What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another AFL wanker bagging out the great game

Gippsy

Bench
The difference is, ours has at least a chance to be actually independent. The AFL's commission is only as independent as Demetriou wants it to be.

Can anyone seriously say they believe a bunch of supposedly intelligent people sat around brainstorming and came up with "we need an AFL team in Western Sydney and Israel Folau should be the the bloke we steal from Rugby League for marketing purposes"?

The far likelier scenario is that Demetriou wanted both the GC and WS teams in order to give AFL an extra game because he believes that will guarantee him his $1 billion TV rights contract, and his commissioners just agreed to save themselves from getting the arse...

Not long ago I heard a current AFL coach speak at a function and one of the things he said was that he, and the AFL, believe that whichever sport becomes the dominant sport in western Sydney will be the dominant national sport.

That is why they are expanding in western Sydney. And, strangely, he sees their major rivals in that area as soccer, not NRL. He actually described the NRL, and the NRL salary cap, as a joke.

Make no mistake, the AFL have a long term plan to be the dominant sport in every state of Australia, and that is why they manipulate the media. And that is why they denigrate the NRL, and will continue to do so. They would love nothing more than to see the NRL reduced to nothing, and for the AFL to takeover in traditional RL strongholds.

I agree with those that believe it is well overdue for the NRL to fight back.

Brutus

Referee
Make no mistake, the AFL have a long term plan to be the dominant sport in every state of Australia, and that is why they manipulate the media. And that is why they denigrate the NRL, and will continue to do so. They would love nothing more than to see the NRL reduced to nothing, and for the AFL to takeover in traditional RL strongholds.

Yet when directly quizzed about that in the media, they pull out the 'there's room for all codes' line which is utter bullsh*t.

Rugby league has been held back by an obvious handicap for too long now and it's time to make a stand and get rid of this horrid conflict on interest that prevents us from really having a dig.

Green Machine

First Grade
The adventure into Western Sydney and the Gold Coast is about one thing and it’s about convincing TV companies that they can dominate these markets and command a $50m a season on their next TV contract. Statistics and evidence does not support this claim. I think the AFL got themselves caught in a pissing competition. They suddenly discovered that the NRL had put a team on the Gold Coast and felt compelled to tell all and sundry that Victoria’s great waiting room was an AFL hotbed. They sent the Kangaroos to blow the Titians out the water. The same bullsh*t they used with the Kangaroos taking over is the same bullsh*t they used to tell everyone back in 1999 that the Kangaroos were going to take over Western Sydney. It doesn’t matter how well the AFL are successful the field in Western Sydney and on the Gold Coast. They only have limited amount of fans and their success on the field will be at the detriment to the Swans and the Lions.
AFL coaches spruiking the AFL’s takeover of Western Sydney has about as much relivence as Dean Laidley sellouts on the Gold Coast,

Gippsy

Bench
AFL coaches spruiking the AFL’s takeover of Western Sydney has about as much relivence as Dean Laidley sellouts on the Gold Coast,

Whether it is relevant to you or not doesn't matter. Being in western Sydney is part of the AFL's long term plan to be the dominant sport in this country. As part of this plan they manipulate the media to denigrate NRL while at the same time covering up their own indiscretions, which is what this thread is all about.

It's high time the NRL started to return fire.

Green Machine

First Grade
Whether it is relevant to you or not doesn't matter.
Anyone can spit sh*t. The AFL will be found out sooner or later
Being in western Sydney is part of the AFL's long term plan to be the dominant sport in this country.
That’s just their mantra for their next TV contract. They won’t be even playing a game in Western Sydney. The whole thing is a sham
As part of this plan they manipulate the media to denigrate NRL while at the same time covering up their own indiscretions, which is what this thread is all about.

They’ve been doing that well before they thought up Western Sydney Celtics
It's high time the NRL started to return fire.
Agree

Not long ago I heard a current AFL coach speak at a function and one of the things he said was that he, and the AFL, believe that whichever sport becomes the dominant sport in western Sydney will be the dominant national sport.

That is why they are expanding in western Sydney. And, strangely, he sees their major rivals in that area as soccer, not NRL. He actually described the NRL, and the NRL salary cap, as a joke.

The Western Sydney Giants (yes the new AFL team in western Sydney will be known as the giants) will be a colossal failure for the AFL. And perhaps the Gold Coast Suns will be too.

A failure because of two reasons:

1) They are putting teams into an already saturated market. This is NOT good business sense. Never has been. Never will be. And that ties to the second point.

2) They are putting teams into areas that are NOT crying out for teams. And one could say western Sydney does not want an AFL team at all. The AFL could throw sh*t loads of money into western Sydney, but throwing money into these two new franchises has already not worked and in many ways backfired horribly. The buying of cutie and Folau have turned potential fans against these two teams already.

I believe the AFL expansion will hurt them quite a bit (probably not to the extent super league did to rugby league) but quite a bit.

I also believe the AFL has reached virtual saturation in Australia (the only place it is hasn't expanded that it could is Tasmania)... and once the Suns and Giants come into the league it will become over-saturated. Accordingly thus the growth of the game has hit a peak.

Meanwhile, the NRL is NO WHERE near saturation. We have many areas crying out for teams. The NRL will grow immeasurably the next 10-20 years (if managed right and the Independent commission gives me hope )

Within 10 years I expect the NRL will become the media darlings the AFL are now.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
RL journos have no spine

Many of them just don't care. They report on league because it's the number one game in town. There's quite a few of them who report on league in both the Telegraph and SMH who also write AFL & union articles.

