What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

• Yes

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 121 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono Russell

Bench
At his best about 2 - 3 years ago yes but not lately.

Injury and lack of form has really hurt him over the past 2 seasons.

I am sad that he had to go out this way. His last ever match was against a strugling Raiders side and they got flogged.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
miniHINDY said:
Why does everyone think that people in this generation have to be the "best ever". Its quite ridiculous.

The question should be, 'Andrew Johns - Greatest you've ever seen?'

He is the best player I've seen in my 22 years. My memory of footy stretching back to around 1990.

Ridders

Coach
not of all time; you can't compare players who play in different era's in the same way so there is no real way of saying who the greatest of all time. i'll say that he's the best i've seen

yakstorm

First Grade
Who can truly be called the greatest ever? And how do you justify such a statement?

Is it based upon statistics or what we feel makes them the greatest? Is it based on their performance in big games or is it based consistency? Is it about the big things they did or the little things they did right?

Honestly I think its too hard to label any single person as the 'greatest ever'. I think most people would agree Johns has certainly been a class above most other players in the last 10 years. He has played some magic football and helped Newcastle to two Grand Finals, he has represented and captained his State and Country, and right up to his retirement could have slotted back into the rep scene without too much difficulty.

So he truely was, at least in my eyes, great, possibly one of the best I've seen in my 24 years, but I wouldn't dare insult past greats by putting Johns above them simply because they played either before my time, or before I could appreciate their skills and footballing talents.

Glenn

First Grade
S.S.T.I.D said:

He is the best player I've seen in my 22 years. My memory of footy stretching back to around 1990.

Still No.. Give that to Peter Sterling, winning every award both national and international there was on offer at the time and in a elite class as the only player to be awarded a perfect 10 twice in the RLW player rankings.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Definitely the best that I have seen, which includes live games, highlights and games from past and present.

_Johnsy

Referee
I have been watching RL for 30 years. I can only vividly remember some of the big names mentioned in previous posts. However as far as the modern era he is the best I have seen, he does not have a weakness.

Rod

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:

I'm in the same boat, I starting watching about 1991. Unfortunately I didn't get to see much Lewis, but in my time he is definitely the best I have seen. And that includes Lockyer, at times I think Lockyer approaches Johns but Johns at his peak, the way he could turn or dominate a game, I've never seen anyone else do it like him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
_Johnsy said:
I have been watching RL for 30 years. I can only vividly remember some of the big names mentioned in previous posts. However as far as the modern era he is the best I have seen, he does not have a weakness.

no weakness? hmmm i think i could come up with a few

_Johnsy

Referee
He will be an immortal, without a doubt. At his peak he was better than Lewis, Kenny, Langer, Price, Fulton and Sterling.

I did not see Churchill, Langlands or Raper in their prime.

Johns has simply been more dominant in more aspects of the game than any other player i have ever seen.

its hard to compare different eras but has any past player excelled at,

Passing
General Kicking
Attacking Kicking ( grubbers, bombs , chips etc)
Goal Kicking
Running the ball

and even for a halfback , Defence.

Personally i dont think any other player that has ever strapped on a Rugby League boot has ever had as much ability as he did.

IMHO , he is the greatest Rugby Player of all time.

_Johnsy

Referee
Azkatro said:
Temperament springs to mind ...

A few dummy spits FFS ! joey is no different to wally. Tell me one first grader who has not had those. i even remember junior pearce having a spit. lets talk about weaknesses in his game;
Vision, kicking, defence, passing, speed of the mark, the greatest mark of a player is that he made everyone else around him look good. in that aspect he is the best I have seen.

Surely even the Joey haters can accept this ? If he was a QLD'er there would be a gold statue of him in every QLD town with a population above 5.

Nook

Bench
Easily the best player I've seen (since say early 90s), a cut above all the other halfbacks.

Fittler and Lockyer are the only others from recent times in his league IMO.

There will always be plenty of Knights fans trying to claim his as the best ever, and plenty of sad acts bleating about him being an arse as if that had any sort of impact on his footballing ability.

I'm just sorry I don't have any of his games on tape, because in 50 years time when I'm telling my grandkids about the handful of great players I saw over the years I'm absolutely certain that he'll be one of them. That'll do me - best player ever or not, he's a legend, and he'll be missed.