What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

• Yes

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 121 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Azkatro

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
A few dummy spits FFS ! joey is no different to wally. Tell me one first grader who has not had those. i even remember junior pearce having a spit. lets talk about weaknesses in his game;
Vision, kicking, defence, passing, speed of the mark, the greatest mark of a player is that he made everyone else around him look good. in that aspect he is the best I have seen.

Surely even the Joey haters can accept this ? If he was a QLD'er there would be a gold statue of him in every QLD town with a population above 5.
Well it's only my opinion, and of course yours will differ, but I just felt that when the chips were down Johns' attitude was very poor and with a level head and his ability he may have been able to turn more results around from a deficit in his career. But so often a few things would go against his team, his head would go down and that would be the end of it. He's never been much of a fighter like that IMO.

Plus I don't disagree with the QLD'er remark, but he's not a Queenslander therefore we comparitively couldn't really give a sh*t about him retiring :lol:

When Wally dominated it was under the 5mtr rule ...less time to react,less time to choose an option.
The king is the best i have seen.

Fathead

Bench
Lockyer ??????? You kidding

Im a parra fan and Ive been watching league for close to 50 years, so I think Ive seena fair amount of legends and good players.
Didnt see Dally Messenger play but if he was better than Joey then he must have been great.

Without doubt - Andrew Johns was the greatest player of the modern era.

Fathead

Bench
In the days of video analysis and defensive techniques Joey reigned supreme.
I didnt care much for him as a person but .... as a player - wow.

Ive seen benji Marshall do some things in the last few years and I said to myself - that reminds me of Johns.

I personally think Ken Thornett came close to Joey, so did Clive Churchill. Then theres daylight....
As for Langlands, Raper, Beetson, Lockyer etc - all great players but none had the sheer impact that Joey had. Daley ???? WTF - a good player but the best ????

Joey - What a player. Ran plays, scored tries , created tries and then kicked goals from anywhere on the park. cant do more than that.

Beginning as a kid of about 77..seeing those parramatta /manly players of the time..and the entertainers canterbury..i really thought that sterling/mortimer were the best..Lewis was magic...but overall..combining all the football skills in one player..it has to be Johns...
His one weakness...refused to tackle with left shoulder..always had head wrong position...strong defender ..probably the best halfback defender of all time..tho would nt tackle left sholuder

Fathead

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
I've always rated Meninga and Lewis as the best I've seen.

Walt - Im a qlder too but Mal Meninga ?????:crazy:

Altough I do respect your opinion !

Brutus

Referee
Lewis is the best player I've ever seen.

Langer is the best halfback I've ever seen.

Joey's the best Newcastle player I've ever seen.

_Johnsy

Referee
considering the amount of "forward traffic" joey had to deal with, I'd have him above Lewis. Every other aspect of the game he has Lewis or any other modern footballer covered.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Fathead said:
Walt - Im a qlder too but Mal Meninga ?????:crazy:

Altough I do respect your opinion !

I was born in 1982 so I didn't really conciously see any League until the late 80s. Everything I saw Mal do was stamped with greatness, the sort of stuff you don't see from your average player. He created inspiration in any team he played in Captaining Australia and Queensland aswell as Canberra to 5 Grand Finals and 3 premierships. He brought more to the table than just skill and ability. You can't coach what Mal had.

_Johnsy

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:
You can't coach what Mal had.

But you can coach what Joey did ?:crazy:

Yeah Mal was a great player, he never did much ball work around the rucks, more your bash and barge player.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mxlegend99 said:
Did you miss 2005 where he came back from injury and took the Wooden Spoon team with zero wins, on to win i think it was 9 out of 10 games he played and also nearly took out the Dally M Player of the year in less then half a season? He also came back for Origin 2 with nearly no game time and lead NSW to victory.

Last year he started off with his team thumping a few clubs with unbeleivable performances... before his form slowly got worse as the season worse on. His last few games were extremely average... but in the past season he has played some brilliant games still.

Offcourse:roll: A Johns was the reason they won 9 games, not the other 16 players. No matter how good Johns might play he still needs 16 other blokes performing well aswell. And the reason why they did win was because Newy finally had their playmaker back, just look at Brisbane without Lockyer, Canberra without Stuart etc etc, the playmaker is the missing link which generally determines if that side wins or not.

* awaits the bit about Johns bringing out the best in his players and all that sh*t' *

Also,who does he write for? the Daily Telegraph is a bogan newspaper with bogan analysts.

Wally imo was the best because he dominated Origin under the 5 metre rule, Johns had the luxery of the 10 metre rule. Wally was SOO, Johns wasn't.

If it's worth anything I think he's a great of the game, but no one can determine who the best ever player is...unless you're 110 years old and seen ever great play.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
_Johnsy said:
But you can coach what Joey did ?:crazy:

Yeah Mal was a great player, he never did much ball work around the rucks, more your bash and barge player.

Stuart influenced the way halfbacks play today eg long spiral passes, banana kicks, torpedo bombs etc.

_Johnsy

Referee
lockyno1 said:
I wasn't even going to say Lewis. There are a few people ahead of him..John Raper, Clive Churchill, Steve Rogers, Reg Gasnier, etc. He MAY be the best of this generation. Even that could be debateable with Lewis.

Apart from sludge, did you actually see those player play ?