The only ones who I would classify as genuine rugby league fans would be Steve Mascord, Glenn Jackson, Roy Masters, Brad Walter, Dean Ritchie, Steve Ricketts, Paul Kent, Rothfield - these guys actually rate RL as their favourite code.

Now some of these guys write as posivitely as they can about the game while others just write mostly garbage (the publication they work for usually plays a part in this).

Then you've got the Webster's, Weidlers, Hallorans, Walshaws ect..who write league but you just know they prefer other codes. I used to think Nick Walshaw was a leaguie, but not any more. Then you've got you're floaters like Richard Hinds, Mike Coleman ect.. Hinds is an AFL man through and through, but used as an 'all-sport' floater/opinions guy by the SMH, while Coleman's first love is union, but he was an old Bears man too. He's not a fan of the AFL at all, but toes the line to best of his ability because you can't go bagging the AFL...even in the non-AFL states.

gUt

Coach
Meanwhile the ABC has Gerard Wheatley and Glenn Mitchell who are articulate and passionate about their AFL (and cricket) but no league equivalent.

Sean Fagan please stand up.

If that's true, AFL are f**ked. Does anyone in the AFL understand just how low in the sporting pecking order they are in Western Sydney?

Methinks not.

That is why they are expanding in western Sydney.

Yes, the offical line.

I'm sure that they have the sheet from Demetriou telling them what the official reasons are. The real reason has a lot more to do with the next TV contract than anything a coach is going to provide.

And, strangely, he sees their major rivals in that area as soccer, not NRL. He actually described the NRL, and the NRL salary cap, as a joke.

ahhh, his speech reeks of arrogance. I like it because when it all ends up in tears, he'll be looking for a hiding place.

You should name him by the way.

I know what their plan is.

But they have little understanding of the actual magnitute of the undertaking.

If they had any idea, they wouldn't have bothered spending money buying Folau, they would have chased someone who is actually popular in Western Sydney.

Anyone who thinks that a bloke who played for Brisbane, Melbourne and Queensland is going to pull the punters into AFL in Western Sydney needs a triple lobotomy.

We need to start paying for our press.

Like the AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
while Coleman's first love is union, but he was an old Bears man too. He's not a fan of the AFL at all, but toes the line to best of his ability because you can't go bagging the AFL...even in the non-AFL states.

he did here http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=329482

and here http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=2169380&postcount=64

and this one not long ago http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/afl-drug-policy-is-exposed/story-e6frepkx-1225913461728

Gippsy

Bench
The Western Sydney Giants (yes the new AFL team in western Sydney will be known as the giants) will be a colossal failure for the AFL. And perhaps the Gold Coast Suns will be too.

A failure because of two reasons:

1) They are putting teams into an already saturated market. This is NOT good business sense. Never has been. Never will be. And that ties to the second point.

2) They are putting teams into areas that are NOT crying out for teams. And one could say western Sydney does not want an AFL team at all. The AFL could throw sh*t loads of money into western Sydney, but throwing money into these two new franchises has already not worked and in many ways backfired horribly. The buying of cutie and Folau have turned potential fans against these two teams already.

I believe the AFL expansion will hurt them quite a bit (probably not to the extent super league did to rugby league) but quite a bit.

I also believe the AFL has reached virtual saturation in Australia (the only place it is hasn't expanded that it could is Tasmania)... and once the Suns and Giants come into the league it will become over-saturated. Accordingly thus the growth of the game has hit a peak.

Meanwhile, the NRL is NO WHERE near saturation. We have many areas crying out for teams. The NRL will grow immeasurably the next 10-20 years (if managed right and the Independent commission gives me hope )

Within 10 years I expect the NRL will become the media darlings the AFL are now.

I agree, I really can't see these two new AFL teams succeeding. BUT, the delusion and the arrogance of the AFL about these new teams, especially western Sydney, amazes me and it is obvious they are going to throw a bucketload of money in these areas to try to make it work.

Living amongst the Victorians I see the manipulation of the media every day, and the Vic's lap it up. They love showing their outrage at the antics of the NRL players while laughingly dismiss anything their AFL hero's get up to, which is mostly a helluva lot worse than anything the RL boys do.

I see the arrogance of the AFL every day in their own contrived little world, where they ensure all teams take turns winning the comp of the "best game on the planet".

Everyday I see deluded Vics who can't understand why other countries, hell, why even other states don't play their dopey game. Now we have the deluded AFL looking to takeover the country, obviously just before they takeover the world, by expanding into RL areas. I believe these teams will fail, and I hope they do, but I know how important these areas are in their future plans and they have a big bucketload of money and a contrived competition to help them succeed.

I find it as frustrating as hell, and can't believe the NRL won't return fire and start promoting itself as the greatest game of them all. Maybe they will when this IC gets up and running, I can only hope.

Brutus

Referee

He definitely doesn't like AFL, but I've heard him say some rather uncharateristic things in favour of it on his radio slot before.

He does have the potential to be a Fat Pat on our side of the fence though, but his employers probably wouldn't allow it.

beercoaster

Juniors
Everyday I see deluded Vics who can't understand why other countries, hell, why even other states don't play their dopey game. .

That's not entirely true because it is played in all states.
Do you see any analogies between Gridiron in the States being a one country game as well?
Ironically, Gridiron (NFL) is the most attended comp in the world and I think the AFL is 3rd or 4th.

Last edited:

Latest posts