What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs

First Grade
Talk of going back to 5m because of this is ridiculous.
A 5m rule will stop a lot of big collisions, but not tackles like this.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Talk of going back to 5m because of this is ridiculous.
A 5m rule will stop a lot of big collisions, but not tackles like this.

5m reduces the need for wrestling as it is in the defences best interest to set quicker before the attack .. a 5m rule means that the attack also needs time to set. Remove the wrestle and you remove a lot of the bad with our game .. it may not stop an incident like this but three man tackles working hard to get the bloke on the ground increases risk.

This one is a freak accident but that doesn't mean you don't look at ways to reduce risk (doesn't mean you have to act though).

Springs

First Grade
you never see Yawnion journos and players saying ban scrums to stop broken necks

it's a disgrace the way the NRL journos use unfortunate incidents like these to bag out the game and make out it's not safe and you should not let your kids play it

won't be long before they write an article after they've rung a Doctor who will say the game should be banned

they seem to not care about Mckinnon one bit

I know of two rugby league players breaking their necks in scrums, paralysing them. Rugby union scrums are more dangerous than anything in rugby league.

And yet some people will say ban the shoulder charge and go back to the 5m rule, but bring pushing in scrums back! Scrums are a joke! They should be like they were in the 80s!
Now I don't want scrums banned but I'd rather them be banned than be what they are in union, or in 70s league.

Springs

First Grade
the leading try scorer in aussie league history is who? what position did he play? What era?

What's that got to do with anything? Try scoring does not = expansive. It's like saying 'oh this bloke in union has scored more tries than anyone in league, it's obviously the more expansive game let's go back to union rules!'

mave

Coach
Nobody knows yet if he'll be ok or not. The spinal cord has not been severed but there can be a level of damage without severing it. That level of damage could have an impact. Hopefully he is fine as soon as possible.

What annoyed me was the idiotic analysis of the commentators. You could clearly see he was panicked, there was what I interpreted as him reaching for his mouth guard and being unable to get to it with a clearly alarmed look on his face. And then the dickhead commentators are like "he moved a bit, he'll be fine".

These meatheads should not be giving medical opinion when they are clearly ignorant.

Being ignorant has never stopped you giving opinion.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I wish Alex McKinnon all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

This has probably being mentioned before but, did anyone find it strange that he dipped his head into his chest?

My instinct, would have been to do the opposite. I supposed what I'm suggesting is, are players being trained to roll in tackles to get to ground quickly?

RufusRex

Post Whore
people just don't think ... they assume that with a 5m defence the attack will get smashed .. wingers/centre were scoring tries long before the 10m rule was thought of .. it just required decent halves, forwards with offloads and the attacking side not to play flat ..

I have no doubt that the coaches in the game today would be able to come up with game plans to score points with a 5m defensive line ... it also encourages skilful attack ...

The biggest two blights on rugby league are the wrestle in the ruck and the over dependence on dummy half running .. both are addressed with a shorter defensive line and getting the attack back ...

magpie4ever

First Grade
people just don't think ... they assume that with a 5m defence the attack will get smashed .. wingers/centre were scoring tries long before the 10m rule was thought of .. it just required decent halves, forwards with offloads and the attacking side not to play flat ..

I have no doubt that the coaches in the game today would be able to come up with game plans to score points with a 5m defensive line ... it also encourages skilful attack ...

The biggest two blights on rugby league are the wrestle in the ruck and the over dependence on dummy half running .. both are addressed with a shorter defensive line and getting the attack back ...

A 5 or 7metre rule would bring back the legs tackle as the primary form of defence, no need to wrestle so the defensive line can get on-side.

The only way such a huge rule change should even be considered is through extensive trials first.

Too often we change the rules of the game without considering the consequences.

Yes the 5m rule has been done before but in a totally different era. We would need to look how it changes the modern game with modern athletes.

Also important would be consultation with the RLIF & Super League. Can't change it here without it changing everywhere.

El Diablo

Post Whore
if they ever changed it back to the 5m rule the DT journos would go off their brain

the same way they do for not changing it

nick87

Coach
Slightly off topic.....

My main issue with this incident is that the Melbourne player wasn't sent off.

We can argue about the suspension all we want, but I believe if an act of foul play results in a player not returning, they should be sent. 1 penalty can't compensate for playing with 16 players.

The problem with that is the decision has to be made there and then, and on the spot. You dont know if he can or can not return in that moment/

A high shot for example, might knock a guy out or at least force them to leave the field for concussion testing. So they send the guy off, only to see the victim return to the field 15 minutes later after clearing the tests.

It's a completely unworkable situation.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My son fractured his C3 and C4 in a car crash, it bent his spinal cord.

Was in an induced coma for two weeks, took him 12 months to learn to walk again and he still has close to no feeling in his left hand (that is he can feel something, but I could burn or put a nail through it and it would not hurt). This was 4 years ago.

He considers himself lucky, he walked out of a spinal unit, most do not.

magpie4ever

First Grade
No chance.

Offloading would become even more important with the 5m rule IMO.

A classic legs tackle leads to the tackled player hitting the ground quicker, if such player wishes to attempt an off-load than the possibility of a mistake or the ball hitting the ground is at at a higher percentage - at least, it was in my days.

The attack would need to play deep, leading to more backline movements. You would probably find that the centres would become inside and outside, again - is that a bad thing.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
My son fractured his C3 and C4 in a car crash, it bent his spinal cord.

Was in an induced coma for two weeks, took him 12 months to learn to walk again and he still has close to no feeling in his left hand (that is he can feel something, but I could burn or put a nail through it and it would not hurt). This was 4 years ago.

He considers himself lucky, he walked out of a spinal unit, most do not.

All the best to your son and your family. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.