What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ALAN JONES

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I can remember the days when the teachers used to carry the canes with them into the classroom as if the canes were part of their dress code, the bastards.

I got caned a couple of times in high school. The 1st when the class was waiting for the woodwork teacher to come to class. He was late and us guys were looking out of the 1st floor window to see if he was coming and the deputy principal saw us and gave the whole class the cane for looking out of the window. The 2nd time was when i failed a business principles test. The teacher warned us that whoever failed the test would get the cane.

To this day, I have not had any desire to learn about business principles because of that incident, he just turned me off. Nothing could be done to the teacher for this as the cane was an accepted corporal punishment that they gladly liked to dish out.

Alan Jones would have liked dishing out 6 of the best.

Was being phased out by the time I got to high school, but we all used to get the cane in primary, and for equally stupid reasons. Kids got caned for being unable to answer maths questions. Kids got caned for not paying attention. Kids got caned because they forgot to bring a handkerchief. More brutal and less civilized in those days.

Dragon David

First Grade
Was being phased out by the time I got to high school, but we all used to get the cane in primary, and for equally stupid reasons. Kids got caned for being unable to answer maths questions. Kids got caned for not paying attention. Kids got caned because they forgot to bring a handkerchief. More brutal and less civilized in those days.

In the days when the cane was used, I think they basically used it to get the "quota" up for each day. Some kids copping it pretty regularly and to me it was abusive. As you say JohnnoMcJohnno for lots of the reasons as you have shown.
I can remember when I was about 9 in 1956, I got kicked up the backside by one of the head teachers at the school I went to during assembly for not picking up any litter which was asked of the pupils to do when the assembly was dismissed. There was nothing for me to pick up and it is amazing how these little things stay in you mind.

Old Timer

Coach
In the days when the cane was used, I think they basically used it to get the "quota" up for each day. Some kids copping it pretty regularly and to me it was abusive. As you say JohnnoMcJohnno for lots of the reasons as you have shown.
I can remember when I was about 9 in 1956, I got kicked up the backside by one of the head teachers at the school I went to during assembly for not picking up any litter which was asked of the pupils to do when the assembly was dismissed. There was nothing for me to pick up and it is amazing how these little things stay in you mind.
I experienced a few female teachers in primary school who took great delight in dishing out the cane and some were far more sadistic than the male teachers.

In high school we had a science master who loved to burst into a classroom of new 1st formers and wallop the desk with his cane as his first act of intimidation.

Funny enough if you were a student that tried your best he would bend over backwards to help you but he was totally intolerant of misbehaviour, uncompleted homework / assignments or shoddy books. Any of that and out into the corridor for 6 of the best as it was affectionately referred to.

We had a music teacher who had about 6 or 7 different canes and loved to dish it out usually picking on the weaker kids. We hid all his canes in the piano one day and were shocked when he just trotted next door to borrow one from a more than obliging fellow teacher.

You are 100% correct that many saw the cane as part of their uniform.

I have a friend whose wife was brought up with the odd junior beating at home.

So when their kids were little, she was about to pass down the ugly tradition and his response was sure and swift which was to say to her:

“ Well, you’ll have to get through me first”

And given he’s 6.4 and used to be a black belt (and a massive five-eigth) that put an end to the child beating cycle.

He’s a good bloke, ex Steelers supporter but lost interest when, in his eyes, the club became a pair of socks.

He’d be the first bloke to sign up on a de-joint venturing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Different era Silverdale. Don't know when the cane was phased out, but it was practice in the first half of the eighties when I was at high school. Your parents could conscientiously object - my mum sent a letter saying they couldn't hit me - but unless they did you were at risk.

I always wondered how teachers got their canes. They must have ordered them through procurement like pens and exercise books.
I always imagined the cane started out as a pointer stick to the blackboard, and later evolved into a weapon.

I recall the maximum allowable 'cuts of the cane' was six. I think it was a state law, I suppose there had to be some sort of limit on corporal punishment being handed out to children. Nevertheless, "six of the best" was commonly heard.

First time I copped it was in my first year of primary school, and on the first day of school that year. Fresh out of infants school. The Deputy Headmaster, a mean bastard called Mr Hodder, went from class-to-class, picking out kids at random. I recall the teacher holding up a picture of a cow and asking us, "what noise does this make?" I said, "mooo!" At that point, Mr Hodder poked he head in through the door and yelled, "You just booed at the teacher. Come with me!" Obvious misunderstanding, but there was no point in me speaking up. The young teacher didn't intervene, to be fair she might have only been just out of school herself.

