What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ALAN JONES

Dragon David

First Grade
I've read that Ward Pally Austin had penile implant surgery sometime in 1996. He couldn't wait to get back to having some action after the surgery. He died in 1998 so he must have been quite busy. How can anyone forget his catchphrases - "a rickapoodie and a fandooglie", "Too much for the human unit" and "Anytime you're ready Pallie" and of course his reference to the "how would you like something hot and throbbing between your legs" He was a big hit when he was on 2UW and quite controversial.

Gareth67

First Grade
OT,I think that, as with many things we jumped on trends coming out of the U.S. where the Shock Jock idea was born. I remember both Rogers and Laws were both gentlemen even though there was supposed to be a feud between them. Laws used to sign off with "Be Kind to Each Other". Both are still on the air, aged in their 90's!

I used to work at the Woolamaloo wharf as a maintenance handyman where both John Laws and gladiator Crowe lived . Occasionally he would drive pass me in the basement car-park and give me a wave . Naturally being a pleasant chap myself I would return the wave without actually realizing who it was behind the wheel of the dark blue Bentley .

I happen to mention it to a electrician who told me that it was John Laws “ he waves whenever he sees me “ was his reply . “ He reckons that the blue collared workers don’t have their noses in the air like many of the people in his profession “

Food for thought .

blue bags

First Grade
I used to work at the Woolamaloo wharf as a maintenance handyman where both John Laws and gladiator Crowe lived . Occasionally he would drive pass me in the basement car-park and give me a wave . Naturally being a pleasant chap myself I would return the wave without actually realizing who it was behind the wheel of the dark blue Bentley .

I happen to mention it to a electrician who told me that it was John Laws “ he waves whenever he sees me “ was his reply . “ He reckons that the blue collared workers don’t have their noses in the air like many of the people in his profession “

Food for thought .
wow . i have done work there aswell, as a subbie, for Russell crowe. and for the other tenants, restaurants, shops, they say mr laws is very nice, grounded, down to earth , someone you can relate to. its not that hard to be grounded with the everyday normal day people , working day battlers from all walks of society

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Great read, thanks Willow
I used to live and work in Newtown, for years. Seen a lot of changes there, transformations from low income migrant battlers to gentrification and gay pubs. It didn't matter to me, Newtown is still Newtown and I would go to the same places regardless of the changing landscape. In my experience, Newtown has always been open to everyone.

Nevertheless, I was surprised when I heard a rumour that Alan Jones had bought the old Champion Textiles warehouse in O'Connell Street. The building had been empty for years and I did notice it was being renovated. Now, I never saw anything of Jones wandering around or shopping like most folks, and I even questioned the rumour. But late one night I believe I saw him in the Newtown Hotel, sharing some space with an acquaintance. None of my business.

This memory prompted me to check if I recalled correctly, During my search, I found this blog...

Welcome to 12-18 O'Connell Street, Newtown NSW - former residence of Alan Jones. And no kids, he's NOT the vendor so whatever you're thinking, STOP thinking it immediately. You're disgusting, I hope you know that.
Linlk: http://www.propertymanifest.com/2011/05/time-for-some-sydney-love-alan-jones.html

And I came across this wonderful site with history of the old building... the former occupants may have shared some of Jones' views...

Champion Textiles Building, 16-18 O’Connell Street. This building is the former NSW Railway & Tramway Recreation Club....
The building cost £1,800 and was opened on 8 July 1911. The Club included a gymnasium (with boxing ring, wrestling mats and vapour baths)
...and women were excluded from membership.

More: https://www.newtownproject.com.au/l...-oconnell-town-prepared-by-bruce-baskerville/

Gareth67

First Grade
wow . i have done work there aswell, as a subbie, for Russell crowe. and for the other tenants, restaurants, shops, they say mr laws is very nice, grounded, down to earth , someone you can relate to. its not that hard to be grounded with the everyday normal day people , working day battlers from all walks of society

That is a coincidence Blue bags old mate , I was there in 2005 doing repairs to the tenant’s units and also as you yourself did the downstairs restaurants , in fact any maintenance to the actual wharf itself . Every Monday morning I had to log-in the amount of electricity and water that had been used by the boats and cruisers that had permanent moorings at the the Woolly Wharf .

As you know Russell Crowe and John Laws had their respective apartments ( or entire floors ) in the new modern block at the back of the old wharf , and very swanky they were too .

Had to change a downlight in old Rusty’s digs one day , basically just outside of the lift-door . The hallway was painted a brilliant red color and at the very end was a black Roman bust on a pedestal , most likely from the Gladiator film itself . He would usually walk on the Garden Island side of the wharf where the foot traffic was much less and always in the company of the ex-South Sydney prop who went over to Manly ( his name escapes me , but the fellow had a head like a potato - ) that’s it Spud Carroll !

Speaking about the Garden Island side , I would sit there and look across the water to where the Navy divers were swimming and use to think to myself if there were any Noah’s down below them . An old fella who often fish at the very end of the Woolly wharf told me that a small Tiger shark had taken his catch . Of course a few months later the unfortunate Navy diver had a run-in with a bull shark there .

