What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AJ (can we retain him)

DiegoNT

First Grade
The thing about rabbitohs and AJ is that with us he'll be a winger (for at least 2-3 years at least) is it worth us paying so much for a winger?
For us at this point in time he's worth 300k--350k tops, he'll be worth a lot more to other clubs sadly

All hinges on GI. If he decides he wants to get out of his contract early, we will keep AJ. If Inglis sticks around for the duration we will lose AJ to another team for sure.

You can't keep a player on Winger money when other teams are offering a fullbacks wage.

doyen

Bench
I'm surprised nobody's raised this backline for down the track a bit in 2015.

Johnston
Auva'a
Inglis
Walker
Goodwin[or whoever]
Keary
Reynolds.

It would dramatically improve our defensive[& attacking]stocks in the centres.

And it would give Johnston a chance to display his wares at f/b.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Johnston
Auva'a
Inglis
Walker
Goodwin[or whoever]
Keary
Reynolds.

Madge won't move GI from fullback. That is currently his best position by far and there is no chance at all imo he would move to centre.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Souths shouldn't pay overs for AJ.

Yeah you're right there. Souths on second thoughts won't offer more than 350k.

Manuleleau could be as good as AJ anyway. There are big wraps on him.

I guess as they say, you can't keep them all.

southsport

First Grade

Exactly, that's why Souths let Sandow go, they had Reynolds ready to step up at a fraction of the salary.

Ttime

Juniors

Johnston
Auva'a
Inglis
Walker
Goodwin[or whoever]
Keary
Reynolds.

Are you trolling us??
yeah, move the best attacking player in the game from fullback into centre to sure up defence.
NAH! not going to happen champo.

Unless you had forgotten Auva'a and Walker were great defensive centres. As soon as they are back we are sweet.

doyen

Bench
Are you trolling us??
yeah, move the best attacking player in the game from fullback into centre to sure up defence.
NAH! not going to happen champo.

Unless you had forgotten Auva'a and Walker were great defensive centres. As soon as they are back we are sweet.

Still not a good enough attacking game to play f/b for Qld though.

I'm thinking more along the lines of ensuring we don't lose a 21 yr old,budding champion f/b, in Johnston.

GI would still be a great attacking player in the centres as he is for Aust. & Qld

I do realise,however,that it will not happen,BUT, Johnston could provide equal attacking potency from the back.

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors

From what I've read of AJ's comments over the last few months and from last season, I think playing in the position that he wants, which is fullback, is more likely to decide his future than money. I've heard in countless interviews with him and comments in Big League, that he really wants to play fullback as that is his best position. What we could do is back end his contract in the anticipation that Greg Inglis decides to try his hand at rugby at the end of 2016 (or sooner).

I think if Rugby Union came in for Inglis then we should let him go - the guy will be 29 and probably won't get any better; if anything his best years may be behind him and even if he remains at the peak of his powers its not as if we're selling him to one of our rivals. Preferably, it would suit us better if we could release him while still under contract that way we can have first crack at him if he wants to come back to the NRL if he is still playing well.

Inglis is also on a stack of money and by letting him go, it could provide us with an opportunity to not only retain Johnston but also sign another player i.e. Sam Burgess whose stint in rugby could be coming to an end! Alex Johnston is the future and a long-term option at fullback - we need him more than Inglis in a sense!

rabbitohs95

Bench
A close mate of mine played with Alex for La Perouse and spoke to AJ's family recently and they said he's keen to stay and ply his trade and money won't be a massive factor for him but would be looking for an upgrade. With the Roosters signing Omar Slaimankhel that debunks the myth he could go to them.

I agree with most saying we should sign AJ til the end of 2017 and see what happens between him and Inglis. I for one wouldn't mind seeing Inglis leave after 2017 if that means AJ is ready to play fullback. No player is bigger than the team and GI will be around 30 then.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Still not a good enough attacking game to play f/b for Qld though.

I'm thinking more along the lines of ensuring we don't lose a 21 yr old,budding champion f/b, in Johnston.

GI would still be a great attacking player in the centres as he is for Aust. & Qld

I do realise,however,that it will not happen,BUT, Johnston could provide equal attacking potency from the back.

I have to disagree. AJ doesn't have as good attack and skill at fullback as what GI does.

AJ at fullback isn't in the same class as GI.

Manuleleau is 20 and could be as good as AJ or better after he's fully developed. As has been said Manuleleau has been touted as a future star and he played for U20s Kiwis I think which has only helped his development.

Rabbits20

Immortal
A close mate of mine played with Alex for La Perouse and spoke to AJ's family recently and they said he's keen to stay and ply his trade and money won't be a massive factor for him but would be looking for an upgrade. With the Roosters signing Omar Slaimankhel that debunks the myth he could go to them.

I agree with most saying we should sign AJ til the end of 2017 and see what happens between him and Inglis. I for one wouldn't mind seeing Inglis leave after 2017 if that means AJ is ready to play fullback. No player is bigger than the team and GI will be around 30 then.

Fingers crossed!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

Debunks the myth.

Omar is mid-season depth no more.
He was horrible at Fullback and got taken over by Peta Hiku who on no money and not rated originally in Auckland.

Roosters have Mitchell but might look to promise Johnston the fullback spot for a few years and develop mitchell on wing/centres

alien

Referee
if it comes down to choosing between AJ or GI, then GI should be chosen. GI is a future immortal and it's players like him who are a big part of winning premierships. you don't let players like that go. AJ is good, but he isn't GI good. GI only turned 28 this year, so he could be a world class player for another 6 years after this year. in saying that though, i hope we can keep both

Last edited:

ram raid

Bench
AJ will be gone next year. Unless he's willing to take unders he's gone. That's the salary cap.