What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutty1986

Immortal
F*ck accountant Smith is a grubby piece of sh*t. A bloke could be decapitated and he'd still be whinging for a penalty.

chigurh

I wish Alex McKinnon all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

This has probably being mentioned before but, did anyone find it strange that he dipped his head into his chest?

My instinct, would have been to do the opposite. I supposed what I'm suggesting is, are players being trained to roll in tackles to get to ground quickly?

I noticed that too.

It is something you see fairly often in tackles that go above the horizontal and normally results in the player rolling over on his upper back.

I think the possible difference between this tackle and others was that this was closer to the ground (ie not a lot of lifting) and as such he didn't have time to complete the roll.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I wish Alex McKinnon all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

This has probably being mentioned before but, did anyone find it strange that he dipped his head into his chest?

My instinct, would have been to do the opposite. I supposed what I'm suggesting is, are players being trained to roll in tackles to get to ground quickly?
I suspect the same.

And although I've been likened to Nero for doing so, it seemed like it was a deliberate action by McKinnon. As you said, natural instinct would surely lead one to move your head in the opposite direction - self-preservation.

And whilst I may be wrong to suggest he did a Josh Reynolds or an Inglis, perhaps there is some truth to your assertion that he was trying to get to ground quicker for a quick play the ball.

I suspect, in hindsight, that McKinnon anticipated a more pronounced lifting tackle due to the tackler having his hands between his legs. Unfortunately it never eventuated and so rather than tucking his head in to roll in a safer manner to the ground, he actually significantly contributed to his injury.

But as they say, the egg comes before the chicken. And in this instance he wouldn't have been faced with that decision had McLean not had his arms between his legs as third man in. So he's just as at fault as McKinnon.

I don't believe debating this tackle in such a manner is in any way disrespectful. I wish him well as much as the next person.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
I suspect the same.

And although I've been likened to Nero for doing so, it seemed like it was a deliberate action by McKinnon. As you said, natural instinct would surely lead one to move your head in the opposite direction - self-preservation.

And whilst I may be wrong to suggest he did a Josh Reynolds or an Inglis, perhaps there is some truth to your assertion that he was trying to get to ground quicker for a quick play the ball.

I suspect, in hindsight, that McKinnon anticipated a more pronounced lifting tackle due to the tackler having his hands between his legs. Unfortunately it never eventuated and so rather than tucking his head in to roll in a safer manner to the ground, he actually significantly contributed to his injury.

But as they say, the egg comes before the chicken. And in this instance he wouldn't have been faced with that decision had McLean not had his arms between his legs as third man in. So he's just as at fault as McKinnon.

I don't believe debating this tackle in such a manner is in any way disrespectful. I wish him well as much as the next person.

In what realm of logic do you think it would be safer to keep your neck straight to avoid a neck injury? Or are you suggesting he tilit his head backward?

Zigwaa

Bench
Poor bloke, his reaction on the ground is absolutely hearbreaking. Hope he can recover to have a normal life.

Just my observation, it looked to me like the bloke people are saying was "third man in" was actually first to make contact.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I suspect the same.

I agree your head would be subconciously be pushed backwards and arm extended to break the fall. You would not barrel roll,

Joker's Wild

Coach
Will senior players from Newcastle be interviewed calling for the perpetrator of the tackle to be wiped out of the game for a lengthy suspension based on Alex's injury received?

Worked for a certain other club after one of their players ran into a props shoulder and broke his jaw

I agree your head would be subconciously be pushed backwards and arm extended to break the fall. You would not barrel roll,

Both of Alex's arms were pinned and he would have been taught to bend his head forward to take the impact on his upper back/shoulders in the event of a spear tackle.

It was just a freak accident resulting from an illegal tackle

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
In what realm of logic do you think it would be safer to keep your neck straight to avoid a neck injury? Or are you suggesting he tilit his head backward?

If you're horizontal to the ground then keep your head straight.

Don't tuck it in under your body!

Joker's Wild

Coach
F*ck accountant Smith is a grubby piece of sh*t. A bloke could be decapitated and he'd still be whinging for a penalty.

"Just saying, but if he doesnt tuck his head that (the tackle) doesn't happen"

No Cam, if McLean doesnt reach between Alex's legs and lift, that doesnt happen you prick

Joker's Wild

Coach
His arm were not pinned.

His left arm (non ball carrying) was being held by a storm player up until a second before he hits the ground.

If he bends his head backwards he face plants into the ground with the body weight of 3 players on top of him. Im flabbergasted some of you guys think that would be anyones natural instinct

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What would be the relevence of standing back 5m or 7m or even 10m.

Seriously, just stop putting hands between their legs and lifting. Its not as though its a new rule.

Simples.

magpie4ever

First Grade
If you're horizontal to the ground then keep your head straight.

Don't tuck it in under your body!

Yes, you would rather have a clump of grass in your mouth than bending your neck into your chest.

I'm not having a go at Alex, I feel so sorry for him and his family. This is terrible news.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
His left arm (non ball carrying) was being held by a storm player up until a second before he hits the ground.

If he bends his head backwards he face plants into the ground with the body weight of 3 players on top of him. Im flabbergasted some of you guys think that would be anyones natural instinct

Having been on the end of a few, it is. Even releasing the ball and shooting your arm out to break the fall.

magpie4ever

First Grade
What would be the relevence of standing back 5m or 7m or even 10m.

Seriously, just stop putting hands between their legs and lifting. Its not as though its a new rule.

Simples.

My only issue with that is the NRL talks about horizontal - was this tackle ever past on the horizontal when the head was tucked into the chest.

Dazraider

Juniors
feel for the bloke but it can happen anytime to anyone in all types of sports. really hope and pray he recovers well

Apey

Staff member
lmao the last thing anyone with a brain would do in that position is tilt their head f**king backwards :lol:

Nobody was giving you shit because you implied it was a deliberate action. Blind Freddy could see he purposefully tucked his head into his chest. That's not what you said, you believe he risked breaking his neck and paralysis to get a penalty in a football game.

If you honestly think moving your head backwards is a good idea when you think you're about to get flipped over then you are seriously very stupid. Instinct would be to duck and roll not stick your head out like a f**king moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.