at the very top echelon of the RL tree without being a communicator????

GI is an absolute genius of the game.

He doesn't really have to communicate in words.He reads the game like a book.All of our ball-players are looking for him out of the corner of their eyes constantly.I believe we will see GI go to greater heights as a Captain.

Sydney Roosters turn to South Sydney's Alex Johnston to replace Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Date April 8, 2015 - 10:15PM
  • 165 reading now
Adrian Proszenko, Michael Carayannis

• The Sydney Roosters will chase the signature of South Sydney star Alex Johnston and attempt to extend the tenure of their own young gun Latrell Mitchell as part of their contingency planning for the departure of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
    As revealed by Fairfax Media, Tuivasa-Sheck will join the Warriors next year as a replacement for fullback Sam Tomkins, who has been granted an early release for family reasons. The Roosters had hoped to retain Tuivasa-Sheck but were only able to table him about half of the $800,000 per annum that was on offer across the Tasman.
    The stunning coup could have further ramifications, with the Roosters also likely to be in a position to make an audacious raid on Israel Folau should the code-hopping Wallaby decide to return to the 13-man code, however the Australian Rugby Union believe its flexible contract deal will keep him in rugby.
    Johnston is off contract at the end of the season and would like to remain with the premiers. But while he is keen to make the transition from the wing to fullback, he won't get a chance to wear the No.1 jersey while Greg Inglis is at the Rabbitohs. Complicating the issue further is the fact that Inglis, despite being contracted until the end of 2017, is being pursued by cashed-up European rugby franchises.
    Johnston's market worth skyrockets if given the opportunity to shift from the wing to fullback and it's understood the tricolours are prepared to offer him about $550,000 per season to make the switch. However, they aren't the 20 year old's only suitors, with Parramatta, Canberra and Melbourne also in the mix. While the Eels will retain William Hopoate on a three-year deal, it's likely the plan is for the Blues representative to shift back into the centres next season.
    Another young fullback attracting enormous attention is Mitchell. He was named the SG Ball player of the year in 2014 and is currently playing in the National Youth Competition despite being just 17 years old. While he is not eligible to make his first-grade debut until he turns 18 in June, he is considered a superstar of the future. The Taree Red Rovers junior, who has been compared to Inglis, is contracted to the Roosters until the end of next year but that hasn't stopped other clubs from circling for the following season.
    Mitchell's manager, Steve Deacon, will meet with Roosters recruitment guru Peter O'Sullivan on Thursday to discuss a potential upgrade and extension to his current contract. While the meeting was scheduled before Tuivasa-Sheck's departure was announced, that development may create a career path to the top side earlier than expected.
    "With Roger departing, that could accelerate his rise to first grade. Only time will tell," Deacon said.
    "A lot of clubs have been ringing up, I met with a club yesterday and just this morning as they go through their player roster.
    "I've got to look at the client's needs and try to get him the best deal wherever it may be."
    In the Roosters' favour is the fact that Mitchell's brother, Shaqai, is also at the club and currently playing in the same under 20s team.
    Another potential target is Folau, although the Roosters would need the NRL to use their war chest for marquee players to have any chance of making the move a reality.
    "We couldn't afford Roger, [so] we couldn't afford [Israel]," said Roosters CEO Brian Canavan.
    "I'm sure the coach would like him."
    Fairfax Media spied the NRL's head of football, Todd Greenberg, in a meeting with Folau and his manager last year.
    "In the first instance the NRL have to make the decision to use their secret war chest," Canavan said.
    "In the second instance, I'm assumingly he has a notion value assigned to him on the salary cap, so it would depend on our salary cap situation. I can't see it happening."
    Tuivasa-Sheck told his teammates about his decision on Wednesday.
    "It was a shock to us," Michael Jennings said.
    "We've got to respect he has made the decision for him and his family and the opportunities. We're all behind him. He is looking forward to giving everything he has got. He has to give his best every week and worry about this year.
    "He was emotional. He was pretty sad."

Ttime

Juniors

The Kangaroos?? you mean the team who keep losing to NZ?

Rabbits20

Immortal
How much can Souths afford to pay him?

If Souths keep AJ and offer him more than what Dylan is on, then Dylan would want an upgrade. Imo Dylan is worth more than AJ.

I reckon Souths may offer him 450k. Other clubs like Roosters, Titans and Parra will probably chase him for 650k-700k.

It's a question of whether AJ is loyal over money imo. AJ has his whole career ahead of him and I reckon it's best for him to stay with Souths.