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed working there , hell I would even do a bit of fishing occasionally- what more could a man ask for ? But the traveling to and from the place finally wore me down and unfortunately had to leave . Still as I said it was a wonderful place to work and also to enjoy an occasional beer after work at one of the local pubs .

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
That is a coincidence Blue bags old mate , I was there in 2005 doing repairs to the tenant’s units and also as you yourself did the downstairs restaurants , in fact any maintenance to the actual wharf itself . Every Monday morning I had to log-in the amount of electricity and water that had been used by the boats and cruisers that had permanent moorings at the the Woolly Wharf .

As you know Russell Crowe and John Laws had their respective apartments ( or entire floors ) in the new modern block at the back of the old wharf , and very swanky they were too .

Had to change a downlight in old Rusty’s digs one day , basically just outside of the lift-door . The hallway was painted a brilliant red color and at the very end was a black Roman bust on a pedestal , most likely from the Gladiator film itself . He would usually walk on the Garden Island side of the wharf where the foot traffic was much less and always in the company of the ex-South Sydney prop who went over to Manly ( his name escapes me , but the fellow had a head like a potato - ) that’s it Spud Carroll !

Speaking about the Garden Island side , I would sit there and look across the water to where the Navy divers were swimming and use to think to myself if there were any Noah’s down below them . An old fella who often fish at the very end of the Woolly wharf told me that a small Tiger shark had taken his catch . Of course a few months later the unfortunate Navy diver had a run-in with a bull shark there .

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed working there , hell I would even do a bit of fishing occasionally- what more could a man ask for ? But the traveling to and from the place finally wore me down and unfortunately had to leave . Still as I said it was a wonderful place to work and also to enjoy an occasional beer after work at one of the local pubs .
nice chat, some huge sharks in the harbour for sure now, that its cleaner
i was told by someone that works around on the harbour , and he saw a pelican , eat a fairy penguin , wow amazing, i heard storys of pelicans eating all sorts of things on the beach, like tiny dogs, charwowies lol . turtles, tortoises , seen them eat , ducks, pigeons, seagulls, huge fish, crabs, they would eat anything, that would fit into there beak lol

Gareth67

First Grade
nice chat, some huge sharks in the harbour for sure now, that its cleaner
i was told by someone that works around on the harbour , and he saw a pelican , eat a fairy penguin , wow amazing, i heard storys of pelicans eating all sorts of things on the beach, like tiny dogs, charwowies lol . turtles, tortoises , seen them eat , ducks, pigeons, seagulls, huge fish, crabs, they would eat anything, that would fit into there beak lol

Thank goodness I am no longer there , I would be pelican bait for sure !

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The incident in London is the first thing I think of when old AJ gets mentioned. Then his appearance on the midday show with kerry Anne. He was hanging shit on chopper reed. Chopper phoned in and was put on the air live. The ensuing verbal exchange between him and jones is legendary

Last edited:
A lot of these media folk get too big for their boots.

Jones made a few good points and championed some very good causes... but these were sometimes overshadowed by his own agenda.

He enjoyed his perceived influence, especially radio so I imagine he’s very ill.

All this stuff is about entertainment and flogging product. All crap underneath.

Caught in the dingy London toilets was a good laugh. Went to show that no matter how grand and great you think you are... you have human frailty.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
People saying how brilliant and intelligent he was must realise how easy this is when all his calls were screened. It’s easy when everything is going your way but when challenged he turns to water.

Chopper read run rings around him and Kerri Anne saved his arse.

I used to live and work in Newtown, for years. Seen a lot of changes there, transformations from low income migrant battlers to gentrification and gay pubs. It didn't matter to me, Newtown is still Newtown and I would go to the same places regardless of the changing landscape. In my experience, Newtown has always been open to everyone.

Nevertheless, I was surprised when I heard a rumour that Alan Jones had bought the old Champion Textiles warehouse in O'Connell Street. The building had been empty for years and I did notice it was being renovated. Now, I never saw anything of Jones wandering around or shopping like most folks, and I even questioned the rumour. But late one night I believe I saw him in the Newtown Hotel, sharing some space with an acquaintance. None of my business.

This memory prompted me to check if I recalled correctly, During my search, I found this blog...

Welcome to 12-18 O'Connell Street, Newtown NSW - former residence of Alan Jones. And no kids, he's NOT the vendor so whatever you're thinking, STOP thinking it immediately. You're disgusting, I hope you know that.
Linlk: http://www.propertymanifest.com/2011/05/time-for-some-sydney-love-alan-jones.html

And I came across this wonderful site with history of the old building... the former occupants may have shared some of Jones' views...

Champion Textiles Building, 16-18 O’Connell Street. This building is the former NSW Railway & Tramway Recreation Club....
The building cost £1,800 and was opened on 8 July 1911. The Club included a gymnasium (with boxing ring, wrestling mats and vapour baths)
...and women were excluded from membership.

More: https://www.newtownproject.com.au/l...-oconnell-town-prepared-by-bruce-baskerville/

Willow, I interviewed Alan Jones there for the university paper in 1989.. You should have seen the decor. It was like he'd got Joan Collins in to do the renovations.

He offered me a pikelet. I overheard a phone call he had with someone which I will not go into. I wasn't eavesdropping: I was right there and he said what he said anyway.

Latest posts