What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL - Week #5

Tomahawk

Staff member
Tomahawk said:
Tomahawks Picks

Raiders
Boston
Sharks
Bulls
Fight

3 out or 4 is not bad. I thought the raiders would give the Cats a better match then that.

Lloydy;

Do you have any more info about the match.

And have heard the Mantarays having been getting better every week. Getting better numbers each week. It's a shame that they could not have started off like they are playing now.

Loser

Juniors
Tomahawk said:
Loser;

1st - Before this gets into a pissing match I could care less if you respect me or not. I have more people in this forum that respect me.

2nd - Your screen name is Loser, come on.

3rd - I do more to help the AMNRL then most people in the league.

4th - I have provided information to people players that have came over and now play for other teams. Just ask Lloydy

5th - As much as I want the Bulls to win another championship, I want the AMNRL to expand each year. Dave Nui, Bobo, and others have done some amazing.

6th - I have made friends with several people, and try to provide information about the AMNRL to the international Rugby League community.

So I could care less Loser and you will probally find others that feel the same way.

Stop it Tomahawk, you're gonna make me cry.

slow frontrower

Juniors
T-hawk, Loser is right in the fact that your are a bulls cheerleader(its ok we all support our teams)....., and the Knights are missing their top 4 or 5 guys. If they return no matter where they play the bulls a diffrent outcome of the game could easily happen.

Did Vassy and Cheif play this week?

Tomahawk

Staff member
Vassy did not play and yes chie did play. Also Brian Cofner (Buckco) did not play. The Bulls only suited up 21 players.

gothecats

Juniors
T-Hawk, when you say suited up only 21 people you are not implying that they were shorthanded? I would think 8 subs are plenty.

Play some footy

Juniors
I agree - suiting up only 21 sounds a lot better then suiting up 17. A couple of more guys and you could of played a game amongst yourselves.

And Knights supporter - you don't think 4 or 5 guys could possibly turn around a 50 point whitewashing!

Glad to see the Bulls playing well even without the services of Vassy.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Gothecats;

I said only 21 because the Bulls ussually suit up 25-30 players at home. Also when the Bulls played the Knights in NY about a month ago the tables were flipped. The Knights I believe suited up about 25 players that game, and the Bulls suited up 17 players that game. After the Bulls lost by only 4 points that match I said that I odds were in the Knights favor. The odds are always stacked in the favor of the team with more subs.

Play some footy

Like lloydy said things don't reather matter until playoff time. However, things are starting to get intresting.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Wildcats Convincing in Connecticut Cup Win

The Connecticut Wildcats moved one step closer to clinching the top of the AMNRL table with a convincing 36-6 win over 2nd place Northern Raiders at Andrews Field. With the temperature sitting around 90 degrees, the match proved to be a heated battle between the two Connecticut rivals. The match was a dead heat until Wildcats drew first blood in the 16th minute through Andrew Webster, who went through 2 raider defenders to scurry from five out to put the first points on the board (6-0 Murray Roeske conversion). The Raiders took advantage of some costly missed tackles to quickly answer back and draw the scores even at 6-6. But the Wildcats stuck the ball right back up the gut thru winger Gareth Gibbs, who linked up off Christian Rahui and proceeded to dissect the defense over the next 60 meters, to put the Wildcats out in front (12-6 Roeske conversion). The Wildcats took advantage of a penalty from right in front, opting to go for goal with Murray Roeske successfully converting to go into half time with a 14-6 lead.

