Aloiai gone?

Discussion in 'Wests Tigers' started by phenisha, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Shredder

Shredder Juniors

Agree, but I dont think you guys are going to release him. I suspect if that was even a remote possibility we would have waited for that to be confirmed before we made the announcement.

2. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

It'd be nice, but there's no value in Penrith letting him go and I guess that is fair enough.

We have a bit more balance in the backline with Roberts arriving and I think Doueihi can be a very serviceable 5/8.

If we trade out Garner for Sirro that would be a good outcome as well. Sirro found his feet at Manly, and I don't think Madge will allow him to take a backward step. I do like Garner but I think he was found wanting in defence this year and it was compounded that he was often lined up with other defensive juggernauts like Benji, BJ & Nofoaluma.

3. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

He would be handy depth for us no doubt. I'm speculating here, but his last contract would have been under Gus who was a big advocate of paying the kids overs. Laurie has been earmarked as a potential gun for a number of years now, so I assume he is on above the minimum. Not huge by any means, but probably 50k above. With the drama we are having getting the Critta & Lenui deals over the line an extra 50k could be very handy for us on the cap. Release Dane & replace him in the squad with one of the next batch on the minimum.

The same of course would apply to Burton, but he is more valuable kept to cover injury & when Cleary is off walking barefoot through the garden with Freddy.

4. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

By all accounts he is a very talented kid. I can understand why Penrith would hold onto him when he doesn't take a top 30 spot and could potentially play for you later in 2021 if injuries hit. Makes zero sense to release him.

5. Rhyno

Rhyno First Grade

Penrith shouldn’t release Laurie unless they get something out of it
    Especially since the tigers are holding Aloiai hostage

#FreeJosh

6. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Referee

He is on a development contract which is a standard $80k for 2021 so unless Penrith want to promote another Jnr to take his spot then there is zero salary cap benefit to them in releasing him. If you need some relief you’d release Burton as he’s top 30.

I also have no issues with Penrith keeping him for next year as he is under contract

Tiger Ted likes this.
  7. Tigerm

Tigerm Bench

You never stop have they kicked you out of eels forum?

8. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

I thought he had been upgraded into our top 30. If it's the development contract then yeah, absolutely no gain for us letting him go early. I had hoped we would keep him over Staines tbh. Both have big futures I think, but Laurie just has a bit more X factor imo.

Tiger Ted, Tiger05 and Tigerm like this.
  9. Tiger05

Tiger05 First Grade

That is good info. Thanks.

It'd be great to get him early. I think fullback is a problem position for us next season.

Tigerm likes this.
  10. BrotherJim05

BrotherJim05 Bench

I don't think Aloai is going to get any better than he already is. I really like him as a player, and wish we could keep him, but Ofahenguae has WAY more potential. At his best he is an Origin player, and for all Madge's faults, he can get the best out of his front rowers.

Sironen was pretty shit in back row at Tigers but so was everyone playing under Taylor (apart from Teddy - who is just a fkn freak). He's really come on playing under Hasler, who has a similar style to Madge in the way he drills the players and takes zero shit. I'm confident Madge can get the best out of Sironen, and our S&C department have really done well keeping our players on the paddock in recent years. Whether he has more upside potential than Garner remains to be seen. He was absolutely killing it on the left hand side with Brooks but then was moved to right side where his form dropped off considerably.

Aloai and Garner for Sironen and Ofanhenguae is a good deal, but the chips are in our favour. I'd like the club to use our position to get more out of it

11. macnaz

macnaz Moderator Staff Member

Big no to Sirro , way to injury prone .

Mr_Raditch likes this.
  12. Fordy20

Fordy20 Juniors

I got the feeling that the Panthers might have made Laurie's early release contingent on us taking Mansour off their hands, which I doubt will happen with Josh holding out for a three year deal.

Vic Mackey likes this.
  13. Blackwhitegold

Blackwhitegold Juniors

Please like this comment if you think rhyno is knob. Thanks for the likes

14. gordsy

gordsy Juniors

I am surprised and he should be grateful the ban hammer hasn't come down on him...

15. The Rosco

The Rosco Juniors

>.> some things go without saying.
    #rhynolovestheweststigersandhatesthewoodenspoonersparra

16. Tigerm

Tigerm Bench

17. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

Got big Joe and the happy clapper sook has been released to Manly.

Also, Rhyno is a bed wetting spud.

Old tiger 79 and Tigerm like this.
  18. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Referee

Real shame to lose him, sad the way things ended, he’s been a great servant to the club for the past 5 years

19. BrotherJim05

BrotherJim05 Bench

I really want to know the full story re Aloai, guess we may never know

20. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

He had a consistent year last year too, was our best prop by a long way.

Says a lot though when a 32 year old forward coming in out performed him still though.

WA Tiger likes this.