What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the $$$ but no one to sign

MrT

Juniors
Colonel I think scottyeel was right, we can use next years money to upgrade contracts next year, we can't use 2006 cap for 2007

The Colonel

Immortal
MrT said:
Colonel I think scottyeel was right, we can use next years money to upgrade contracts next year, we can't use 2006 cap for 2007

Yep but we still have to spend this years cap. If we sign a lot of players to one year deals it works but who do we get to play in 2007 if we don't?

MrT

Juniors
sorry Colonel not catching you. I'm assuming we're at our limit for 2006. Money we're looking to buy new players with is under the 2007 cap. We have reportedly some 1.5 mill from memory to spend. So we have our contracted player + 1.5m to spend on new players and the contracts can be devised as I have stated above. Not sure why you mentioned the 1 yr deals.

mickdo

Coach
I think that some people are forgetting that most of the players who we have been 'hoping' to sign have not been allowed to officially talk to other clubs (yes, it probably doesn't mean all that much) until another half an hour from now. It probably isn't exactly as if we have been actively bidding back and forth on these guys. They have pretty much all re-signed with their current clubs!

jayman

Juniors
MrT said:
sorry Colonel not catching you. I'm assuming we're at our limit for 2006. Money we're looking to buy new players with is under the 2007 cap. We have reportedly some 1.5 mill from memory to spend. So we have our contracted player + 1.5m to spend on new players and the contracts can be devised as I have stated above. Not sure why you mentioned the 1 yr deals.

yeah my understanding was... we have this huge gap thats unused in our salary cap.. and that if we were tight under our cap for 2008.. then all we would be doing it offering extensions on there current contracts .. not top ups...

so for example..of 2008s cap.. if we were pushed to 4mil...and say for tahu.. all we could offer was 300k..(example) and nothing more.. ie what hes currently on.. then we couldnt even push say 30-40gs...

If we signed say 3-4 marquee players for 2-3 yr deals.. then our cap would be at its limit.. and then when tahu and co come off contract, they wouldnt really be offered more money as such..

by having a 300-400 gap or wateva for 2008 cap.. we effectivly can go after top players coming off in 2007 PLUS topping up our current stars contracts..dont know if that at all makes sense....;-)