He walked myself about three other boys down the hallway and into a large room full of kids our age. I guess he meant to make an example us and send some sort of 'message' to the new kids. One-by-one, he gave the other boys two cuts of the cane. Then he came to me and pronounced loudly, "and this rude boy said "boo" to his teacher, so you get four cuts of the cane!" So I got two on each hand and the obligatory humiliation thrown in for free.

I was about 7 or 8 years old. If only we had the experience of adults, we could have sorted out the bastard and the whole school. But of course, nothing happened and I didn't even mention it to my parents.

I must have been marked after that because I got the cane regularly, the last time was two years later when one teacher stepped over the mark.

At lunch time we would play football on what was then the local Rugby League field in Wheat Park. It was just off school grounds so we were sometimes late getting back to class. The teacher, Mr Rudder, a 30-something bloke with a terrible hairpiece, warned us that if it happened again we would get one cut each for every minute we were late. Now, I don't know how that works with 9 and 10 year old kids who love playing footy and don't have a single wristwatch between them - even if you were lucky enough to have a watch, you don't wear it while playing on the gravel that was Wheat Park.

Suffice to say, a number of us were late by over 10 minutes. Mr Rudder decided that it earned us 12 cuts of the cane, each. And there were at least five of us. The halls were ringing out with the cane for the next 30 minutes. The class was a shambles, the kids were mucking up deluxe - in retrospect it is obvious that the teacher had lost his way.

The next day I recall someone's mother storming into the classroom just to abuse Mr Rudder. he returned the insults and told her to go away. The next day after that, we were informed that Mr Rudder had gone 'on leave'.

Myself and the other boys never got the cane again. And we kept on playing footy during our lunch break.

Dragon David

First Grade
I always imagined the cane started out as a pointer stick to the blackboard, and later evolved into a weapon.

I recall the maximum allowable 'cuts of the cane' was six. I think it was a state law, I suppose there had to be some sort of limit on corporal punishment being handed out to children. Nevertheless, "six of the best" was commonly heard.

First time I copped it was in my first year of primary school, and on the first day of school that year. Fresh out of infants school. The Deputy Headmaster, a mean bastard called Mr Hodder, went from class-to-class, picking out kids at random. I recall the teacher holding up a picture of a cow and asking us, "what noise does this make?" I said, "mooo!" At that point, Mr Hodder poked he head in through the door and yelled, "You just booed at the teacher. Come with me!" Obvious misunderstanding, but there was no point in me speaking up. The young teacher didn't intervene, to be fair she might have only been just out of school herself.

He walked myself about three other boys down the hallway and into a large room full of kids our age. I guess he meant to make an example us and send some sort of 'message' to the new kids. One-by-one, he gave the other boys two cuts of the cane. Then he came to me and pronounced loudly, "and this rude boy said "boo" to his teacher, so you get four cuts of the cane!" So I got two on each hand and the obligatory humiliation thrown in for free.

I was about 7 or 8 years old. If only we had the experience of adults, we could have sorted out the bastard and the whole school. But of course, nothing happened and I didn't even mention it to my parents.

I must have been marked after that because I got the cane regularly, the last time was two years later when one teacher stepped over the mark.

At lunch time we would play football on what was then the local Rugby League field in Wheat Park. It was just off school grounds so we were sometimes late getting back to class. The teacher, Mr Rudder, a 30-something bloke with a terrible hairpiece, warned us that if it happened again we would get one cut each for every minute we were late. Now, I don't know how that works with 9 and 10 year old kids who love playing footy and don't have a single wristwatch between them - even if you were lucky enough to have a watch, you don't wear it while playing on the gravel that was Wheat Park.

Suffice to say, a number of us were late by over 10 minutes. Mr Rudder decided that it earned us 12 cuts of the came, each. And there were at least five of us. The halls were ringing out with the cane for the next 30 minutes. The class was a shambles, the kids were mucking up deluxe - in retrospect it is obvious that the teacher had lost his way.

