What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

• Yes

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 121 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ouwet

Bench
So it's pretty much this...

Under 15-18's - Yes best ever.
Over 18's - NO.

He is not the best ever... AND unless we have seen everyone play we can never judge the best ever, all bullsh*t imo! He was a talented and gifted Rugby League player but he never dominated IRL or SOO... When i say dominated you need to look at Lewis (He dominated), John's had one or two good series.

Balmain_Boy

As much as the label can be applied to a player, yes.

That is to say he is a member of the group I would term the greatest ever. Attempting to place that group in any order is foolish in my personal opinion.

I generally feel players of today have to be classed as better than those of the pre 1995 era. Full time professionalism has made players far fitter, stronger and better conditioned. I think that hyposthetically if you put todays athletes up against those from the 70s or 80s or even early 90s they would probably beat them easily. That's not to say that if playes of the past were playing today they wouldn't be even better because they would, but you can't judge those players on what could have been.
On that basis I believe the best player of the post 1995 era deserves to be considered the best of all time and I think it's fair to say Johns is the best player of that era. Lockyer and Fittler would be right up there also and Lockyer still has a few years left yet but overall I think Johns has had such an impact on the modern game and is so highly skilled in so many ways that he would have to rank number one for now.

KempoKnight

Juniors
LebaneseForces said:

all bullsh*t imo! He was a talented and gifted Rugby League player but he never dominated IRL or SOO... When i say dominated you need to look at Lewis (He dominated), John's had one or two good series.

Your off your head mate

mxlegend99

Referee
IMO he is easily the best.

What other player being injured could change a teams odds from $13 to $31?

Johns in his peak was the best ever IMO. He had it all. And he was a great player for his entire career basically.

As others have mentioned, the best thing was he could make the others around him look great also. Only he could have come back from injury, into a wooden spoon team in 2004 and won nearly every game for the remainder of the season and just scrape out on taking out the Dally M Player of the year.

_Johnsy

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Up there but not the greatest.

Once again, spoken like a true QLD'er.:sarcasm:

Wally is the greatest from QLD and Johns is a better complete footballer than Lewis, no doubt. As I said in another thread if Joey was from QLD there would be a gold statue of him in every QLD town with a population above 5.

Nook

Bench
LebaneseForces said:

Over 18's - NO.

If you are just going to make it up why bother?

Most people are either saying 'he's the best I've seen' or 'he's not'. People are entitled to form an opinion based on what they have seen - it is the only thing they can do.

I know plenty of older guys who say Johns is the best they've seen.

mongoose

Coach
Easily the best player i've seen play.

Players like fittler, langer, daley, lockyer could not dominate and control a game like Johns. The above players needed classy players around them to dominate. Johns at his peak could dominate a game in a team of average players. That's why i rate him the best i've seen.

LebaneseForces said:

Over 18's - NO.

He is not the best ever... AND unless we have seen everyone play we can never judge the best ever, all bullsh*t imo! He was a talented and gifted Rugby League player but he never dominated IRL or SOO... When i say dominated you need to look at Lewis (He dominated), John's had one or two good series.
Over 18 and voted yes, tbh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
_Johnsy said:
Once again, spoken like a true QLD'er.:sarcasm:

Wally is the greatest from QLD and Johns is a better complete footballer than Lewis, no doubt. As I said in another thread if Joey was from QLD there would be a gold statue of him in every QLD town with a population above 5.

I wasn't even going to say Lewis. There are a few people ahead of him..John Raper, Clive Churchill, Steve Rogers, Reg Gasnier, etc. He MAY be the best of this generation. Even that could be debateable with Lewis.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
yakstorm said:
Who can truly be called the greatest ever? And how do you justify such a statement?

Is it based upon statistics or what we feel makes them the greatest? Is it based on their performance in big games or is it based consistency? Is it about the big things they did or the little things they did right?

Honestly I think its too hard to label any single person as the 'greatest ever'. I think most people would agree Johns has certainly been a class above most other players in the last 10 years. He has played some magic football and helped Newcastle to two Grand Finals, he has represented and captained his State and Country, and right up to his retirement could have slotted back into the rep scene without too much difficulty.

So he truely was, at least in my eyes, great, possibly one of the best I've seen in my 24 years, but I wouldn't dare insult past greats by putting Johns above them simply because they played either before my time, or before I could appreciate their skills and footballing talents.
I would agree.

mxlegend99

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
Hell no!!!! hasn't done anything since 2003, Langer owned him in the SOO at 35 lol
Did you miss 2005 where he came back from injury and took the Wooden Spoon team with zero wins, on to win i think it was 9 out of 10 games he played and also nearly took out the Dally M Player of the year in less then half a season? He also came back for Origin 2 with nearly no game time and lead NSW to victory.

Last year he started off with his team thumping a few clubs with unbeleivable performances... before his form slowly got worse as the season worse on. His last few games were extremely average... but in the past season he has played some brilliant games still.