What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ALAN JONES

With respect, f**k him and any legacy he hopes for.

The Gillard comment didn't come out of nowhere. It was no "gaffe". It was well thought out and scripted, and showed a total lack of human empathy.

He's a divisive, egomaniac.

Farewell and f**k off I say.

Yes, I was very critical of that comment too.

I think he’s on his way out if he’s giving up his big radio powerbase. It doesn’t make much sense otherwise.

He’s big on empathy for some things, but not others. It’s whatever he decides it to be.

98237785-A4DB-41DD-BBB3-35BA1DD977D0.jpeg
Could be an autobiography on the cards.

In this new book, Gloria takes us on a tour of enchanting London heritage sites and some of his favourite haunts from state visits spanning many decades.

Opinion/parody.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Excepts from Chris masters' article published in the SMH in 2006.
Link: https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-demons-that-drive-alan-jones-20061021-gdone7.html

In Margaret Thatcher's Britain, the police had been urged to be more vigilant about "cottaging", the liaising of homosexuals in public toilets. To the cops, protection of underage males was seen as legitimate work, but there were mixed views about the legitimacy of targeting homosexuals. So it was not always popular work with the young police who were usually assigned to this area.

To make it more interesting, the West End branch had begun an informal competition: because the occasional judge or politician was caught in their net, who paid for drinks at the end of the week rested on whose catch was the biggest. Later that day the word went breathlessly around the station that one team had caught Australia's future prime minister.

Two plain-clothes officers had been watching the underground public toilet at Broadwick Street from the roof and a nearby corner. They had seen a man in an aqua-coloured Lacoste sweater enter the toilet and became suspicious when he stayed inside for a longer than usual period.

Jones was arrested and taken to the Mayfair station, where he was charged with "outraging public decency" and "committing an indecent act". It is only fair to point out that prosecuting authorities were ultimately unprepared to present any evidence to support the charges.

------------------------------------

At the age of 29, he put Brisbane behind him and came south to teach at Sydney's old and exclusive King's School.
By 1973 Alan's impassioned support of some and lack of empathy for others became too great an issue to be ignored. There was deepening anxiety about continued late-night excursions to Jones's room. Chris Simkin was often in the room with Alan until late at night. "I was in there for hours. The door was never locked." Simkin says they used to watch The Ernie Sigley Show on television.

Scott Walker, another constant visitor, began to feel violated. "If you had muscle strain he would insist on strapping your legs. He would take you into the shower and tell you to take your clothes off. I was shattered with awkwardness. It was weird and uncomfortable and seemed voyeuristic."

Housemate Brian Porter says: "I never saw a breach of fiduciary duty. I never saw evidence of predatory behaviour. But he was manipulative and voyeuristic. He would love watching athletes on television and film. He saw the beauty of the human form in full flight. He loved the strength, the freshness and the vitality of boys."

Disquiet about Jones's attachment to some boys grew during a term break when one of the masters found a letter, written by Jones to a boy, that had been left behind in a classroom desk. In it Alan spoke of thinking about the boy late at night, expressing his love. While love letters to boys were hardly appropriate, neither were they regarded as smoking gun evidence of misbehaviour.

The innocent explanation was that Jones's letters were Byronesque exhortations of love and inspiration. Jones has spoken of his belief that males should not feel ashamed of expressing love for one another. "You mean so much to me," one boy remembers him saying when Jones drove him home. The English teacher often made a feature of his sensitivity, telling boys he was too affected by human suffering to teach history.

Nevertheless the discovery of the correspondence was one more reason to be shot of Jones. The majority of the housemasters penned a letter of their own. Addressed to headmaster Stanley Kurrle, the letter spoke emphatically of concern about Jones's influence and control over some boys, describing it as "bad, very bad". To these masters Jones had become a baleful presence, to one an Alcibiades, a charismatic and devious peddler of loyalty.

The question of when, even whether, the letter actually arrived on Stanley Kurrle's desk is disputed or lost to memory. Kurrle is unsure about the letter, well remembered by others, including one who refused to sign it. Peter Spencer, who also lived in Broughton House at King's, defended Jones and was not alone in seeing his colleague as subject to victimisation and jealousy.

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-demons-that-drive-alan-jones-20061021-gdone7.html

In Margaret Thatcher's Britain, the police had been urged to be more vigilant about "cottaging", the liaising of homosexuals in public toilets. To the cops, protection of underage males was seen as legitimate work, but there were mixed views about the legitimacy of targeting homosexuals. So it was not always popular work with the young police who were usually assigned to this area.

To make it more interesting, the West End branch had begun an informal competition: because the occasional judge or politician was caught in their net, who paid for drinks at the end of the week rested on whose catch was the biggest. Later that day the word went breathlessly around the station that one team had caught Australia's future prime minister.

Two plain-clothes officers had been watching the underground public toilet at Broadwick Street from the roof and a nearby corner. They had seen a man in an aqua-coloured Lacoste sweater enter the toilet and became suspicious when he stayed inside for a longer than usual period.

Jones was arrested and taken to the Mayfair station, where he was charged with "outraging public decency" and "committing an indecent act". It is only fair to point out that prosecuting authorities were ultimately unprepared to present any evidence to support the charges.

At the age of 29, he put Brisbane behind him and came south to teach at Sydney's old and exclusive King's School.
By 1973 Alan's impassioned support of some and lack of empathy for others became too great an issue to be ignored. There was deepening anxiety about continued late-night excursions to Jones's room. Chris Simkin was often in the room with Alan until late at night. "I was in there for hours. The door was never locked." Simkin says they used to watch The Ernie Sigley Show on television.

