What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albany Trial

ozbash

Referee
Surely Ivan will give an indication of the make up of his preferred starting line up for Rd 1 at this game.

It is the 4th trial...

JAG

Juniors
You would hope so as this is the last hit-out before the season starts.

Few tough choices to be made, I think Ivan will be going through a few pencils trying to work out who is going where.

I'll be interested to see who the centres are on Saturday.

Skinner

Coach
The final trial squad is generally a decent indication of the squad for round one. He definitely has a job ahead of him.

hitman82

Bench
I assume they will still head in with an extended squad (as far as the likely starters go anyway) so it probably won't give us much indication of what Round 1 is going to look like.

As far as I am concerned, the only decision Ivan needs to make is what position Feleti plays, whether Ukuma or Brown gets the second row bench spot, and whether Inu, Locke or Fish gets the wing spot.

I just hope Rapira's injury isn't serious... if so, that will make Round 1 interesting.

Hoping he names his gtop line up. Im hoping for

Hohaia
Manu
Ropati
Moon
Locke
Maloney
Seymore Butts

Rapira
Heremaia
Packer
Mannering
Mateo
Luck

Matolino
Rapira Steve
Berrigan
Taii
Lillytard
Brown

Ponsonby Ponies 4rd grade

1 Inu

devoid

Juniors
Sam Rapira cleared of serious injury - expected to be available round 1. He wont feature in the trial vs. Manly @ Albany this week.

Rich102

Staff member
Frontrower Sam Rapira has been cleared of serious injury and is expected to be available for selection when the New Zealand Warriors open their National Rugby League campaign on March 12.
The Kiwi prop injured a wrist in the Warriors' pre-season victory over Queensland Cup side the Burleigh Bears in Whangarei last weekend.
Coach Ivan Cleary said today that the results of scans on the wrist had shown no structural damage.
Cleary said Rapira wouldn't play in the club's final trial against Manly in Auckland this weekend.
However, he "should be fine" by the time the round-one fixture against Parramatta at Eden Park comes around.
Cleary said the two frontline players yet to appear in the Warriors' pre-season programme - skipper and second rower Simon Mannering and fullback Lance Hohaia - would both be in action against the Sea Eagles at North Harbour Stadium on Saturday.
- NZPA
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10708005&ref=rss

Skinner

Coach
The squad from : http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/813/Mannering-and-Hohaia-back-for-final-NRL-trial

VODAFONE WARRIORS v MANLY SEA EAGLES

North Harbour Stadium, Albany

6.00pm, Saturday, February 26

VODAFONE WARRIORS

SHAUN BERRIGAN
LEWIS BROWN
AARON HEREMAIA
LANCE HOHAIA
KRISNAN INU
JEREMY LATIMORE
JACOB LILLYMAN
KEVIN LOCKE
SIONE LOUSI
MICHEAL LUCK
JAMES MALONEY
SIMON MANNERING (c)
FELETI MATEO
BEN MATULINO
JOEL MOON
RUSSELL PACKER
STEVE RAPIRA
JEROME ROPATI
BRETT SEYMOUR
BILL TUPOU

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

JAG

Juniors
That's a fairly strong looking squad.

No Isaac John! I can already hear the wailing from up North.......

hitman82

Bench
I dreamt last night that we started Round 1 with Maloney at 7 and Mateo at 6... while i would find this interesting, I really hope not!!

Captain Simon Mannering and fullback Lance Hohaia will make their first appearances of the year in the Warriors' fourth and final National Rugby League pre-season trial against the Manly Sea Eagles at North Harbour Stadium on Saturday.
The Kiwi internationals, who had a heavy schedule last year, were rested from previous trials.
Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has included 13 players not used in last Saturday's 30-0 win against the Burleigh Bears in Whangarei.
He has opted not to risk winger Manu Vatuvei and prop Sam Rapira.
Vatuvei came out of the Rotorua trial against the Eels on February 12 with a corked thigh while Rapira has a wrist sprain received last weekend.
"They'll be fine for round one against the Eels at Eden Park (March 12) but there's no point playing them at this stage," Cleary said.
"We're happy with the way they're progressing and simply don't want to take a risk with them this week."
Those not chosen in the NRL squad are expected to play for the Auckland Vulcans in their trial against the Junior Warriors in Saturday's curtain-raiser.
The Warriors began their trials programme with a charity match against the Newcastle Knights in Greymouth on February 5 during a four-day visit to the West Coast.
On that visit they aimed to raise spirits in a community devastated by the Pike River mining disaster which claimed 29 lives.
Saturday's trial will be dedicated to the city of Christchurch following this week's earthquake tragedy.
Match organiser, North Harbour Stadium has announced all profits from the match will be donated to the Red Cross appeal for Christchurch.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10708436

...in the below article, it suggests Cleary isn't 100% sure on his halves, which scares me a bit...
Warriors rugby league coach Ivan Cleary still has the welcome prospect of facing round one of the NRL season with a near fully fit squad after scans on prop Sam Rapira's wrist showed there was no break.
Rapira, who complained of a sore wrist after last Saturday's 30-0 trial defeat of Queensland Cup side Burleigh, will miss the Warriors' final trial against Manly at North Harbour on Saturday.
But Cleary said he would be fit to face Parramatta in the National Rugby League season opener on March 12.
Wing Manu Vatuvei tweaked a thigh at training yesterday and is in doubt for Saturday's game but should also be fine for the Eels.
Only juniors Ivan Penehe and Shaun Johnson, on the injured list all off-season, remain sidelined.
Cleary said he would field an otherwise full-strength squad of 20 on Saturday but with what shapes as the deepest Warriors squad in years, said he still had doubts on his final lineup for round one.
"I'm probably one game away [from a decision]," Cleary smiled. "This week is important for a couple of positions and the make-up of the bench."
While Cleary's praise for Joel Moon suggests he has earned his chance as Brent Tate's right centre successor, Cleary still has questions over his halves and hooking combinations, selecting a goalkicker, and deciding who has won the three-way battle for the right wing spot between Glen Fisiaahi, Kevin Locke and Krisnan Inu.
Asked about that, Cleary said: "I've got to make [up my mind] next week, but I would be happy with any one of them, which is a pretty good position to be in. I will have a look at what happens this weekend, then go from there."
Cleary said both skipper Simon Mannering and fullback Lance Hohaia, yet to figure in pre-season because of heavy representative loads, would play and Mannering would be asked to play enough minutes to test his match fitness.
Manly too will be at full strength, naming a 24-man squad – to be cut to 22 – for the weekend which includes returning fullback Brett Stewart.
"It's about putting out our strongest team so far, them having a run together, and getting some continuity," said Cleary of this weekend's game. "We've got a lot of guys playing well and they are in good shape, and that's all you can ask for."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4691674/Fully-fit-Warriors-squad-a-pleasing-problem

Izz

Bench

Seymour hasn't really had any trial minutes (apart from the Coast game), so Cleary has to give him a run this weekend.

I'd be happy with either John or Seymour starting at 7 in RD1. Maloney better be 6!

ozbash

Referee

Well, I suppose they had to stick with Seymour. They contracted him and would look bloody stupid if they didnt use him, wouldnt they ?

Something about not being able to see the forrest for the trees ??:?

Good to see the 'Ro get a run :cool:

Skinner

Coach
Well, I suppose they had to stick with Seymour. They contracted him and would look bloody stupid if they didnt use him, wouldnt they ?

Something about not being able to see the forrest for the trees ??:?

Good to see the 'Ro get a run :cool:

Da Jman will kill 'em