What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Brilliant article and a real insight into what a champion bloke macca is and what an incredible coach Wayne is

innsaneink

Referee
Yet we see Maclean attempt to lift a leg in a tackle again tonight against Klemmer about 35 min mark.....then another lifting tackle on a storm player about 10 to go - past the horizontal and looking very dangerous - and nothing from the refs

Apey

Staff member
why-cant-i-hold-all-these-feels.png

Noname36

First Grade
That article by Bennett is so unbelievably touching and heartfelt. Really makes you realise that at the end of the day it's just a game and the real people behind it is what's really important. I'm a knights supporter, but after this I honestly couldn't care less about the results. I really would happily take the spoon for the next 5 years if it meant this didn't happen to Alex. The more insight we get into his character the harder it gets to see.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I realised today that I actually met Alex's dad. I used to work in Muswellbrook up until about 6 weeks ago. I would often have to go to Aberdeen. A bloke who I used to work with would drink with Alex's dad at the top pub I think. I only met him the one time so I can't comment too much.

I can say that Aberdeen is a very strong League town. Always contenders, them and Scone. I'm pretty sure back in the day, Aberdeen, Muswellbrook and Denman would field 2 first grade teams.

There is a lot of passion for League up in the Hunter. Local league too. They celebrate their local grand final by painting the town in the home teams colours.

League is in their blood and it is really the only thing that unites the communities. I'm sure they're hurting.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I even provided you two examples where the judiciary took a very hardline approach and the players did change their behaviour. They changed it immediately.

The quote from Comans to Bob Cooper is very apt in this regard.

This was no random accident. A bloke has had his neck broken as a result of a tackling style that has been banned for the very reason that someone could have their neck broken.

If ever there was an example to be made, this is it.

And people still don't get it.
Agreed, I cant believe people are actually blaming Alex McKinnon for ducking his head ( Cam Smith being the first mongrel to utter these words) . The Storm player should be well and truly hung out to dry for this

Agreed, I cant believe people are actually blaming Alex McKinnon for ducking his head ( Cam Smith being the first mongrel to utter these words) . The Storm player should be well and truly hung out to dry for this

Hung out to dry for what? He did nothing wrong.

Lifting is legal and he was 2nd man - arguably joint first - into the tackle.

You can't hang someone out for dry for a legal tackle that we see about 100 times a round.

The rules need changing 100% but he did f**k all wrong.

skeepe

Immortal
Yet we see Maclean attempt to lift a leg in a tackle again tonight against Klemmer about 35 min mark.....then another lifting tackle on a storm player about 10 to go - past the horizontal and looking very dangerous - and nothing from the refs

Didn't see the one on Klemmer, but saw the second one you mention and I'm gobsmacked it wasn't penalised. Hands between the legs, lifting past the horizontal, and the ref was right there standing over the top of it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Brilliant touching article from Bennett.

Hung out to dry for what? He did nothing wrong.

Lifting is legal and he was 2nd man - arguably joint first - into the tackle.

You can't hang someone out for dry for a legal tackle that we see about 100 times a round.

The rules need changing 100% but he did f**k all wrong.

You don't understand the rules if you think that was a legal tackle. He lifted with hands between the legs which the NRL says is a big no no and he lifted him past 90 degrees. That's also a big no no. 4 weeks. End of story.

elbusto

Coach
Brilliant touching article from Bennett.

You don't understand the rules if you think that was a legal tackle. He lifted with hands between the legs which the NRL says is a big no no and he lifted him past 90 degrees. That's also a big no no. 4 weeks. End of story.
FFS give up. You haven't the slighest clue at all.

Spot On

Coach

Somehow I don't think that will be "End of story" BM.

oikee

Juniors
Thinking of Alex today. Every week i will post a little tribute for Alex until the end of the year.
Get well.

ek999

First Grade
Didn't see the one on Klemmer, but saw the second one you mention and I'm gobsmacked it wasn't penalised. Hands between the legs, lifting past the horizontal, and the ref was right there standing over the top of it.

I didn't think it was a penalty. His torso and head never went went beyond horizontal IMO

_Johnsy

Referee
Is it possible for someone more IT savy than me to post a photo of the tackle where McLean has his hands between Alex's legs. From memory he had his hands around or on his legs not between, but I willing to be wrong.

Moments before this picture left hand was further towards his inner thigh. No doubting his hands between his legs and he lifted.

20140330_123016_zpscf27c229.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts