What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AJ (can we retain him)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Next week it's expected Souths will announce the re-signing of AJ for one more season. AJ doesn't want a longer term agreement yet as he wants to see what GI does after the 2016 season.

alien

Referee
I am expecting that GI will head back to Qld at the end of 2016.

and if that happens aj will sign again with souths on possibly more money to play fullback, and a good winger will need to be found from another club, or one of the young outside backs gets the job. aj could go to another club next year and make more money and play fullback i reckon, but it seems he is willing to sacrifice a bit of coin for one year to stay with souths :)

Last edited:

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
One thing though.

Why? Seems like besides his speed he really isn't anything special. You guys have some crazy Juniors coming through. Seems like AJ is quite one dimensional.

hurricane57

Juniors
One thing though.

Why? Seems like besides his speed he really isn't anything special. You guys have some crazy Juniors coming through. Seems like AJ is quite one dimensional.

I agree, he's fast but most wingers are. I hope Souths don't offer him too much, wingers are a dime a dozen.

Ttime

Juniors
I agree, he's fast but most wingers are. I hope Souths don't offer him too much, wingers are a dime a dozen.

yeah... and he isn't even THAT fast.
There are plenty of faster wingers... he is fast enough to score but not fast enough to rely on his speed to make something out of nothing like James Roberts, Reece Robinson, RGS, Valentine Holmes or even Dylan Walker...

rabbitohs95

Bench
One thing though.

At the present time I agree somewhat however at fullback he has pros and cons.

Pros: Speed, agility, high ball, ball support, aggressive attack

Cons: One on one defence, cleaning up grubbers, defensive positioning

In time he will learn to fix his cons and his pros outweigh these. Some of his linebreaks have been freakish and he'll only get better under a good coach and team.

doyen

Bench
At the present time I agree somewhat however at fullback he has pros and cons.

Pros: Speed, agility, high ball, ball support, aggressive attack

Cons: One on one defence, cleaning up grubbers, defensive positioning

In time he will learn to fix his cons and his pros outweigh these. Some of his linebreaks have been freakish and he'll only get better under a good coach and team.

The kid is only 20 & has an Aussie jumper packed away!

His No. 1 spot is f/b but he has played only a miniscule amt of time there in 1st grade.
He will,for certain,grow into that posse in time & be a bloody beauty.

The kid is that good an athlete that he's been able to rep his country away from his chosen posse.

And he is very fast!!

Last edited:
yeah... and he isn't even THAT fast.
There are plenty of faster wingers... he is fast enough to score but not fast enough to rely on his speed to make something out of nothing like James Roberts, Reece Robinson, RGS, Valentine Holmes or even Dylan Walker...
Holmes isn't that quick, Tupou and Guerra caught him pretty easily when we played the Sharks earlier this year.

I assume RGS is supposed to be RTS who wouldn't be as fast as Johnston. Actually prior to this year a lot of our fans were doubting him because he was too slow.

I used to think Johnston was just the new Nathan Merritt but he will be a great FB for you guys, or whoever he signs for.

hurricane57

Juniors
Holmes isn't that quick, Tupou and Guerra caught him pretty easily when we played the Sharks earlier this year.

I assume RGS is supposed to be RTS who wouldn't be as fast as Johnston. Actually prior to this year a lot of our fans were doubting him because he was too slow.

I used to think Johnston was just the new Nathan Merritt but he will be a great FB for you guys, or whoever he signs for.

Well, he won't be a great fullback for Souths if he signs with Parramatta will he?:p:p:p

Galeforce

Bench
If AJ will only sign for 1 year , then he may as well pack his bags now.

Dragging this out so long, it is all about him , he is heading towards being a nomad. Good luck to him if that is his game . May as well go now because this drag out shows little interest in the team.

I am more interested in players who want to play career at Souths.

southsport

First Grade
If AJ will only sign for 1 year , then he may as well pack his bags now.

Dragging this out so long, it is all about him , he is heading towards being a nomad. Good luck to him if that is his game . May as well go now because this drag out shows little interest in the team.

I am more interested in players who want to play career at Souths.

Bad idea.

Latest posts