What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are stupid. People are often punished for accidents. Intention is irrelevant if you knowingly choose to do the wrong thing. Of course he didn't want to break anyones neck but he chose to get his hands between legs and he chose to lift. He should get about 4 weeks. End of debate.

Especially when they get lifted above the perpendicular :lol:

ceagle

Bench
You just hope that Mckinnon takes the injury as well as one can when they learn they won't be able to play again. Would be heartbreaking to see him end up similar similar to Fa'aoso with all the depression reports.

TheFrog

Coach
Yep. IMO the Docker tackle on Graham was worse the only difference is the horrible outcome.

The difference was the driving by 3 players at the end. This was absent in the Docker tackle and this is why it was judged to be a Grade 1. I thought he might get a week for it.

Parra

Referee
This is the exact reason that lifting in tackles is outlawed. Problem is the rugby codes have never been serious enough about the ban. So we still see the tackles.

Mclean should be the scapegoat for this - similar to Boyd & Cooper when Comans headed the judiciary.

If he gets the usual minimum, then the tackles will continue. Lifting in tackles needs to disappear. If Mckinnon has to sue the NRL, Mclean and anyone else to both look after himself and remove lifting tackles then so be it.

Parra

Referee
Jim Comans quote:

"In 1982, Cooper was given the equal-longest suspension in rugby league history after he ran in to join a brawl and left three Illawarra Steelers flattened during a match at Wollongong Showground. Chairman of the NSWRFL's judiciary, Jim Comans, when handing down a fifteen-month suspension to Cooper, said, "Acts such as these must be obliterated from the game, and I'll begin by obliterating you." [2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Cooper_(rugby_league)

Spot On

Coach
This is the exact reason that lifting in tackles is outlawed. Problem is the rugby codes have never been serious enough about the ban. So we still see the tackles.

Mclean should be the scapegoat for this - similar to Boyd & Cooper when Comans headed the judiciary.

If he gets the usual minimum, then the tackles will continue. Lifting in tackles needs to disappear. If Mckinnon has to sue the NRL, Mclean and anyone else to both look after himself and remove lifting tackles then so be it.

I dare say he will be. It could be a very, very long time out of the game and a new approach/attitude/ruling to "lifting" in tackles.

The NRL have now set a precedent with regard to punishing a player by imposing a different grading after considering the injuries to the other player. Kade Snowden is the obvious example with a seven week suspension, SB Williams has now had a couple of shoulder charges to the head of opposition players but recently received only 3 weeks on the sidelines as there were no injuries to the other player.

I feel for both boys here - McKinnon and Maclean. It will be interesting to watch what happens to the game and any changes to the way these types of tackles are interpreted and policed.

Last edited:

Western_Eel

Juniors
I dont understand why they are waiting to see the damage before they give the penalty, They either charge him with a spear tackle or they dont,

Personally i think he should get a week max, the tackle it self doesnt look that bad, its just really unlucky he ducked his head

Spot On

Coach
I dont understand why they are waiting to see the damage before they give the penalty, They either charge him with a spear tackle or they dont,

Personally i think he should get a week max, the tackle it self doesnt look that bad, its just really unlucky he ducked his head

We could speculate on this but better we do not. I think they are doing the right thing by holding off on it.

BunniesMan

Immortal

He ducked his head to try and protect himself after his leg was lifted. It needs closer to 4 weeks than 1.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Im lost with their thinking, He should be penalized for the illegal tackle not the damage he caused, especially when it was clearly an accident.

DMS

Juniors
This is a chance for the NRL to send a message to the other players.......they need to review the charges and implement them with harder ones, and this guy should be sitting out a minimum of 6 weeks.......It is absolutely nobody's fault but McClean unfortunately i don't think he intended it to happen but he lifted in the tackle, if he did not lift in the tackle, this does not happen, but he did and the league need to a send bold and clear message and stand him down for a lengthy suspension. This kind of tackle, where a player lifts needs to be outlawed from the game, until the NRL get tough on it, we will see it pop its ugly head from time to time.

cooko

Juniors
The tackle should be judged until the point where McKinnon's head hits the ground. What happened after that point is irrelevant to the offence.

More damage was done by the way his head was tilted as he impacted on the ground and further damage may also have been caused by him moving his neck while he was on the ground. Both of these are irrelevant to the lift.

Western_Eel

Juniors
This is a chance for the NRL to send a message to the other players.......they need to review the charges and implement them with harder ones, and this guy should be sitting out a minimum of 6 weeks.......It is absolutely nobody's fault but McClean unfortunately i don't think he intended it to happen but he lifted in the tackle, if he did not lift in the tackle, this does not happen, but he did and the league need to a send bold and clear message and stand him down for a lengthy suspension. This kind of tackle, where a player lifts needs to be outlawed from the game, until the NRL get tough on it, we will see it pop its ugly head from time to time.

I agree with you, What i don't understand is why they haven't punished him yet.

LESStar58

Referee
I agree with you, What i don't understand is why they haven't punished him yet.

Because the NRL chose a kid gloves approach to the issue out of respect to McKinnon and stood McLean down instead. Melbourne had every right to appeal and got a favorable outcome.

Yes it is unpleasant but the NRL should have let justice run its course. the injury was reported by all and sundry so there should have been no problem having the hearing some time last week.

In my opinion the NRL have been made to look very amateurish.

Pugzley

Because the NRL chose a kid gloves approach to the issue out of respect to McKinnon and stood McLean down instead. Melbourne had every right to appeal and got a favorable outcome.

Yes it is unpleasant but the NRL should have let justice run its course. the injury was reported by all and sundry so there should have been no problem having the hearing some time last week.

In my opinion the NRL have been made to look very amateurish.

Are you saying that as a Melbourne storm fan or as an NRL fan?

They took the week off to allow the McKinnons some privacy and scrutinize the tackle at a later date when everyone had cooler heads. Too bad Melbourne won't take their medicine and acted like a spoilt bitch.

Way to take the same approach as the Newscorp scum that continues to tar the game in a bad light and undermine it.

LESStar58

Referee
Are you saying that as a Melbourne storm fan or as an NRL fan?

They took the week off to allow the McKinnons some privacy and scrutinize the tackle at a later date when everyone had cooler heads. Too bad Melbourne won't take their medicine and acted like a spoilt bitch.

Way to take the same approach as the Newscorp scum that continues to tar the game in a bad light and undermine it.

Both. Why should the NRL take the walking on eggshells approach to the judiciary when the media and rugby league community are not doing so in regards to Alex's condition and Jordan's role in the tackle. Wheres the respect and the privacy in that?

and Melbourne "not taking their medicine and acting like a spoilt bitch". Cry me a river. If it was a player from another club was in the samepposition as Jordan that club would have the same rights Melbourne to appeal. its not like its one set of rules for Storm and one set for everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts