What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ali v Tyson ; who would win?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ok so weve got it set. Bowe signed to fight 2 years after he threw his world title in the trash instead of fighting the number 1 contender who he had signed a letter of intent to fight. Thanks.

that was more to do with the WBC and sanctioning fees

PRW

Juniors
It's always going to be a 'slight' against Lewis that he was stopped by two of the worst heavweights ever to hold a belt, McCall and Rahman.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Lewis' fights against a largely 'shot', 38-year-old Holyfield yielded a draw and a narrow points victory. On neither occasion did he ever have Holyfield in trouble.

Contrast that with Riddick Bowe who produced an absolute masterclass in inflicting a first defeat on a then 'peak' Holyfield over six years earlier.

Ok, he was never the same again and, of course he lost the return, but the hungry, in-shape Bowe who beat Holyfield for the belt that night would have destroyed Lewis, Tyson, Holmes and, in all possibility, Ali too!

gorilla

First Grade
Fiurst of all, i saw both.

Second, i can't say who would win - I reckon Tyson would have been more like the forward go of Frazier plus the power of Foreman, but only close up.

You have to remember that Foreman and Frazier were the second generation of world champ quality heavyweights that Ali fought.

In his prime, Ali was something special, above all comers.

In the 1970's after the war, etc., he was an equal but better than everything thrown at him.

Pick the time that Ali boxes Tyson and see what the answer is/was.

Tyson was brutal - up close and against boxers who didn't have the skills of Ali and the confidence.

Ali transcended a couple of generations and even against the (split) Tysons of his day, still had it over them through a number of bouts.

gorilla

First Grade
OK, put the colours to the wall:
Ali to dance and win, with the chance in the early days of a tagged knockout to tyson, but I don't think so,

In the latter days, (rematches, etc) 2:1 to Ali.

gorilla

First Grade
f**k off bunniesman you trolling spamming rube.
Tyson had no heart? He came from nothing, stepped into the ring against bigger boxers who had a half a foot at least reach on him and never took a backward step. Even in his later career his downfall had nothing to do with His lack of heart but his lack of hunger.

And to say Ali wasn't a great boxer shows that you have nfi. The guy won his fights by outboxing his opponents. FTR it would have been a great match up. I really think that Ali would have beaten Tyson, not because he was a better fighter but because he would have gotten into Tyson's fragile head space. If it was on fighting skills alone Tyson would win. At his best he was inhuman.

Head space - good point.

gorilla

First Grade
Frazier had Ali's number. Had him easily in their first fight, yes he lost the second but he had Ali beat in Manila and deserved to win that fight and would have won.

It's tough comparing boxers. It's not like other sports. There's more than just overall talent that factors into it. Certain fighting styles beat others, even if the talent advantage is going the other way.

I've got to watch that Manilla fight again and get back to you.

gorilla

First Grade
I'll agree with that..

Frazier had Ali's number to a certain extent..

One could argue 'Enry Cooper had his number too..

But there has been no more complete fighter than Ali in the history of the game IMO...

Everybody says, "XYZ had his number", but Ali won them overall.

He was a two to three generational fighter - and won as do the best of the best.

All these guys like Frazier, Foreman, Norton, etc were all single generational fighters.

Please don't bring Foreman's later fights into the 'trans-generational' bouts.

Fire

First Grade
A lot of people say Ali. But I think the 1988-1990 Tyson would give him a real shake.