What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Announcement at Kogarah today: Coops retires

RedPenno

Juniors
I remember watching coops when he 1st started on the wing in 1st grade, use to always have his socks around his ankles, as he matured the socks rose 7 so did his class. thanks for the memories , will miss those grunching tackles you did.

FlameThrower

Bench
...sorry to see him end it like this, and a generational change is occurring, not just here, in the next 3 years you'll see a big changes in most players rosters, so many teams with p,ayers on 29/30 years old, it's a time of change....
Finally apart from Nightengale and Morris who else in our squad right now is really Part of the Dragons DNA? We have a bunch of players from all various Clubs, that link is paper thin if u ask me..

RedVDave

First Grade
Thanks for all the great memories Coops, shame all that greatness ended on a sour note but all the good times will be cherished by us die hards!

Blue Dragon

Juniors
Guess my son will have to find a new favourite player. I have a great photo of Matt Cooper and my boy when he was 10 (my son not Matt Cooper) from 7 years ago. He made me wait outside the dressing sheds for about an hour until he came out to get his autograph. A great player and a loyal one club man. I'm sure it won't be the last time we'll see him around the place though. I have no doubt he'll mentor or coach in some way. Would make a great Strength & Conditioning Coach or Defensive Coach.

What a legend! We'll be judging all future centres by the standard he set. When my Daughter was still crawling around, I was watching a game, and Coops broke the defence line and was in the clear. As I do, I got up and started yelling at the TV. That's when my daughter said her very first words:" Go Coops!".
Wish you all the best in whatever you do next legend!

BennyV

Referee
What a legend! We'll be judging all future centres by the standard he set. When my Daughter was still crawling around, I was watching a game, and Coops broke the defence line and was in the clear. As I do, I got up and started yelling at the TV. That's when my daughter said her very first words:" Go Coops!".
Wish you all the best in whatever you do next legend!

THAT IS AMAZING!

Sad day for Dragons fans, he was one of the best centres of his era and its horrible that he goes out like this. All the best Coops, thanks for everything you gave to us fans, you were a true gentleman of the game and IMO one of the biggest contributors to the positive club culture enjoyed at the Dragons.

Now I must begin the long, difficult process of deciding which player gets all my man-love now...

gorilla

First Grade
I remember watching coops when he 1st started on the wing in 1st grade, use to always have his socks around his ankles, as he matured the socks rose 7 so did his class. thanks for the memories , will miss those grunching tackles you did.

made me :)

Stellar Club man and 3rd highest Dragons club games record,
Premiership, Grand Final and World Champion,
NSW and Australian representative.

Comprehensive defender, lateral attacker and senior leader in a team of champions.

I will not forget when he drew back an attacker from over the try-line.

Pigskin, Penguin and Roy-Boy Ferguson - welcome your new partner.

Coops ...there it is !

Coops ...there it is !!

Coops ...there it is !!!

My 3 Kids and I loved singing and dancing that one!!!

What a great man. Dragon legend through and through.

(What a great body !!).

Whenever I read the Team line-up and saw Gaz and Matt Cooper in centres, I knew the game would be entertaining and there would be a Show to see.

We'll miss Coops.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Coops has given me so many memories.
-His 100th nrl try kissing the emblem
-Match winning try Anzac Day 2005
-Combination with Gaz
-Flawless defence, even when he came back against souths he was smashing blokes

He was noted for his defence but his attack was underestimated, he had a great fend and great ability and strength to push over the line

His loyalty and passion for the red v and the way he speaks about our club always makes me proud to be a dragons supporter. I hope retirement treats him well, he will be missed

Comprehensive defender, lateral attacker and senior leader in a team of champions.

Yes, yes, yes....
All of that plus....

he was sexiest man in league for a fews years running.

Yep.
he had it all.

loved your work coops.
pity we won't see you play again - unless you turn out for the locals in 2014, like Fien and Ryles.

good life Coops!
hod.

Kuro

Juniors
Absolute legend!

I'm sad and happy for him all the same.

What a great player and an even better person!

Guess my son will have to find a new favourite player. I have a great photo of Matt Cooper and my boy when he was 10 (my son not Matt Cooper) from 7 years ago. He made me wait outside the dressing sheds for about an hour until he came out to get his autograph. A great player and a loyal one club man. I'm sure it won't be the last time we'll see him around the place though. I have no doubt he'll mentor or coach in some way. Would make a great Strength & Conditioning Coach or Defensive Coach.

what a great Story !

...good to see a man bringing his Kids up right : )

(My son made me do this for David Barnhill)

Father Ted

First Grade

Attachments

• Matt Cooper 2.jpg
    Matt Cooper 2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Matt Cooper.jpg
    Matt Cooper.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 6

TonyTrugett

Juniors
One of my fondest memories is of coops on debut against Melbourne in the game we got smashed (I think). A great swerving run up field reminded me of a young Steve Rogers.

One of those blokes that re-inforces your pride in the Red V. Will be telling my grandkids about that tackle in the Souths game. Nailed on eternal legend of St George. And in the highest echelons of that peerless elite.

Godz Illa

Coach
The press conference was emotional viewing. Coops nearly teared up himself on a few occasions, particularly when describing Saints as "the greatest club in the world". Beautiful stuff. The man is up in the pantheon of Dragons legends.

[brag] I have his match-worn WCC jersey. Will use it as a shrine to worship the almighty Coops forevermore [/brag]

IMG-20121005-00801s.jpg

Godz... how rude of you to flagrantly show off like that. Bloody disgraceful !!!

IT's a pretty impressive piece of Dragons history, and I dare say one day will be worth a small fortune.

I hope you have/get grandkids!!!