In the 2nd half the Wildcats proved to strong for the Raiders with centre Mark Whitney crossing 5 minutes in, to push the score line to 20-6 (Luke Collins Conversion). The Wildcats scored again through Whitney, with a display of quick hands to put winger Curtis Cunz over in the corner to make it 24-6. But on the next kick-off, USA Tomahawk forward Will Brazier broke the defense single-handedly and linked up with Murray Roeske who sprinted the rest of the 50 meters to go in and make it 30-6 (Roeske Conversion) The Raiders played 2 man short the rest of the game with centre Danny Sutton and Prop Steve Bullock given the marching orders by referee Rob Irwin. The Wildcats took full advantage and with a serious of inside balls, created a hole for hooker David Lloyd slide through and link up with Lock Danny Bull who touched down with 1 minute to go in the game. Luke Collins successfully converted to make the final score 36-6 pushing the Wildcats out to a 9 point lead on the Conference ladder, with three games remaining in the regular season.

Next week, the Wildcats travel to the Castle to battle the Knights, who are coming off back-to-back losses to the Bulls and Raiders. The Raiders play the Bulls at Glen Mills next, in a battle for second place in the Conference.

www.amnrl.com

Misanthrope

Staff member
Can I just say how much I want to come over and play? lol. Once a do a few years of teaching I intend to do some work in summer camps over in the US. Will have to try and get out to a couple of games.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Sharks Survive Scare Against Slayers
Written by: Phil Shipos & Grant Nicholson

With temperatures soaring in the upper 90’s in Levittown on Saturday, the Sharks welcomed the DC Slayers to Shark Park. The Sharks, currently atop the Franklin Conference, looked to widen their lead versus a Slayer side that was still looking for their first win of the 2005 season. Despite a strong showing for DC, the Sharks came out eventual winners 44-38.

The game was delayed over two hours due to heavy traffic for the travelling side and the wait showed on the Sharks in the opening period. The Slayers looked fresh and scored on their first series taking a 6-0 lead. Two minutes later, the Sharks struck with a try of their own, with a strong run from winger George (conversion by Steve Thompson, 6-6). On the ensuing set, a Sharks mistake led directly to another Slayers score (10-6).

Both sides would exchange two more tries a piece making the score 22-16 Slayers at the half. Sharks tries were scored through strong runs from forward Zach Padgett and Justin Zadnik. Slayers tries were both "length of the field" scores resulting from Shark mistakes deep within striking distance of blowing the score wide open. Instead of making it a four try lead, the Sharks went into the half shaking their heads.

“Sitting around for a few hours in that heat before the game didn’t help the boys at all,” mention Shark Management. “I don’t think our boys ever recuperated and we were lucky to come out only down 6 at the half.”

With the Sharks backs to the wall, the offense finally took off. Two length of the field tries to Padgett and the “Ageless” Fred Bachaus put the Sharks ahead 28-22. Again the Slayers came right back with a try of their own to make the score 28-28 with 15 minutes of play remaining.

The final 15 minutes saw a traditional Shark side with scrappy defense and quick offensive work. Two tries under the posts to forward Grant Nicholson and hooker Sal Raniello saw the Sharks take a commanding lead 38-28. The Slayers clawed their back to within a try after putting one away in the corner to make the score 38-32.
With time running down on the clock, fullback Phil Shipos took a ball from dummy half up the middle of the Slayer defense for a 50 meter score and a lead of 44-32. A Slayer score at the buzzer made the final a bit more respectable at 44-38.

The Sharks have the week off for the 4th of July holiday before taking on an improved Media/Delaware Valley Mantaray outfit at "Shark Park" on Thursday, July 14th.
Be sure to follow the Sharks on their quest for the 2005 AMNRL championship at http://njsharks.rleague.com

Match Statistics
Sharks - 44
Sharks Tries: Zach Padgett (2), Justin Zadnik, Sal Raniello, Grant Nicholson, Fred Backhaus, Phil Shipos, George
Sharks Goals: Steve Thompson 5/7, Derek Tully 1/1

DC Slayers - 38

Halftime: Sharks 16 - Slayers 22

Referee: Billy Bowen
Date: Sat 25 June 2005
Venue: "Shark Park", Levittown PA
Game Time: 2:00pm EST
Conditions: Very hot and humid. Pitch bone-dry and very unforgiving.

more info go to www.amnrl.com

Latest posts