What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

• Yes

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 121 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Danish said:
Are you talking about the older of the Saleh brothers that went to De La Revesby?

If so, i was in his younger brother's class. He had the same "I am a wanker" attitude :lol:

Benilde Catholic;-), his brother was a wank aswell!!!

Hassan would walk into class and try and crack jokes and everyone just wouldn't laugh...so he'd walk out, f**king tool!!

He use to think the women loved him. Once I was talking to my friends who he was friends with aswell about this hot chick that i was lucky enough to have gotten with, he got pissed off and abused me calling me ugly etc etc. I just laughed at him and said "stick that up your arse".

Yeah his younger brother I knew him sorta aswell, exact same love me do attitude who would get the sh*ts when things didn't go his way.

Thank f**k I didn't play that much with him, f**king hated him!

kickback

Juniors
Johns was up there with the best but in the last 4 years he has hung on to something that he could not keep up with he should have quite years ago and had a little more respect.

1. Lewis
2. Langer
3. Lockyer
4. Kenny
5. Johns

Ant

Juniors
Where does he stand, well its very hard to judge because obviously they are all from very different eras. Past players are remembered often with rose coloured glasses and any current players who are held up as being similar are often jumped upon whenever they show fault. This goes along with the belief that past greats seemingly played awesome in every game they played.

No player has ever played awesome footy every single time they step out.

After saying all that where do I rate Johns, well as good as they get. Is he the best ever, too hard to judge, is he in that group for sure.

I guess the best players I have seen play were probably, Lewis, Kenny, Sterling. Fittler was also a very good player, as was Daley and Langer. Big Mal and Lazarus also left huge impacts on the game. Lockyer is good too and probably still improving as a player.

Johns is as good if not better than any of those mentioned above. I'd probably put wally and he in a little category above the others from the last 25 years. I think Joey was better than sterling or langer or any other recent halfback.

The only thing he lacked was any genuine speed, but he wasn't a slow player. His skill level with hands or feet was phenominal, but for mine the thing that tops him off is how rugged he was as a defender. The only reason to target johns in the defencive line was to wear him out, because he was a powerful defender, you couldn't say the same about any other top line halfback in the last 25 years, well not one with the same skill level. Yes Turvey was a great cover defender, but he couldn't sit people on their backside front on like Johns.

So you have perhaps the most skillful halfback to have gone around, who tackles like a 2nd rower, that is why in my view he is as good as anyone I have seen.

bobbis

Juniors
Wasnt old enough to see Lewis and Sterling, Id go with Langer as the best Ive seen (1992 onwards). I just don't think Johns was anywhere near as dominant as people make out, a great player definitely, greatest ever, no.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
In my 25 years following the game i'll say on his day Andrew Johns was the best i have seen. Lewis was great, but had good skills more suited to the 5m rule and the game in that era.

Skill wise Johns was a true master, the complete playmaker.... he will be immortalised.

My "Best i've seen" team would be:

1. Lockyer
2. Sailor
3. Meninga (c)
4. Daley
5. ET
6. Lewis
7. Johns
8. Webke
9. Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Sironen
12. Menzies
13. Fittler

14. Clyde
15. Mundine
16. Roach
17. Mason

shane1970

Juniors
I'm 36 years old and been watching footy since I could and Joey is BY FAR the most dominant player I have seen play the game so YES.

Slackboy72

Coach
A lot of Queenslanders are getting upset at Johns being rated so highly. And particularly upset at a great like Fittler being mentioned in the same breath as Lewis. From what I saw (because I never watched the apparently highly rated QRL in the 80s where Lewis played most of his football) Lewis never dominated or carried a team like Fittler or Johns carried their teams. Yes he performed well for Qld at SoO level but so did Johns and Fittler. Hard not to when surrounded by stacks of talent. When that talent wasn't there though... well lets not talk about the Seagulls shall we.

Azkatro

First Grade
You know, thinking about it there wasn't really anything in particular that Johns could do that Wally couldn't. Maybe he'd shade him on the short kicking game, but there's a whole bunch of things like the never-say-die attitude, the defense, and the football brain where Wally has it all over Johns.

Having said that, Dean Rampling would be my pick.

The Preacher

First Grade
He's been absolutely brilliant, but I can't say he's the best I've seen.
Changa is the best I've seen, with Fulton, Lewis and Johns on a level par behind him.
I still think though, that the best game I saw Joey play was, without a doubt, his return to Origin in '05. You couldn't have scripted Joey's performance any better than the way he played that night.
Apparently, when he went into camp before that game, it has been said that the whole mood of the team changed to one on invincibility.
Thanks Joey.

