What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns Retires - It's Official

Martli

Coach
Was looking forward to seeing him play on the all golds tour. Obviously doing what's best for his body though. Sad to see him go.

Fathead

Bench
As a parramatta supporter and a follower of league for close on 50 years let me just say this -
Andrew Johns was without doubt the best rugby league player that I have ever seen.
Those who say that Darren Lockyer is close have no idea.

There was Andrew Johns and daylight second. If Dally Messenger was better than Andrew Johns .. he must have been great. In an era of advanced fitness and defensive techniques, Johns reigned supreme.

As a Qld and Eels supporter, I would go to the footy at Newcastle, just to see the great man play and to tell my grandkids that - yes I did see him play live.

A sad loss to league...

Mr48Volts

Juniors
Fathead said:
As a parramatta supporter and a follower of league for close on 50 years let me just say this -
Andrew Johns was without doubt the best rugby league player that I have ever seen.

There was Andrew Johns and daylight second. If Dally Messenger was better than Andrew Johns .. he must have been great. In an era of advanced fitness and defensive techniques, Johns reigned supreme.

As a Qld and Eels supporter, I would go to the footy at Newcastle, just to see the great man play and to tell my grandkids that - yes I did see him play live.

A sad loss to league...

Nicely said!

NoJoeyNo

Juniors
Nuffy said:
RBK, thats what its more than likely going to be, he'll finish this year.

You'd have thought a "out of the game today" announcement would be channel 9's exclusive property, not a news conference in Newcastle.

I wished you were right. What a sad sad day for Newcastle NSW and Australia and the Game of Rugby League.

Its such a tragedy he wasnt able to go out in a better way. We never knew we were seeing his last game. But on the positive side we got to see the greatest footbaler ever to place on boots for 15 years.

The NRL just wont be the same without him.

Heard it 2.5 hours ago still find it bloody hard to accept it.

Thanks for the msg fathead, msg brought a tear to my eyes.

Cheers.

murraymob

Coach
As a penrith supporter this is a sad day for all supporters from all clubs. I was looking forward to our boys testing them selves against johns. Look forward to seeing him on 9 footy programs in the future

Rod

Bench
Still a bit in shock, but when I remember the things he did on the field I am grateful that he played for so long. It was a privilege to watch him play for 14 years, even though I never got to see him live (ironically I was planning to in Brisbane this year). He is simply the best I have seen. Thanks for the memories, Joe.

fred_knight

Juniors
Im gutted, That guy was the king to me...no-one will ever replace him in the game....

sad, sad loss.
But good luck in the future Joey, all the best and thanks for the memories.

Jedda

Juniors
I can't believe its ended like this. The big 3 of Chief, Joey and Matty Johns were the reasons why I started following the Knights.

It's been an honour and a privilege to watch one of the best ever ply his trade in the name of teams I've supported.

I guess all thats left is to say thanks and I wish Joey all the best for retirement.

NoJoeyNo

Juniors
Jedda said:
I can't believe its ended like this. The big 3 of Chief, Joey and Matty Johns were the reasons why I started following the Knights.

It's been an honour and a privilege to watch one of the best ever ply his trade in the name of teams I've supported.

I guess all thats left is to say thanks and I wish Joey all the best for retirement.

Yep it sure is devestating - but at least all three will live on in the Footy Show. I know its not the same - but I am sure Joey's gunna make an awesome commentator. Not many guys know the game as good as he was. I was so hoping he was going to play a swansong in the State of Origin this year..... and not to mention a 2007 premiership to go with 97 and 01. Im gutted!!

Pumba

First Grade
Fathead said:

A sad loss to league...

Thankyou Fathead those comments mean alot.

Alex28

Coach
It is hard to take but...lets face it:

* He has nothing left to prove - nothing. He has achieved everything that he can in the game.

* While being an ordinary human being off the field, he was a genius on the field and gave his heart and soul to the club while out there. He deserved to go out a better way than this - but going on and risking permanent damage is just not worth it.

* The club is on it's way to being a force in the post-Johns era. We have won 2 out of 3 games without him and could have won the third with some luck and focus. Plus his $500K will be handy for recruitment next year.

Farewell champ. Thanks for the premierships. Thanks for the memories.

Doctor

Bench
To judge his skills on the basis of the last few seasons is a mistake -- Johns was in his prime around 2000-2003 and will be remembered for his ability to make anyone look good around him.
It's a huge loss to the game but a big blessing for the Knights. The fact is that having the world's best league player in your team actually diverts attention from other players who need recognition. The Knights have several players who will now step out of the shadows -- Buderus, Mullen and Simpson to name only three.

It's a real shame the Knights have struggled without Johns for several years. The good news for Knights fans and bad news for those who persist even this season with one-man team suggestions, is that the Knights have actually performed better without Johns. They won both games without him, lost his comeback game against the lowly-ranked Raiders and then narrowly missed out against the competition's best team, Melbourne.

For too long they have settled for being easy-beats without Johns, and now they get their opportunity to celebrate his career and move on. They will play better for now knowing he won't come back to save them and they can now swim by themselves and stick it to other teams under their own steam and own powers.

It's unfair on Johns, the Knights, the Knights fans and the wider competition for Johns to continue to be injured -- if his body has had enough then why expect him to continue?

A stella career comes to an end. The collective weight has been lifted from many Novocastrian shoulders, not the least from a man who has carried the hopes of a half a million people for more than a decade. If he isn't the most complete player ever, I challenge you to find one who is.