Scott Walker, another constant visitor, began to feel violated. "If you had muscle strain he would insist on strapping your legs. He would take you into the shower and tell you to take your clothes off. I was shattered with awkwardness. It was weird and uncomfortable and seemed voyeuristic."

Housemate Brian Porter says: "I never saw a breach of fiduciary duty. I never saw evidence of predatory behaviour. But he was manipulative and voyeuristic. He would love watching athletes on television and film. He saw the beauty of the human form in full flight. He loved the strength, the freshness and the vitality of boys."

Disquiet about Jones's attachment to some boys grew during a term break when one of the masters found a letter, written by Jones to a boy, that had been left behind in a classroom desk. In it Alan spoke of thinking about the boy late at night, expressing his love. While love letters to boys were hardly appropriate, neither were they regarded as smoking gun evidence of misbehaviour.

The innocent explanation was that Jones's letters were Byronesque exhortations of love and inspiration. Jones has spoken of his belief that males should not feel ashamed of expressing love for one another. "You mean so much to me," one boy remembers him saying when Jones drove him home. The English teacher often made a feature of his sensitivity, telling boys he was too affected by human suffering to teach history.

Nevertheless the discovery of the correspondence was one more reason to be shot of Jones. The majority of the housemasters penned a letter of their own. Addressed to headmaster Stanley Kurrle, the letter spoke emphatically of concern about Jones's influence and control over some boys, describing it as "bad, very bad". To these masters Jones had become a baleful presence, to one an Alcibiades, a charismatic and devious peddler of loyalty.

The question of when, even whether, the letter actually arrived on Stanley Kurrle's desk is disputed or lost to memory. Kurrle is unsure about the letter, well remembered by others, including one who refused to sign it. Peter Spencer, who also lived in Broughton House at King's, defended Jones and was not alone in seeing his colleague as subject to victimisation and jealousy.
Have you read Chris Masters's Jonestown? They used to call him "Six Cuts Til Blood" Jones at Brisbane Grammar because of his reputation for caning boys with their pants down. Which, I might add, was legal. Teachers used to beat adolescents with pieces of wood. Jones was one of them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Have you read Chris Masters's Jonestown? They used to call him "Six Cuts Til Blood" Jones at Brisbane Grammar because of his reputation for caning boys with their pants down. Which, I might add, was legal. Teachers used to beat adolescents with pieces of wood. Jones was one of them.
Not read it but well aware of it. I understand the first attempt to publish it was thwarted by Jones's lawyers, and another publisher picked it up?

Of course you mongs don’t like Alan Jones.

He’s intelligent, successful and has class.

All totally foreign to you inbred dole bludgers!

He seemed to be quite taken by at least some of the boys in his charge, a question being whether or not it crossed into matters internally untoward.

I do not find letters appropriate or helpful to a boy, let alone one at boarding school, notwithstanding any emotional gratification they provided for Alan at the time.

Certainly a misjudgment.

Having said that, I agree with him that his sexual preferences are his own affair entirely.

As it was for Ian Roberts (playing for Manly that day) whom I saw and heard being vilified by a fan until our loudmouth was struck firmly in the head by a gentlemen with an opposing view. Ian studiously ignored the fracas.

Generally, I find the frequenting of public toilets for sexual acts is somewhat distasteful and can be bit of a nuisance.

If the authorities wanted to build special “ AJ” blocks closeby, I wouldn’t have any issues.

I heard what happened in that toilet block he visited from a good source, that the wonderful Chris Masters probably knows, but is not revealing. No pikelet was harmed.

Gareth67

First Grade

Recall that occurring to 2 classmates at a Sydney suburban school . Both lads told their dads who were around the school the following morning. The teacher was only saved by the Headmistress who came between them .

Needless to say he , the teacher left the school immediately and found employment at - The Kings School Parramatta !

Recall that occurring to 2 classmates at a Sydney suburban school . Both lads told their dads who were around the school the following morning. The teacher was only saved by the Headmistress who came between them .
Needless to say he , the teacher left the school immediately and found employment at - The Kings School Parramatta !

A teacher lays a hand on my kids, the headmaster becomes collateral damage.

Different era Silverdale. Don't know when the cane was phased out, but it was practice in the first half of the eighties when I was at high school. Your parents could conscientiously object - my mum sent a letter saying they couldn't hit me - but unless they did you were at risk.

I always wondered how teachers got their canes. They must have ordered them through procurement like pens and exercise books.

Different era Silverdale. Don't know when the cane was phased out, but it was practice in the first half of the eighties when I was at high school. Your parents could conscientiously object - my mum sent a letter saying they couldn't hit me - but unless they did you were at risk.

I always wondered how teachers got their canes. They must have ordered them through procurement like pens and exercise books.

Thanks.

I congratulate your mum for standing up to this terror. Reflects well on her.

Dragon David

First Grade
I can remember the days when the teachers used to carry the canes with them into the classroom as if the canes were part of their dress code, the bastards.

I got caned a couple of times in high school. The 1st when the class was waiting for the woodwork teacher to come to class. He was late and us guys were looking out of the 1st floor window to see if he was coming and the deputy principal saw us and gave the whole class the cane for looking out of the window. The 2nd time was when i failed a business principles test. The teacher warned us that whoever failed the test would get the cane.

To this day, I have not had any desire to learn about business principles because of that incident, he just turned me off. Nothing could be done to the teacher for this as the cane was an accepted corporal punishment that they gladly liked to dish out.

Alan Jones would have liked dishing out 6 of the best.

Gareth67

First Grade

Quite sure that is exactly what both fathers had in mind , however the Headmistress put her body between them . Her actions and the hysterical screaming of 10 year old kids brought all concerned to their senses .

This occurred in the early 60’s , not that father’s have changed since then , but there was a lot of bush land around where a person could quite easily disappear and never be heard of again .

Last edited: