What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Honest assessment of Todd Greenberg

How would you rate Greenbergs'

• Great for the game. A significant step up from his predecessors.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Nothing special. Done some things that are great for the game, and others not so good

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Would have been better off with Dave Smith.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • GTFO you sook

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

super_coach

First Grade
Toddy is the classic version of a mudguard..shinny on top and full of crap underneath. He is a man of zero substance, everything is about appearances. The game can no longer survive without quality.eadership and that basically means Toddy and most of the commission need the flick

Perth Red

Post Whore
Todd Greenberg has often mused that the constant speculation over the future of the game’s biggest names only adds to the theatre of rugby league.

On Thursday night, as he officially launched the NRL season at The Venue at Alexandria, it was Greenberg’s turn to feel the glare of that spotlight. The NRL chief executive is effectively the biggest name in rugby league off contract as the Australian Rugby League Commission ponders whether to trigger a two-year extension to his deal.

Greenberg can point to a $30 million annual surplus, a $1.8 billion investment in NSW stadia infrastructure and the implementation of the NRL’s ‘no fault’ stand-down rule as proof he deserves to remain at the helm. Yet some in the corridors of power believe Greenberg is more style than substance as his future becomes tabloid fodder.

The former Bulldogs boss has been sidelined in negotiations for the upcoming broadcast deal as ARLC chairman Peter V’Landys takes the lead. There is no suggestion Greenberg's relationship with V’Landys is anywhere near as frosty that with former chair John Grant, but conjecture will continue until his future is decided.

It may well be Greenberg’s last season launch if some of the clubs get their way. Their share of the revenue pie is decreasing and they are unhappy about it.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...sip-at-nrl-season-launch-20200305-p5477l.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
V’landys was even less inclined to discuss Greenberg’s two-year contract extension, which was supposed to be signed before Christmas, then early in the new year, then when V’landys returned from holidays in late January, then early February, then the end of this month …

The pair are expected to meet late on Friday, after the annual general meeting, to discuss the deal. But it wouldn’t surprise if negotiations dragged on until the start of the season.

V’landys and Greenberg say there’s nothing to see here, but the reality is there's a considerable power play happening behind the scenes as V’landys stamps his authority on the code.

If V’landys had complete faith in his chief executive, surely the extension — which was one of the loose conditions of former chairman Peter Beattiestanding aside in October last year — would have been signed off by now.

As one club boss said this week: “In this game, your chairman and chief executive need to be so close that you can’t fit a cigarette paper between them”.

V’landys has consistently denied theories about him wanting Greenberg’s job, although his remarks at a Carbine Club lunch at the Magic Millions racing carnival in early January about juggling his day job as Racing NSW chief executive while ruling rugby league stirred plenty of chatter in both sports.

“I'll decide in the next 12 months,” V'landys told the room, according to several people at the function. “If I see that I can't do both, I will have to make a decision.”

His trip to the US with Abdo and not Greenberg has been interpreted by some club bosses as a sign that V’landys wants to cut Greenberg out of the broadcast deal. It’s no secret that V’landys is a huge supporter of Abdo.

Greenberg attended the WCC, Abdo was supposed to be on the same trip but was a sudden withdrawal before being redirected to the US with V'landys.

ARL Commission sources say the board has been split about Greenberg’s contract being extended. Is Greenberg the right man for the game’s most thankless job — even if it does pay upwards of $1.2 million a year plus bonuses?

The announcement on Thursday of a $30m profit for last season suggests he’s doing OK, although club chief executives will grill him at the annual general meeting about the game’s costs.

There’s still a belief, certainly among the clubs and the states, that Greenberg is more worried about surviving than having vision; about perception and optics.

He’s made some mistakes but had several wins, and at the very least the game cannot really afford to sack another chief executive and find a new one, especially this close to the start of the season. Better the devil you know and all that.

Should he survive, it will be compelling viewing as he goes about his business for the next two years with V’landys sitting on his shoulder.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/v-...nberg-future-grows-murky-20200227-p544z5.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys has commented on speculation that NRL CEO Todd Greenberg's days in the top job are numbered.

Several reports this week have mentioned a rift between the pair and with Greenberg in the final year of his contract, there are suggestions he could be moved on.

V'landys, who has lead the ARLC since taking over from Peter Beattie, spoke about Greenberg's contract situation on WWOS radio.

"Todd's got a contract, as he has said publicly, until October, there's no rush to move into these things," V'landys said.

"The Commission is well aware of the contract and we will be dealing with it as a matter of urgency and that's all we can stay at this stage."

When asked if any other candidates were being lined up, V'landys denied they were making plans for life after Greenberg.

"We're not looking for anyone else at the moment... there's plenty of time to look at all these different things," he said.

"In saying that, Todd will be set some pretty hard KPIs, we want to make sure we all perform and that includes the Commission and Todd."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...best-peter-vlandys/1uafxaxm312731fr3ch3kqecih

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez after a massive grant increase the clubs are still whinging!

He is an adept media performer, but the clubs need convincing that the NRL is pulling in their direction and has their best interests at heart.

On Wednesday, departing Melbourne chair Bart Campbell provided an insight into the simmering frustration with head office.

“Like the Melbourne Storm, there remains room for improvement in the NRL in how they work with clubs and the states,” Campbell said. “My sincere hope is that the NRL don’t waste the opportunity that exists to continue to enjoy harmonious relationship with the states and clubs by slipping back into feeding them titbits of information and not treating them as the shareholders.

“We assign them our rights contractually and their job is to monetise those rights, which is the income which funds the game.

“Their function thereafter is to distribute that income in a way that meets with the support of the shareholders in a way that ensures the amateur and professional game survives.

“Without the revenue produced by the states and clubs, none of that is possible. Sometimes they are capable of losing touch with who is responsible for what.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...d/news-story/862c4dcecebae967bacbd0201e1ce087

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It wasn’t hard.
I just used your words to prove you and dopey Timmah wrong.
That’s the beauty of the “ reply” button.
If you want to win on technicalities then sure.

But the majority of rugby league followers either don't know or don't care. The forum isn't representative, you should know that.

carcharias

Immortal
If you want to win on technicalities then sure.

But the majority of rugby league followers either don't know or don't care. The forum isn't representative, you should know that.

Bullshit.

It was definitely on the news and radio at the time...
People were questioning why.
It was all over other forms of social media.

you look like a goose trying to deny it.

Fangs

Coach
Barb's ring was a shameless moment. But better get used to those moments I think. Cam Smith is destined for head office.

And he wants those titles reinstated.

Timmah

Staff member
Bullshit.

It was definitely on the news and radio at the time...
People were questioning why.
It was all over other forms of social media.

you look like a goose trying to deny it.
Sounds a bit like false equivalency. I haven't said it wasn't on news, nor that there weren't people questioning, nor that it was all over social media.

I merely said that the majority of people likely either didn't know or didn't care. There's far more important shit to worry about.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Sounds a bit like false equivalency. I haven't said it wasn't on news, nor that there weren't people questioning, nor that it was all over social media.

I merely said that the majority of people likely either didn't know or didn't care. There's far more important shit to worry about.

haha "false equivalency"

It was in the papers, all over social media but most people didn't care cos that's what I believe.

Timmah

Staff member
haha "false equivalency"

It was in the papers, all over social media but most people didn't care cos that's what I believe.
Wait, it being in the papers and all over social media means most people care? :joy:

carcharias

Immortal

Mate cut the bullshit.
That qld bogan was trying to tell me nobody outside of this forum gave a shit.
That’s bullshit
I proved with 4 news links that people are giving a shit.

...you got involved for some reason.
Now your trying to change the angle.
Haha
Ya f**king goose

Timmah

Staff member
Its a good indicator. Where's your proof that people don't?
If you think something being in the papers automatically makes it a good indicator of public opinion then I think we have to agree to disagree.

Latest posts