What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick

Staff member
In this context it's about going above the perpendicular line relative to a person standing up. Meaning he shouldn't go beyond 90 degrees. Everyone knows that.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-madness-in-inglis-tackle-20130329-2gzl8.html

Checkmate. BM wins again.

tumblr_lyydqyTSTB1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Danish

Referee
In this context it's about going above the perpendicular line relative to a person standing up. Meaning he shouldn't go beyond 90 degrees. Everyone knows that.

This got added after my initial reply....

I have no response to it, just wanted to marvel at the stupid

Maximus

Coach
The advise from the Knights to submit and place your head against your chest, was wrong, is wrong and will always be wrong (and that is from the law of commonsense)

It may have been wrong in this situation, but to suggest it is always wrong in every single dangerous tackle is ridiculous.

What about in the case of Jarrod McCracken where he was completely upside down? How does tilting his head back do anything except ensure he would land on his head? If he rolls forward, there is a good chance he lands on his shoulders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGIPcGH0iY

Or how about this one from O'Donnell on Boyd. Tell me in your expert opinion what Boyd should have done.

magpie4ever

First Grade
It may have been wrong in this situation, but to suggest it is always wrong in every single dangerous tackle is ridiculous.

What about in the case of Jarrod McCracken where he was completely upside down? How does tilting his head back do anything except ensure he would land on his head? If he rolls forward, there is a good chance he lands on his shoulders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGIPcGH0iY

Or how about this one from O'Donnell on Boyd. Tell me in your expert opinion what Boyd should have done.

I don't intend to look at the youtube clip for reasons I find this stuff sickening, but if memory serves me correct McCracken landed to the top of his head - as said sickening. If he had conceded and placed his head on his chest (exposing the back of his neck) I doubt the end result would have been better.

Maximus

Coach
I don't intend to look at the youtube clip for reasons I find this stuff sickening, but if memory serves me correct McCracken landed to the top of his head - as said sickening. If he had conceded and placed his head on his chest (exposing the back of his neck) I doubt the end result would have been better.

He did land on top of his head, and right before impact he had his head tilted backwards.

You appear to have missed the key part of the Knights' advice to their players. It is not just about tilting your head forward. They advised to roll their body forward so that the head is tucked in, and they can hopefully roll onto their back.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Melbourne forward Jordan McLean has been granted permission by the NRL judiciary chairman to play in Saturday's game against the Bulldogs in Perth.

McLean is facing a judiciary hearing on a dangerous throw charge over Monday night's tackle gone wrong that left Newcastle's Alex McKinnon in hospital with serious neck injuries.

He was initially stood down for this week by the NRL when his hearing was deferred out of respect for McKinnon and his family, who were waiting to learn his prognosis.

However, the Storm were allowed to appeal and did so.

Judiciary chairman Paul Conlon SC agreed on Thursday that McLean - who is understood to be very upset by McKinnon's injuries - should be allowed to play on Saturday.

Conlon said that, under its rules, the NRL had no option but to stand down Jordan until his charge was heard, but any player stood down would normally have his case heard before his next game.

"In this case, the NRL and Melbourne Storm had agreed to defer the hearing out of respect for Newcastle forward Alex McKinnon, who was injured in the tackle," said Conlon.

"In my view, both the NRL and the Melbourne club should be commended for this sensible and sensitive approach to the tragic situation with which they have been confronted."

Conlon found that "exceptional circumstances" existed in this case because the hearing had been deferred and he ruled that Jordan is entitled to play this weekend.

McLean's judiciary hearing has now been set for Wednesday next week.

Melbourne chief executive Mark Evans said they exercised their right to appeal on the grounds of "player welfare" and natural justice."

Evans said the Storm respected the NRL's decision to delay the judiciary hearing out of respect for McKinnon, however they said the game also had a duty of care to McLean.

"I speak on behalf of the entire Melbourne Storm organisation in expressing our support of the NRL's handling of this extremely sensitive matter, including the delay of the hearing," said Evans.