The next day I recall someone's mother storming into the classroom just to abuse Mr Rudder. he returned the insults and told her to go away. The next day after that, we were informed that Mr Rudder had gone 'on leave'.

Myself and the other boys never got the cane again. And we kept on playing footy during our lunch break.
This is indeed a great but sorry story Willow. Thank you for sharing it with us. God I hope those bastards are not resting in piece.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This is indeed a great but sorry story Willow. Thank you for sharing it with us. God I hope those bastards are not resting in piece.
It was a long time ago DD. School Assembly every morning, including on hot summer days, and we were told to sing God Save the Queen. I'm sure it turned me against the monarchy. lol.

Dragon David

First Grade
It was a long time ago DD. School Assembly every morning, including hot summer days, and we were told to sing God Save the Queen. I'm sure it turned me against the monarchy. lol.
Yes I can imagine. Those were the days my friend. A lot of good times to be had in an era of simplistic views. An era when the mighty Dragons just kept on winning and winning and winning. All of these experiences making us what we are today!

Probably Willows experience has imbued a deep sense of justice in him throughout his life.

The world is full of moo-ers and those who seek to further their own ends from their persecution.

I agree we should be cautious and hesitant to condemn sans a full understanding.

And in my world, I would err on the side of caution and let jdb and even Xerri compete until the process is complete, has delivered a finding.

As uncomfortable as it may seem, no moo-er should be harmed.

On the balance, Willows experience seems to have served him well. He seems laid back, although will take the humourous point when the occasion arises.
Sometimes it’s too hard to resist’

YoHadrian

Juniors
Of course you mongs don’t like Alan Jones.

He’s intelligent, successful and has class.

All totally foreign to you inbred dole bludgers!

I suspect that if you replace the face in your avatar with Alan Jones you would have found your peak adult image & would never leave the house.

TruSaint

Referee

Suffice to say, a number of us were late by over 10 minutes. Mr Rudder decided that it earned us 12 cuts of the cane, each. And there were at least five of us. The halls were ringing out with the cane for the next 30 minutes. The class was a shambles, the kids were mucking up deluxe - in retrospect it is obvious that the teacher had lost his way.

I copped a double whammy.

Normal school days, the occasional cane, come weekend I had Greek school held at a church and copped the ruler behind the legs.

Being in a church basement, it didnt seem right. :(

Gareth67

First Grade
It was a long time ago DD. School Assembly every morning, including hot summer days, and we were told to sing God Save the Queen. I'm sure it turned me against the monarchy. lol.

Don’t forget the free bottle of milk that we all had after singing the anthem - and Empire Day when we all had half the day off school so we could all go home and build our bonfires :fire:.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Don’t forget the free bottle of milk that we all had after singing the anthem - and Empire Day when we all had half the day off school so we could all go home and build our bonfires :fire:.
Empire Day? Geez, Gareth, how old are you?

I do miss cracker nights. But even back then I knew its days were numbered.

I remember a police officer on the TV news lecturing about the dangers of fireworks. He explained that six thunder bungers were equal to a stick of dynamite. The next day, there was a rush on thunders with kids twisting six wicks together. I'm sure the police officer meant well.

Pretty sure the free milk stopped by primary school. In my school, it was never chilled, sometimes sat in the sun for ages. It only took one kid to mutter that there was a fly in their milk to cause a panic amongst the other kids. ;)

Gareth67

First Grade
Empire Day? Geez, Gareth, how old are you?

I do miss cracker nights. But even back then I knew its days were numbered.

I remember a police officer on TV lecturing about the dangers of fireworks. He explained that six thunder bungers were equal to a stick of dynamite. The next day, there was a rush on thunders with kids twisting six wicks together. I'm sure the police officer meant well.

Pretty sure the free milk stopped by primary school. In my school, it was never chilled, sometimes sat in the sun for ages. It only took one kid to mutter that there was a fly in their milk to cause a panic amongst the other kids. ;)

Well I to be honest I don’t know if the anthem went “ her majesty or his majesty . . . “

What I do recall is that a penny went a long way back then , for instance for bus fares my mum ( me being the brains of the outfit of 6 kids ) would give me six-pence wrapped in a handkerchief tied with a knot . And also that there was the steam train at Carlingford station that took us to Clyde station to connect with the main line to wherever.

But to answer your question Willow , that and a little bit more .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
tenor.gif

Latest posts