Slackboy72

Coach
aaah, nice selective quote there.

Wayne Bennett obviously thought like you when he gave the captaincy to Miles. Then replaced him with Walters. Then gave him the boot.

Noa

First Grade
As complete as a player as Ive seen but I wouldnt rate him #1 among the players Ive seen. Imo when his teams where on the back-foot his temprerment was suspect and his impact on the game diminished greatly.

The likes of Lewis, Langer , Daley and Meninga i think were more likely to come up with the big play when their teams were really under pressure .

1. Alfie - Dominated this comp for ten years, 4 titles, nuff said (how come there was no talk to fast-track his immortatlity).

2. Glenn Lazarus - A dominate prop is just about the most valuable player in the game. Glenn is the best in my time (by far) and won 5 titles with 3 clubs, he deserves his spot.

3. Mal Meninga - His longevity in the NRL gets him above Wally. Probably the most impressive physical presance of any-one ever in the NRL. Ability to inspire his team very under-rated.

4. Wally - Controlled a game better then anyone, ever. Came into the NRL late in career, have no doubt had he come earlier the "greatest ever" talk would be moot. Could fire up like Joey but never seemed to let it get the better of him.

4. Joey

6. Laurie Daley - I think many of us under-rate how great Lozza was. I think he was the best player at Canberra during their run and at SOO level I dont think theres been any better. When a big run was needed Laurie was there.

7. Darren Lockyer - If he plays another 2-3 years could be the G.O.A.T.

Note. Never warmed to Brad Fitler, felt he only became close to being a dominate player in the last couple years of his career. For the majority of his career I always felt that he had more to give.

meltiger

First Grade
yakstorm said:
Who can truly be called the greatest ever? And how do you justify such a statement?

Is it based upon statistics or what we feel makes them the greatest? Is it based on their performance in big games or is it based consistency? Is it about the big things they did or the little things they did right?

Honestly I think its too hard to label any single person as the 'greatest ever'. I think most people would agree Johns has certainly been a class above most other players in the last 10 years. He has played some magic football and helped Newcastle to two Grand Finals, he has represented and captained his State and Country, and right up to his retirement could have slotted back into the rep scene without too much difficulty.

So he truely was, at least in my eyes, great, possibly one of the best I've seen in my 24 years, but I wouldn't dare insult past greats by putting Johns above them simply because they played either before my time, or before I could appreciate their skills and footballing talents.

Good post Steve.

You can also add in the fact that Joey has had access most of his life to modern training methods. Just how good would some of the St George greats have been if born in the modern era, or some of the Easts players of the '30s, even Wally would have been a better player if born 15 years later.

Johns is one of the greats without question, the greatest? It's impossible to compare teams, let alone individual players across generations.

& those naming Lockyer ... :lol:

The Best I've ever seen. Lewis comes second. Wally was a true great, but Johns was even greater.

In attack - his passing game, short kicking game, reading of play, "creating something out of nothing" was second to none. Add to that...

Defensively, he was amongst the strongest in the comp, one of of the best defensive halves I've ever seen. Add to that....

Goal kicking - one of the best in the League. Could kick em from all over the park.

Johns had proven himself consistently for almost 15 years in the toughest competition on the planet. (Through no fault of his own) Wally only came into the nsw league with the Broncos in 88, half his career over, and his last 2-3 years (including his time on the Gold Coast) were fairly average by his standards.

Wally Lewis was a true great of the game, but in all areas above Joey had him covered IMO. But Lewis was the greatest Leader I've ever seen in the sport of League, and Sport in general.

Andrew Johns is without doubt the greatest player I've ever seen, and if my opinion changes before I die I hope he wears a Red & White Jersey.

simon says

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
Johns had proven himself consistently for almost 15 years in the toughest competition on the planet. Through no fault of his own Wally only came into the nsw league with the Broncos in 88, half his career over, and his last 2-3 years (including his time on the Gold Coast) were fairly average by his standards.

Agreed.Lewis did excel in SOO......but thats three games a year.

Lewis was ordinary at club level.

Johns' record at club level speaks for itself.

perverse

Referee
Certainly the greatest i've ever seen. i thought he finally silenced his critics in '05.

i like to subscribe to meltiger's theory - you can't compare players of different eras. johns has been the greatest of his era. i voted yes on the poll merely because he's the best i've seen.