What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

typicalfan

Coach
Here is part of MCLeans defence by his lawyer Nick Ghabar.

Ghabar expressed deep sympathy for MCKinnon and his family but insisted with respect that the Knights youngster "unfortunately and unwittingly contributed to his injury by tucking his head into his chest before hitting the ground.
He said if McKinnon did not change his posture mid tackle "there would be no way he would have landed on his head".

A quick way to lose sympathy for McLean blame the victim.

You were surprised?

Anyone didn't know this was going to be the defence needs to catch up a bit.

BranVan3000

Coach

Ghabar expressed deep sympathy for MCKinnon and his family but insisted with respect that the Knights youngster "unfortunately and unwittingly contributed to his injury by tucking his head into his chest before hitting the ground.
He said if McKinnon did not change his posture mid tackle "there would be no way he would have landed on his head".

Blatantly false, he would have been eating dirt if he didn't tuck his head. It was a natural reaction to protect his face

Spot On

Coach
Seriously Paul Kent needs to Give up the ghost. All he does is sit on that show and defend the media like he did when Willie Mason and Robbie Farah took him to task a few weeks ago.
He whinged about people spreading the news that was reported about Alex McKinnon and were angry when they found out it may have been inaccurate. The reason people are angry, Paul, is because we should trust journos to feed us accurate, fact checked information.
Could someone please stop this man having access to a platform to moralise at us - especially while he works for perhaps the most deplorable, immoral and corrupted organisations on earth.

Great post mate. I can't stand the bloke. Don't understand why people rate him as a journo. He may be a bit better than some others but the pool of talent and credibilty in the journo stakes is very, very low.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors

Defense is always going to try & apportion at least some of the blame for an injury on the victim. It's standard practice to try & minimise the guilty party/accused's liabilty. While you & I might find it distasteful you are basically asking the defense counsel to not do his job properly.

Snappy

Coach
Tayjack is this months Knight Vision...

Joins and makes a complete merkin of himself by trying to act tough and be a know it all. Causes a bit of a stir, but by next month he'll fade to obscurity and there will be some new merkin taking the mantle

LESStar58

Referee
Okay. Jordan guilty with a punishment to be determined.

This, in my opinion, sets the standard for ALL horizontal tackles from now on. Any tackle that gets a player in a position that is similar or worse to Mckinmon should be treated accordingly regardless of outcome (injured or not).

Too much emotion and hysteria in the past week for Jordan to be judged anything but guilty. Hope he cops it on the chin, gets the support he needs and gets back to playing footy.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Tackle without the injury 2 weeks.... The poor bastard will probably get a long suspension due to the media pressure.

Identical tackle in the storm dogs game on the weekend (minus the neck tuck) resulted in no penalty or charge. The Mclean tackle was a few degree's over the horizontal so he will be found guilty, but I think 2 weeks maximum

Spot On

Coach

This, in my opinion, sets the standard for ALL horizontal tackles from now on. Any tackle that gets a player in a position that is similar or worse to Mckinmon should be treated accordingly regardless of outcome (injured or not).

Too much emotion and hysteria in the past week for Jordan to be judged anything but guilty. Hope he cops it on the chin, gets the support he needs and gets back to playing footy.

I don't think an NRL Judiciary will ever find a "standard" for suspensions. It seems to change from week to week. They just can't get it right.

The Eagle

Juniors

Read up to the point of ALL horizontal tackles

Seriously,if the victim of this tackle gone awry had played for melbourne you'd be screaming blue murder

If Slater was make a quadraplegic from a unlucky tackle you'd be screaming

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
2 weeks seems right for that tackle... He won't get less then 6.

Regardless. NRL can ban 3 man tackles ASAP. I can't think of anyone that would care less wrestle more actual footy.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
2 weeks seems right for that tackle... He won't get less then 6.

Regardless. NRL can ban 3 man tackles ASAP. I can't think of anyone that would care less wrestle more actual footy.

Difficult to do, If you limit to 2 man tackles then other rules like the strip rule will need to be changed, maybe an extension of the current 3rd man in rules to include nothing below the hip instead of below the knee as it is

LazyDreamer

Bench
No problem with that defense. It's essentially true. No headtuck = no shocking neck injury. However no lifting tackle in the first place = no neck injury.

Matchball

Bench
People have said Melbourne has had questionable tackling techniques for years.
Many aren't surprised but aren't talking about it openly, yet.

eozsmiles

Bench
Yes they do & his state of mind should be the top priority IMO, not trying to influence any sort of further/future legal action. I understand their reasoning, but the bigger picture of the injured player should come before pecuniary protection.

In the long term it might not make much difference how many weeks he gets or anything - Alex has bigger battles. I don't think it helps anyone to plead guilty based on the injury, not in the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.