What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

Bench
He gets 7 weeks when 3 other player made the exact same tackle in the same game and didn't even get penalised.

If they dont give 7 weeks to every player who does the same tackle, then they're not punishing him for an illegal tackle. They're punishing him because a player is injured... And that sends the message that lifting tackles are fine UNLESS the worst case scenario happens. Solving nothing. The judiciary fails epically yet again.

Exact same? Who else got dropped on the point of their head?

Parra

Referee
Why do people want the rules changed.

Did everyone want the rules changed for jumping in the our contesting for the ball when Yow Yeh broke his ankle?

No need to change the rules. Just enforce the rules that are there. This suspension does not rub dangerous lifts out of the game, so we bide our time until this happens again.

There was no illegal play involved when Yow Yeh broke his ankle.

McKinnon is faced with tetraplegia as a result of an illegal tackle.

The penalty and the message it sends are both weak and disappointing.

mxlegend99

Referee
And Inu's was a million times worse, this is too harsh, 2-3 weeks would have been more fair
This.

The judiciary doesn't punish a player for his actions. They punish a player based on the injuries that occur. 99% of the time an illegal tackle doesn't seriously injured a player and they get a slap on the wrist. Then a tackle that is nowhere near as bad as those ones ends up with an extremely unlucky outcome where the player is injured. Suddenly they cop huge suspensions.

These huge suspensions don't solve anything. Punishing a player only when they cause injury is not a deterrent. They need to punish players regardless of the injuries. If they want to prevent players from lifting, then every single lifting tackle needs to be penalised. Every single player who is penalised for it needs to be suspended for 7 weeks minimum.

That tackle was on the lesser end of lifting tackles IMO. THe outcome was worse, but that should be a Grade 2 or 3 lifting tackle at worst. With the Inu tackle being on the other end of the scale.

7 weeks would be a perfectly fair puinishment if the other players who lifted that weekend were also punished on the same scale as McLean, aswell as the players who did so this weekend and in the future. But many worse tackles have resulted in no penalty at all simply because the players on the receiving end were luckier.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did they admit they were punishing for the outcome rather than the offence?
BS decision but nothing less than I'd expect from the judiciary.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
And Inu's was a million times worse, this is too harsh, 2-3 weeks would have been more fair

I wonder what would the outcome be if that tackle happened from now on?

Yes it did look worse and I think GI is lucky there was no damage at all.

Springs

First Grade
It was more than I would give him but actually less than what I expected. I expected 10+ from our usually over-reactionary judiciary.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Not as harsh as it could have ended up, only problem now is it opens the door to fake injuries to influence the judicary. e.g lets say Bunnies v roosters rnd 26 likely to play each other in the finals, inglis puts a clumsy hit on a player falling in a tackle, player knocked out and clearly hurt and misses the rest of the game. Roosters claim player has broken jaw and is out for season, inglis gets 5 weeks. Lol just joking guys injured player plays the next week.

Springs

First Grade
This is as much as deliberate elbows to the face get, which should get a lot more because they are deliberate acts looking to injure someone.

nick87

Coach
7 weeks is f**king ridiculous.
No way in the world that tackle is worth 7 weeks, if McKinnon didn't get hurt, i doubt he is even charged.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Go back a few pages, there are 3 stills from the game of players being spear tackled beyond the horizontal. I saw at least five lifting tackles in this weeks games, there'll be another five plus in next weeks.

Until the refs blow the whistle as soon as the hand goes between the legs they will continue as they are instinctive same way as players still head high tackle. Only way to cut down the risk is to blow the game dead instant it looks like it will happen.

dogslife

Coach
Good to see the judiciary charging based on the merits of the tackle and not the injury again...

Luke O'Donnell only got 3 weeks for trying to use Boyd's head as a lawn dart, and Inu got off with 5.

DeeJ

Bench
Just on the hysteria about children playing the game.

My experience visting a spinal ward for years, keep them of motorbikes, pushbikes and out of cars.

They are the majority of patients, the odd sports, be it team or skateboards, diving, freak fall are the small numbers.

Motorbikes riders seemed the worse effected in my time there, as in damage done, usually a snap.

As opposed the the knee, shoulder recontruction ward, sports injuries eveywhere.

A lifetime ago I was studying nursing and had voc placement in the neuro ward (brain injuries). 90% of the guys in there were young guys that had come off their motorbikes and were in their 20's.

mxlegend99

Referee
Have you even seen the tackle? McKinnon was at a 30degree angle or so at worst. He was not dropped on the point of his head, and there were several tackles in the very same game where players hit the same angle or worse. Most of which weren't even penalised.

You can't look at the end results of tackles and punish them for that. You need to punish the players for their actions if you want to get rid of these tackles. I don't care if they decide it's worth 1 week or an entire season. They just need to apply the rules consistently to all players and not punish players for the exact same actions that many other players do every single week but without causing serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts