What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apey

Staff member
My only issue with that is the NRL talks about horizontal - was this tackle ever past on the horizontal when the head was tucked into the chest.

I assume you mean before he tucked his head in, because otherwise that is a dumb question.

penalty.png

magpie4ever

First Grade
lmao the last thing anyone with a brain would do in that position is tilt their head f**king backwards :lol:

Nobody was giving you shit because you implied it was a deliberate action. Blind Freddy could see he purposefully tucked his head into his chest. That's not what you said, you believe he risked breaking his neck and paralysis to get a penalty in a football game.

If you honestly think moving your head backwards is a good idea when you think you're about to get flipped over then you are seriously very stupid. Instinct would be to duck and roll not stick your head out like a f**king moron.

I believe you are wrong, if you getting upended you try to break your fall and that is not done by placing your head against your chest.

If you are on the ground and about to get a kicking that is your primary move.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I assume you mean before he tucked his head in, because otherwise that is a dumb question.

penalty.png

Sadly, the head tuck was primarily responsible for the tackle to end up the way it happened.

And again, I feel for and pray that Alex makes a full recovery. In the end it was an accident.

STORM.99/07

Bench
For the many posters who were saying his arms were pinned to his body so couldn`t do anything to stop himself from falling look at the above pic that Apey has posted, both his arms are free,one holding onto the ball and one outstretched to stop his fall.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
The NRL has referred Jordan McLean straight to the judiciary, but has deferred the hearing for the time being.

I assume this means they are waiting to see exactly how badly McKinnon has been injured before holding McLean's hearing.

Dragons01

First Grade
Just said on Ten news McKinnon has been placed in an induced coma to help relieve the swelling around the fracture.

Apey

Staff member
Sadly, the head tuck was primarily responsible for the tackle to end up the way it happened.

This logic is very, very dumb. Fitting.

The illegal tackle was primarily responsible. If he wasn't in that position to begin with then how could it possibly happen through McKinnon's actions alone? Of course McKinnon tucking his head in was partly responsible for the result... I don't think anyone is denying that.

edit: sorry, I misread your post. Your logic isn't dumb, just your point is dumb. My bad.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The NRL has referred Jordan McLean straight to the judiciary, but has deferred the hearing for the time being.

I assume this means they are waiting to see exactly how badly McKinnon has been injured before holding McLean's hearing.

http://www.nrl.com.au/statement-on-...eferral/tabid/10874/newsid/77101/default.aspx

Statement on Jordan McLean judiciary referral
5:15pm Tue 25th March, 2014

The NRL said today it would defer a hearing into the incident which resulted in an injury to Knights forward Alex McKinnon out of respect to the player and his family.

NRL Head of Football, Mr Todd Greenberg, said the focus should be solely on Alex?s treatment and welfare at this time.

The NRL Match Review Committee today decided to refer a dangerous throw charge against Melbourne Storm player Jordan McLean to the NRL Judiciary because of the serious injury arising from the tackle.

Mr Greenberg said no date has been set for the hearing.

?Our immediate priority is to throw our support behind Alex and his family and to hope for a full recovery,? Mr Greenberg said.

?A date will be determined for Jordan?s hearing after we consult with the Melbourne and Newcastle clubs.

?Jordan will be stood down from this week?s match in Perth and until the matter is heard in line with the NRL?s rules. However, the Storm have the right under the rules to seek leave from the NRL Judiciary Chairman for Jordan to play.

?It is undoubtedly a distressing time for Jordan as well but the NRL has to apply the rules and determine whether a breach has occurred.

?The Match Review Committee believes it is in the best interests of all for the hearing to be held in the Judiciary forum where all the information can be presented openly and transparently.

?But, out of respect for Alex and his family, that hearing should not be held at this time.?

El Diablo

Post Whore
DT journos bagging the NRL on twitter

if they hadn't charged him they'd go off

they just bag every decision the NRL makes

scum

BranVan3000

Coach
Its a delicate situation. McLean gets off lightly, what message does that send to the family of McKinnon?

This response seems like NRL have already been talking to their lawyers

BunniesMan

Immortal
For once I sort of agree with ED. The News ltd journos should piss off. I'm someone who thinks he should get a significant suspension and even I think the NRL is doing nothing wrong in deferring this for a while.

In the short term I don't think any party involved cares about anything besides the welfare of Mckinnon.

BranVan3000

Coach
This sounds even more serious than I initially expected :(

Not necessarily, it is a very serious injury,and I imagine over swelling could put pressure on the fracture and cause it to worsen, potential effect the spinal cord

At this point stabilising the injured area is the most important thing

Glenn

First Grade
One would hope the tackle is not judge on the severity of the injury, but by the actions in the tackle. Not holding my breath however.

Dragons01

First Grade
Not necessarily, it is a very serious injury,and I imagine over swelling could put pressure on the fracture and cause it to worsen, potential effect the spinal cord

At this point stabilising the injured area is the most important thing

It also allows the body and more importantly the brain to relax. The Drs can control Alex's reactions rather than the added pressure of dealing with the incredible emotions Alex would be going through. The coma can keep things calm if you like to put it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts