What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns: Shaun Johnson to be a star

Hatzy

Juniors
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2283018/Shaun-Johnson-to-be-a-top-player

Junior Warriors sensation Shaun Johnson has vowed not to let praise from the game's greatest player Andrew Johns go to his head.

The 18-year-old from Whangaparaoa, made his debut for the Junior Warriors last week.

And so impressive was his performance at standoff, Aussie league great Andrew Johns has sung his praises in today's Sunday News a move sure to set off a bidding war for the player's long-term future.

"Far out, man," an emotional Johnson said when told of Johns' comments.

"To hear that from a player like him... wow. To be praised by someone I idolised growing up him and Stacey Jones were the two guys I looked up to as a kid is just amazing.

"It definitely puts the pressure on but at the same time, it makes me even more excited about playing league. I really, really want to do well now.

"Before, it was kind of about myself and now all these people are saying nice stuff about me, it makes me want to strive to live up to their expectations."

Johnson, a New Zealand touch and Aussie Rules rep, is a product of Orewa College and made his way to the Warriors after an unsatisfying stint playing first XV rugby.

"I played rugby for school but didn't like it at all," he said.

"My dad told me I could move to Aussie if I wanted and try my hand at league, which I started playing at club level when I was four.

"We decided to send a CV over to (Gold Coast club) Burleigh Bears and pretty much the dude who received it was a Kiwi and he just sent it straight back to the Warriors. They called me straight away.

"That CV had none of my league stuff in it. It was full of my touch rugby achievements.

"I came here and was light as. I was 68kgs when I arrived and I was told I had to pack on the weight. I'm about 82 kgs now but my goal is to get to 87kgs."

Johnson, who says dad (Paul), mum (Say) and brothers (Adam, Joe, Topo) are his No 1 fans, works full time at Rebel Sport.

He will line up for the Junior Warriors against Manly in Sydney today.

"For my first game of Toyota Cup I didn't really know what to expect at all," he said. "I knew it was going to be fast but I didn't expect it was going to be as fast as it was. Everyone's talking about the try I scored or the one I set up but it's all about the team. The boys are the reason I had room to play like that."

Junior Warriors coach Tony Iro says there's no doubt Johnson has talent.

"He's obviously got a lot of talent but there's a lot of talented kids in New Zealand and Shaun has got a lot of stuff in his game to work on," Iro said.

"He's always wanted to be a league player and play in the NRL. That's his goal and he's been in our development squad for 18 months to two years. Shaun's a very gifted footballer but it's too early to tell what his future will be in the game. Ask me that question after round 20."

Hatzy

Juniors
Oh ooops. Here is the original Andrew Johns article.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2283002/Johns-backs-future-Kiwi-star

Andrew Johns has put every NRL chief executive on red alert by tipping Warriors junior Shaun Johnson for greatness.

Johns – widely considered to be the greatest player ever to lace up a pair of league boots – watched Johnson for the first time last weekend when he wore the No 6 jersey for Tony Iro’s Warriors under-20 side.

And last night he told Sunday News that no one playing in the halves has impressed him as much since the day he first saw Stacey Jones playing in the Warriors reserves against Newcastle in 1995.

"I haven't been this excited about a player in a long time," Johns said.

"While I am not comparing him to Stacey, it probably would have been that long ago since I've been impressed by a player as much as I have been impressed with this kid."

Johnson, who debuted for the under-20s last Sunday against Parramatta, comes from a touch and Aussie rules background.

He wowed experts and commentators alike against the Eels when he showed numerous touches of class, scoring two tries and producing a stunning chip kick which he collected expertly and then stepped and swerved past defenders before sending interchange forward Elijah Niko in for a magnificent try.

"Everything Shaun did was class," Johns said. "Sometimes, when you watch players, they seem to have more time than anyone else on the field. He has that.

"He set up a try, scored a couple himself and at one stage he was surrounded by defenders coming at him but he remained cool under pressure. Nothing fazed him.

"He's one of those players who don't come around too often."

Johns' comments will send alarm bells ringing through every NRL club's corridors none more so than the Warriors themselves who have Johnson signed on an opportunity-based contract until the end of next season.

Sunday News understands Johnson's current deal is worth only $12,500 a year.

CEO Wayne Scurrah would be wise to begin negotiations to extend the 18-year-old's contract immediately before Johnson's managers Peter Brown and Frank Endacott begin fielding offers for him from the Penrose outfit's NRL rivals.

Endacott a coach at the Warriors during Jones' first four years at the club isn't surprised by the rap given by Johns to the young standoff .

"I'm a little bit loathe to heap too much praise on young players but obviously the early signs are very good," Endacott said.

"And it's interesting that Andrew Johns has said what he said because I remember him saying the same thing about Stacey all those years ago."

Clearly Johnson still has it all to do one game for the Warriors' under-20s does not a career make.

One of the Warriors' priorities is to build up his body.

He weighs in at 82kgs and the lesson of watching the Tigers send a young and underweight Benji Marshall into the NRL cauldron a few years ago has been noted at Warriors HQ.

But for Johns who only rarely grants interviews these days to go on the record so enthusiastically suggests the future is bright for the one-time Orewa College student.

"He looks like the complete player," Johns said. "And he should have a great future in the game.

"He's got a good structure around him at the Warriors Tony Iro, (first grade coach) Ivan Cleary and Stacey Jones will look after him. He has to decide to work hard and make the sacrifices that he needs to make. If he does that he could have a great career."

Last edited:
"We decided to send a CV over to (Gold Coast club) Burleigh Bears and pretty much the dude who received it was a Kiwi and he just sent it straight back to the Warriors."

Hahh that`s a stroke of luck for the Warriors.He really is an awesome talent.

Deetroy72

Juniors
TBH the whole NYC 17 that played were totally outclassed by Manly NYC today -
1st 20 min very even with Manly 6-0 up and went in at half time 16-0 down quite gd for Warriors NYC as Manly had far more possession in the red zone. After half time though the flood gates opened and Warriors unable to stop Manly forwards. Possession and penalties lead to consecutive tries including a 100m run from the Manly NYC winger to score.

Shaun Johnson and even Kevin Locke unable to get going as too many errors but also Warriors forward pack dominated by Manly.

Not sure if they arrived this morning in Sydney but it was clear that the team was affected by the heat - very hot conditions at Brookevale. Heat + travel = tough day against Manly NYC

Good news back home to Mt Smart and familiar conditions. Hopefully 2008 returning NYC players help out the new boys and the team gets used to coming over to Aussie. Tough outing but lots of kiwi's at the game to support the boys

Good news for fans of Kiwi rugby league - Manly had four kiwi's playing in the team 17 today - Jared Waerea Hargreaves, Michael Tiopira, Lama Tasi (forwards) and Kieran Foran (our future Kiwi no. 6) and all were excellent and hopefully go onto 1st grade careers.

ozbash

Referee
Ah the nostalgia, love to read these old bygones...

See if you can find any about the owner$hip train....

Fieldsguy

Juniors

Johns – widely considered to be the greatest player ever to lace up a pair of league boots
Widely considered by whom?

It should read - "Johns is the most over rated player to ever lace up a pair of league boots".:lol:

Latest posts