What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget his playing career I hope the guy can recover to be able to walk and have full functionality of his body again. It's scary stuff that he's in an induced coma, best wishes to his recovery and to his loved ones.

He tried to milk a penalty and put he's body on the line to do so but when't wrong,
He's team mates are to Blame for winning at the time I say. 3 from 3 go the storm!

You should have been spat in to a garbage bin

lockyno1

Post Whore
Actually hope he does sue them, this tackle has caused the end result and if the NRL are negligent, they will cop millions in compensation and rightly so. If this is the wakeup call we need, so be it.

Rule changes

1. Lift at all, penalty. No two ways about it. Tackle around their legs!
2. If you are lifted, you are permitted to drop the ball, the ball will be called 'dead'
3. Triple penalties for lifts- so a grade 1, would mean 375 demerit points.

Someone was saying about workers comp and state laws, etc.

This actually happened in Victoria.

Are the Workers comp laws national? Or a state by state responsibility?

OR doesn't it matter if he is from NSW and hurt in VIC.

Just asking.

Would have thought its where his employer is based.

Actually hope he does sue them, this tackle has caused the end result and if the NRL are negligent, they will cop millions in compensation and rightly so. If this is the wakeup call we need, so be it.

Rule changes

1. Lift at all, penalty. No two ways about it. Tackle around their legs!
2. If you are lifted, you are permitted to drop the ball, the ball will be called 'dead'
3. Triple penalties for lifts- so a grade 1, would mean 375 demerit points.

I quite like the idea of a player being able to drop the ball & retain possession if lifted.

Would make it much easier for said player to get into a better position.

Springs

First Grade
He'll need extreme modifications to his home, new transport, re-skilling for a new career, physio for years to come if not decades, it all adds up.

Unless he sues the code and players for millions then I doubt the insurance payout will be enough to assist him completely.

Why are people assuming what he will and won't need and how much it will cost when the doctors haven't even brought him out of the coma yet?

It's stupid people assuming all this shit said in this thread based on a small article about his condition. Going into what his life will be like for the next ten years to what will happen when he sues.

How about we wait and see how he is once all the surgery is finished and he is out of the coma first?

Nightward

Juniors
a 12 month ban is justified imo

On the one hand, the knee-jerk sense of "something must be done" is pretty strong in this case.

On the other hand, we're here now because the referees have constantly failed to apply the rules in such tackles, resulting in teams pushing the envelope over time because the enforcement is so lax and injuries so rarely occur. If the player who lifted in the tackle did so to deliberately spear McKinnon, I would support throwing the book at him, up to and including banning him from the NRL (and as many other international RL bodies as possible) for life.

The reality is that this tackle went bad not due to intent to harm McKinnon, but to gain a defensive advantage. That doesn't mean it should escape punishment, just that it shouldn't be a year off.

I believe the right call in this case would be 4-8 weeks for all three Storm players and an announcement that any tackle in which an attacking player is lifted above the horizontal will result in the lifting player getting 10 in the bin if not sent off, any other players involved put on report, with judicial punishment to follow. Lifting below the horizontal should immediately be called held.

Lifting beyond the horizontal is immediately upgraded to a 4-8 week suspension.

That would, I think, see such tackles wiped out from the following round onwards.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
He tried to milk a penalty and put he's body on the line to do so but when't wrong,
He's team mates are to Blame for winning at the time I say. 3 from 3 go the storm!
You are a deadset disgrace to yourself and those who raised you. As a Father I try to be optimistic about humanities chances of a bright future. Every now again I come across someone like you who makes me realize the future is bleak.

You either a simpleton or a troll - in any case your pathetic.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I dont think any rule changes are needed from this.

No rule changes but I think the minimum punishment for a lift has to be raised.

I think 4 weeks for the least bad lift/throw is about right. Then go into double figures for the worst kind.

nick87

Coach
You are a deadset disgrace to yourself and those who raised you. As a Father I try to be optimistic about humanities chances of a bright future. Every now again I come across someone like you who makes me realize the future is bleak.

You either a simpleton or a troll - in any case your pathetic.

The idea that a guy who beats respect into people, is raising a child, should concern child protection services in Newcastle.

lockyno1

Post Whore
No rule changes but I think the minimum punishment for a lift has to be raised.

I think 4 weeks for the least bad lift/throw is about right. Then go into double figures for the worst kind.

Triple the penalties for dangerous throws, so a Grade 1 is 375, 3 weeks with an early plea

betcats

Referee
Enjoy being sued then. If the NRL doesn't act, the courts will!:D

The tackle is already banned. If you start trying to bring in rules to stop something like this from ever happening you will completely change/ruin the game, it was an unfotunate accident that resulted from a play that is already against the rules.

Also I think(Im hardly an expert thoug) the damage was done when the three blokes piled on him after he tucked his head and landed so you have to look at that if you are going to change the rules.

BranVan3000

Coach
The lack of send offs for serious tackles really does show NRL have been negligent IMO. It should have been a way bigger issue last year when Richie Faaoso dumped Inglis on his head TWICE, and still kept playing

Cletus

First Grade
Best of luck to your son in wherever life takes him. Sounds like he's got the right attitude.

Alex losing his career is a really horrible thing, but if he can walk out of this and that's all he's lost then I'm sure he'll be able to find the silver lining. He's going to have a lot of people supporting him, and putting all league talk aside I think we all hope that he ends up as one of the lucky ones too.

He's still young. There's so much more life has to offer him and I'm sure once he gets through this he'll make the most of it.

I'd imagine whether he plays or not would be the last thing he's worried about right now, if he gets an almost full recovery that would be a good outcome. One of the scariest tackles I've seen, I hope he pulls through ok.

ek999

First Grade
The tackle is already banned. If you start trying to bring in rules to stop something like this from ever happening you will completely change/ruin the game, it was an unfotunate accident that resulted from a play that is already against the rules.

Also I think(Im hardly an expert thoug) the damage was done when the three blokes piled on him after he tucked his head and landed so you have to look at that if you are going to change the rules.

My thoughts as well. He wasn't driven into the ground with any real force but 350kg of weight went right into the poor guys neck when they landed on him

Status
Not open for further replies.