"We understand that there are exceptional and extremely unfortunate circumstances involved here and we join everyone in rugby league in wishing Alex McKinnon a full recovery.

"Alex's health and welfare is the most important consideration and should be the rugby league community's main priority.

"But, at the same time, we also have a duty of care to Jordan, which is why we sought leave from the NRL Judiciary Chairman on the grounds of player welfare and natural justice."
LINK

magpie4ever

First Grade
He did land on top of his head, and right before impact he had his head tilted backwards.

You appear to have missed the key part of the Knights' advice to their players. It is not just about tilting your head forward. They advised to roll their body forward so that the head is tucked in, and they can hopefully roll onto their back.

Let's finish this by agreeing this will not happen in all cases (rolling onto your back). Where we disagree is, I believe it will not happen in the majority of cases, whereas, your view might differ.

Frederick

Staff member
Newcastle Knights will honour injured Alex McKinnon with a special tribute on their playing strip
BARRY TOOHEY
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
MARCH 27, 2014 1:45PM

NEWCASTLE Knights players will dedicate the rest of the season to injured teammate Alex McKinnon with a special tribute on their playing strip as the young backrower recovers from a horrific neck injury in a Melbourne hospital.

Knights players will take the field on Sunday against Cronulla with McKinnon’s name and club number 232 specially embroidered on the front of their jumpers as a mark of respect for the 22-year-old former Aberdeen junior.

The Knights trained for the first time on Thursday morning since Monday night’s clash against the Storm and the tackle that left McKinnon with neck fractures and in an induced coma in The Alfred Hospital.

After the session, captain Kurt Gidley said the squad will be dedicating the remainder of the season to their teammate and admits the Sharks game will be full of emotion for the players.

“I’d like to think we’ll be playing the rest of the year (for him),”Gidley said.

“He’s a champion young fellow Alex, he’s well-liked throughout the team, he lives and breathes his footy and it will certainly be a tough time for him going forward with his rehab.

“But he’s got the full support of us as players and I’m sure everyone from Newcastle.”

Asked about the emotion within the playing group, Gidley said: “Everyone is still in a bit of shock at the moment because we haven’t seen him since he left the field.

“I’d imagine seeing him in person would be fairly confronting.

“All our thoughts are with him and his family and we’re looking forward to playing this week and playing with pride.

“There’s been great support from fellow players in the NRL, clubs, from people who don’t even know Alex out there, sponsors. It’s been fantastic.”

In a boost for the Knights’ hopes against the Sharks, fullback Darius Boyd trained strongly and appears a certain starter.
LINK

Noname36

First Grade
Rise For Alex

Thu 27th March, 03:01PM A A

1395896781322.jpg

The Newcastle Knights will ‘Rise for Alex’ at Sunday’s round four game against the Cronulla Sharks at Hunter Stadium.

From Sunday, all Knights’ NRL jerseys for the remainder of the season will carry Alex’s name and debut Club number (#232) on the chest pate.

The number 16 jersey, which Alex was wearing in Monday night’s game, will be retired for the season. David Fa’alogo, who was named in 16, will now wear 18.

A number of junior rugby league players from Alex's junior club Aberdeen, will form a guard of honour when the team runs out on Sunday. As the Knights and Sharks are on the field, the crowd will be asked to ‘rise for Alex’ and applaud.

Messages of support for Alex and his family can be emailed to knights@newcastleknights.com.au. All messages we receive will be given to Alex and his family at the appropriate time.

Currently the Club's energies are directed to help Alex and his family in any way possible, however, when the time is right, the Club will look at ways the community can assist Alex and his family.

There are no further updates at this time in regards to Alex’s condition. He remains in a critical but stable condition in a Melbourne hospital.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/03/27/rise_for_alex.html

afinalsin666

First Grade
The number 16 jersey, which Alex was wearing in Monday night’s game, will be retired for the season. David Fa’alogo, who was named in 16, will now wear 18.

That is really cool. Has any other numbers ever been retired like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts