What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alcohol summit to sober up NRL

innsaneink

Referee
Alcohol summit to sober up NRL

995392-brett-seymour.jpg

Incident ... Brett Seymour drunk in Cronulla. Source: The Daily Telegraph

AS THE hangover from its season of hell lingers, a revolution is looming to change rugby league's long link with alcohol.

The NRL is visiting each of the 16 clubs, asking players for advice on how best to deal with the issue of alcohol abuse.

A brainchild of the Australian Drug Foundation (ADF), the project intends to canvass the views of every stakeholder - players, coaches, strappers, directors, fans, sponsors, canteen ladies and media - on alcohol in rugby league.
The ADF will then recommend a code that will dictate minimum standards for service of alcohol at all NRL functions and games, as well as social events like Mad Monday.
Stage one of what shapes as a three-year process began in September, when ADF experts visited finals matches to look at the drinking habits of fans. The next step was a 45-minute presentation at each club - including South Sydney last week - to explain the ADF's research to the players.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

The Daily Telegraph sat in on the Rabbitohs visit, where the team's stars were handed questionnaires about how the game is faring in management of alcohol.

The ADF will return to each club in the new year and repeat the process with coaching staff, board members and office workers. There will be more visits to games over the first three rounds of the 2010 premiership - and fans, reporters, sponsors and junior league officials will also be consulted.
ADF national innovation manager Richard Colbran hopes to draft an NRL Alcohol Management Guideline by June.

The ADF and NRL have been working loosely together for the past two years, but last season's booze-fuelled disasters convinced the code it had a serious problem. Colbran said the ADF would recommend "significant changes'' that will arrive as a shock to the game's system.
"I'm not at liberty to go into specifics at this stage, but we are going to challenge the NRL big time with some of the changes that will be suggested,'' Colbran said. "We've got to be careful not to pre-empt anything, but already we're seeing things that need to be changed.
"That's not a criticism of rugby league. This isn't about criticising or even educating. It's about gathering everyone's feedback and then working out an umbrella management guideline for alcohol in rugby league.''
Colbran said the fact players weren't being targeted for rugby league's alcohol woes was a major difference in this project.
"Our approach with the NRL is that it's not always fair for the finger to be pointed at the players,'' Colbran said. "If the game is going to develop a consistent approach, then everyone needs to be included - from the chairman to the strapper. At the end of the day, we want rugby league to become a leader in this area and be an advocate about alcohol's impact on the community at large.''
NRL welfare and education manager Matt Francis has been liaising with the ADF during the project's initial stages.
Francis said the game's standard response to drunken controversies had been to point to society-wide problems.
"And we've probably got to move beyond that,'' Francis said. "We need to work out what the game is going to do in response. We can't use society as part of the reasoning or as an excuse. We need to respond as a game and also take a leading role in the community.''
Francis also guaranteed that the NRL would receive the ADF's recommendations with an open mind. "We wouldn't have taken on such a big process unless we accepted there are going to be some challenges [with implementation of the strategy]. But if we aren't proactive now, then those challenges are just going to be greater in the future,'' he said.
Colbran said the NRL had not spoken to the ADF about illicit drugs in the wake of the drugs charges laid against Danny Wicks.
"In theory we probably could do something similar with illicit drugs, but there would be a lot more difficulties because you are talking to people about an illegal activity,'' he said.
"When you talk about alcohol, people can talk freely. With drugs, there's a few more issues around what they can and can't say.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-sober-up-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1225813996381

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Alcohol misuse and related off-field misbehavior is the number one issue facing Rugby League, IMO.

Personally I believe that alcohol is a huge issue for the NRL. The vast majority of off-field incidents are alcohol related. If NRL players could get their interactions with alcohol sorted out, then this game would become a clean-skin sport almost overnight.

Unfortunately, too many people don't even believe there is a problem. Such attitudes will only ensure nothing is done to help resolves RL's off-field issues. I had a chat about this issue with the poster Kurt Angle a few weeks ago, and according to him there were no issues at all in relation to alcohol and the NRL. He believed that NRL players were no worse behaved than any other men of a similar age and income. "Run of the mill" was how he described NRL players behaviour.

innsaneink

Referee
This is PR, nothing more.
They have to do something, but most realize these incidents will continue, they have been a part of the game as long as the game itself - "boys will be boys".
Its only technology thats recently allowed everyone to stick their noses into players business.

Yeh...fify???

butchmcdick

Post Whore
How can the NRL take large amounts of cash from alcohol producers and them decry the damage that alcohol does to it's players ?

How about they call it a personal responsibility summit ? Each club can pledge that it's players will take responsibility for thier actions drunk or sober and the situations that they put themselves in . Each club will pledge to strap on a pair and stop making excuses for bad behavior and blaming society for individuals poors choices. How about that ?

Last edited:

Ali's Choice

Juniors
This is PR, nothing more.
They have to do something, but most realize these incidents will continue, they have been a part of the game as long as the game itself - "boys will be boys".
Its only technology thats recently allowed everyone to stick their noses into players business.

Yeh...fify???

So I take it you're from the 'There is no alcohol/behaviour problem in the NRL' camp?

Maybe you should let David Gallop know so he can stop wasting precious resources on campaigns like this?

Personally, I think a lot can be done, and it's great to see the NRL being proactive with initiatives such as this. Well done to them.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
How can the NRL take large amounts of cash from alcohol producers and them decry the damage that alcohol does to it's players ?

How about they call it a personal responsibility summit ? Each club can pledge that it's players will take responsibility for thier actions drunk or sober and the situations that they put themselves in ? Each club will pledge to strap on a pair and stop making excuses for bad behavior and blaming society for individuals poors choices. How about that ?

Good post.

I agree that ultimately responsibilty falls on the clubs and players, not the NRL itself. But the NRL can do a lot by encouraging initiatives such as this and the 'Responsibilty Summit' you mention. It's all about changing the boozy culture that exsists in some clubs, and these sorts of campaigns can only help.

innsaneink

Referee
So I take it you're from the 'There is no alcohol/behaviour problem in the NRL' camp?

Maybe you should let David Gallop know so he can stop wasting precious resources on campaigns like this?

Personally, I think a lot can be done, and it's great to see the NRL being proactive with initiatives such as this. Well done to them.

LOL...
Why would you think that?
Did you read what I posted?

Just for you once more.

but most realize these incidents will continue, they have been a part of the game as long as the game itself

Maybe you should loosen the headgear a notch, ali.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
insaneink,

I disagree with your belief that because a binge drinking culture has traditionally existed in RL, that nothing can be done about it. Great to see Gallop and the NRL are taking proactive steps to try and change attitudes towards alcohol in the sport.

country hick

Juniors
Players need to accept ownership of their problems (issues, habits, whatever you want to call it!!) and address those same isssues. If they require the suport of their employer (NRL club) then so be it - many workplaces now offer employee assistance programs for employees to address their personal issues that have either been brought upon the individual as a result of work or non work related issues.
All players are very much aware of the potential to end up as the headline news!!!

innsaneink

Referee
insaneink,

I disagree with your belief that because a binge drinking culture has traditionally existed in RL, that nothing can be done about it. Great to see Gallop and the NRL are taking proactive steps to try and change attitudes towards alcohol in the sport.

So you see a day when there will be no alcohol related incidents involving players?
Is the tooth fairy & easter bunny involved somehow as well?

macavity

Referee
Alcohol misuse and related off-field misbehavior is the number one issue facing Rugby League, IMO.

I agree by the way.

All sports have their pressing issues.

For RL it is alcohol, for AFL it is pack rape, and Rugby has two - break and enters and domestic violence.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
So you see a day when there will be no alcohol related incidents involving players?
Is the tooth fairy & easter bunny involved somehow as well?

No. But I see a day when the RL season isn't punctuated with an endless stream of unsavory off-field incidents, nearly all of which involved alcohol. You might think changing the culture of a sport, and the mindset of the players, is impossible. I don't.

I assume you think Gallop is wasting money trying to implement campaigns such as this?

innsaneink

Referee
No. But I see a day when the RL season isn't punctuated with an endless stream of unsavory off-field incidents, nearly all of which involved alcohol. You might think changing the culture of a sport, and the mindset of the players, is impossible. I don't.

I assume you think Gallop is wasting money trying to implement campaigns such as this?

I didnt say its impossible, I said these incidents will continue, much like you seem to concede.

PR is never a waste of money.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
I didnt say its impossible, I said these incidents will continue, much like you seem to concede.

PR is never a waste of money.

Are you suggesting that David Gallop and the NRL Board don't believe there is an alcohol/behaviour problem in the NRL, and are wasting money on campaigns like this purely for PR?

innsaneink

Referee
Are you a total f**kwit?

*They know theres a problem.
*Spending money on PR/damage control is not wasting money

Latest posts