What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick87

Coach
Really nice gestures by the knights. Good on them.
Could be something that helps galvanise the playing group

PoWdErFiNgEr84

Juniors
Spare me - you dropkick (in resonse to your name calling). Refusing to answer a simple question, so we get an essay on tort law and an unbelievable knowledge of bio-mechanics.

I will not respond to details of this unfortunate accident, I've had my say and will leave it at that. The advise from the Knights to submit and place your head against your chest, was wrong, is wrong and will always be wrong (and that is from the law of commonsense)

Under your hypothetical of the Storm being sued, they would be sued under the law of torts therefore my essay about torts is more relevant than your rant about instincts & bio mechanics. Under the law of torts there is no such defence as you have put forward. The more likely defence would be an argument over duty of care & whether or not that duty or care was breached. I have answered your question on more than 1 occasion. It's not my fault you do not like my answer. Not to mention, you clearly stated you were talking about an action against the Storm & not the knights therefore your workplace hypothetical is invalid. FFS under the law of torts, if a person is injured in a car accident whilst not wearing a seatbelt that is not even a valid defence it simply limits the damages granted. Your entire biomechanics theory is not relevant in a case against the Storm because it all comes down to duty of care. So no, even if the advice from the Knight's is found to be wrong, it would not, as you suggest, be a valid defence for an action against the Storm or Storm players. Because it has nothing to do with the duty of care owed by them.

Last edited:

Swarzey

Bench
Such an incredible thing to see eh? The entire rugby league community banding together to create such a concept for Sunday. Regardless of the weather, I hope we pack out Hunter Stadium to show our support for Alex. It will be quite emotional and I simply can't wait. The retirement of his jersey and dedicating the season to him truly make me proud to support the club.

elbusto

Coach
ahh the law of torts. So we have reached this stage have we?

Good old torts. Who would have thought? :)

LESStar58

Referee
Yep. IMO the Docker tackle on Graham was worse the only difference is the horrible outcome. I can't see him getting much of a suspension if any IF they view the tackle on it's merrit ( Which won't happen)

Yes but Docker was not "stood down" while they checked up on Graham to determine the extent of his injuries. He'll go straight to the judiciary, right? That's my problem with the way this has been handled and nothing to do with me being a Storm fan.. well it is but maybe only 20% of it.

It's a bit of a bit limp move by the NRL to stand down McLean in the first place. They say they defer the hearing "out of respect" for McKinnon while the tackle and his injury is debated by all and sundry in the public of the rugby league world. Let's not have a double standard when one standard is plenty.

elbusto

Coach
Such an incredible thing to see eh? The entire rugby league community banding together to create such a concept for Sunday. Regardless of the weather, I hope we pack out Hunter Stadium to show our support for Alex. It will be quite emotional and I simply can't wait. The retirement of his jersey and dedicating the season to him truly make me proud to support the club.

Well said mate and that is what this thread should be about. Instead it has become a shite fight with a bunch of wannabe lawyers torting here and suing there.

The player McKinnon's welfare is all we should be discussing here.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Well said mate and that is what this thread should be about. Instead it has become a shite fight with a bunch of wannabe lawyers torting here and suing there.

The player McKinnon's welfare is all we should be discussing here.

Well than posters shouldn't be accusing Melbourne players (who I don't support) of having a pact with the devil. It was a shocking accident.

elbusto

Coach
Well than posters shouldn't be accusing Melbourne players (who I don't support) of having a pact with the devil. It was a shocking accident.
Yep and that is my point.

Those blokes must be feeling terrible. I know and you know how bad you feel when a player goes down like that. Some of the carryings on here have been disgraceful as far as I am concerned.

There are some sad and sorry lads out there across the whole game. It is a tragedy.

thorson1987

Coach
:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

LESStar58

Referee

Good post and nice sentiment.

Springs

First Grade

:clap:

Yes, this. This is what it should be about. Great work Newcastle and I'm sure the players and fans will do him proud.

I don't know why there had to be 50 pages of bullshit to get to here.

Swarzey

Bench
The whole other part of this thread has been the accusations, pointing the finger, potential law cases etc and I'd understand if some want to see the thread closed because of it, but it has its place, there is legitimacy in most of the arguments. It's always brought up when a player is injured due to particular circumstances, this shouldn't be much different. Where it has gotten to is just absolutely ridiculous and I think it's about time a few pull their head in and simply drop it.

I do believe we as Knights fans do have the right to be able to point the finger of blame, it's one of ours laying in a Melbourne hospital and people have every right to comment on the situation. Does it deserve to overshadow the welfare of Alex? f**k no. It shouldn't even be close but it can be good, reasonable discussion if people don't lose sight of the point of the thread during periods where there is a lack of news on his health and really any news in general.

But my earlier post isn't new. It has already been said a few times in one way or another.

First Grade
Yes but Docker was not "stood down" while they checked up on Graham to determine the extent of his injuries. He'll go straight to the judiciary, right? That's my problem with the way this has been handled and nothing to do with me being a Storm fan.. well it is but maybe only 20% of it.

It's a bit of a bit limp move by the NRL to stand down McLean in the first place. They say they defer the hearing "out of respect" for McKinnon while the tackle and his injury is debated by all and sundry in the public of the rugby league world. Let's not have a double standard when one standard is plenty.

Stop and actually think of the wellbeing of your own player for a minute. He shouldn't play untill his charge is heard, his mind would already be all over the place with what has happened to Alex. He may be injured himself or indeed injure someone else due to not concentrating on the game. I believe the NRL and the storm both have a duty of care to your player as well.

thorson1987

Coach
Stop and actually think of the wellbeing of your own player for a minute. He shouldn't play untill his charge is heard, his mind would already be all over the place with what has happened to Alex. He may be injured himself or indeed injure someone else due to not concentrating on the game. I believe the NRL and the storm both have a duty of care to your player as well.

It could also be that he wants to play this weekend to try and put his mind towards something else.

Could do a lot for his state of mind

Yoda

Juniors
This is rugby league ffs. The term has been "perpendicular" for ever and it is factually correct.

What I love is you lecturing me to go to a dictionary when I'm not wrong and if you think I am then you're the one who needs a dictionary.

I'm off to do some perpendicular folk dancing with the missus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts