What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alexander Tyson Carey

Fangs

Coach
32 tests at 31.88. Loves a sweep. Likes AFL.

But has played quite a few valuable innings over the years. 98* today to win against NZ. Will see him remain keeper for the next summer.

Where does he rank with Haddin, Paine and Wadey? Doesn't have enough test tons but the average is about there.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Haddin - the original scissorhands and loved to play his natural game - which usually meant chipping it straight to mid off when we needed him to score.
Wade - horrid keeper, probably by a very small margin the best batsman out of the 4 but needed to be because his keeping was absolute shit.
Paine - best keeper of the 4, least effective bat.
Carey - I'd rate him as 2nd after paine with the gloves, third with the bat.
So:
Carey
Haddin
Paine
Wade

There's something about Carey that just isn't right though.

gUt

Coach
Grandstand commentators called him the best current gloveman in the world more than once this test.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I still have Hadds as top .

I don't think anyone would understand how hard it would have been to come in after Gilchrist.

Haddin did a fine job.

Mickey Arthur era when he dumped him for Wade the following summer after missing the windies series earlier that year because his daughter got cancer and had to come home was a disgrace.

Fap Du Plessis doesn't save that famous Adelaide Test if Hadds was keeping instead of Wade

Thankfully when Lehmann came back in they brought Haddin straight back in. When leadership was required.

simmo1

First Grade
All pretty similar level as batters, but Haddin saved his best work for the Ashes which gives him the edge.

Aside from Wade they are hard to split as keepers too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hads over Carey for mine atm, could change at the end of his career as he's still a work in progress.

I also thought Tom Blundall had a very good series with the gloves. Very impressive.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Bazal

Post Whore
Also can't remember him scoring a match winning or saving innings.

He did have some very handy, tough knocks though.

Hadds is still first, with daylight second and Paine third.

Fish eye Carey next. Then every single keeper to have ever played senior cricket. Then Johnny Bairstow

Then Matthew Wade

Hads is def the pick of the 4. He had some massive series where he was pivotal in Australia winning, most notably the 13/14 ashes.

Next would be a coin flip between Paine and Carey. I feel Carey was better with the bat but Paine better with the gloves.

Wadey would be #4 on that list. To me there is a standard a keeper needs to be with the gloves and Wadey wasn’t it. Had his moments with the bat and was a team player but probably wasn’t test standard.