What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another, lets get Robbie Back Thread

Stranger

Coach
Great news.

One of the top questions i want to know is why isnt O'Davis playing in the center instead of carmot yet?

~bedsy~

First Grade
There was something about a problem with the cap and why Robbio can't play... Chief was talking about it on the radio.

Alex28

Coach
i would hope they had a problem with people not having enough imagination than to looking at tired old hacks to fill positions that we have enough talent to fill in lower grades.

tell me Stranger - how is putting O'Davis in a position he never even really played going to help the club long term?

what has Brad Tighe done so wrong to warrant staying behind Carmont, let alone staying behind a guy who is well past his prime and hasn't put in the hard work to warrant a spot in first grade this year?

there are much bigger questions to ask here besides why a guy who doesn't know when to let go of his football career isn't getting a run...

Stranger

Coach
what has Brad Tighe done so wrong to warrant staying behind Carmont, let alone staying behind a guy who is well past his prime and hasn't put in the hard work to warrant a spot in first grade this year?

If it were up to me i would have him there BUT if they are going to keep putting Carmot there wouldnt you rather they sign O'Davis for nothing? Atleast we know O'Davis will tackle and hes not a turnstile.

tell me Stranger - how is putting O'Davis in a position he never even really played going to help the club long term?

We should be thinking about now FFS. Do you enjoy loosing these games? loosing a club record amount in a row? We need to think about this weeks game not what is going to be happening next year.

**edit

And besides wont O'Davis bring Knowledge and experience to the club? A bit of pride, Passion which is what a few players are lacking! So O'Davis may also be able to help junior players also.

Johns Magic

Referee
Stranger said:
We should be thinking about now FFS. Do you enjoy loosing these games? loosing a club record amount in a row? We need to think about this weeks game not what is going to be happening next year.

But by considering the future in the present, we will be taking measures to prevent us from losing in the future.

Do you like being on the bottom of the table? Well if we don't properly address these issues NOW, then we may be here for a very long time.

It's harsh but true.

Stranger

Coach
Johns Magic said:
But by considering the future in the present, we will be taking measures to prevent us from losing in the future.

Do you like being on the bottom of the table? Well if we don't properly address these issues NOW, then we may be here for a very long time.

It's harsh but true.

So JM O'Davis wont bring experience into the squad will he? He wont be able to show the young guys a thing or 2 will he?

And by leaving the Carmot in first grade has gained us what exactly? By Still having Carmot missing tackles and reading defence terrible is planning for the future how? So whats the harm in giving O'Davis a shot in the centers?

Well if we don't properly address these issues NOW, then we may be here for a very long time.
They are working well so far arnt they? what exactly are they doing to help Carmot?

Johns Magic

Referee
Stranger said:
So JM O'Davis wont bring experience into the squad will he? He wont be able to show the young guys a thing or 2 will he?

Firstly, why the hell would we want O'Davis in the centres when he is quite clearly a fullback?
He will struggle in the centres in defence. He never was the best head-on tackler, and he'll have to do plenty of it there, marking the big back-rowers on the fringes.
Robbie's reputation in defence was built on his cover-tackling, which he won't be able to do at centre.
Robbie is too slow to be a centre. Like it or not, his inability to break the line will not help us score any more tries. He is not agile anymore and he certainly doesn't have the size to bust tackles.
Why not give players like Tighe who actually have a future at the club a go?

And by leaving the Carmot in first grade has gained us what exactly? By Still having Carmot missing tackles and reading defence terrible is planning for the future how? So whats the harm in giving O'Davis a shot in the centers?

Why choose the 2nd best option when quite clearly Tighe is the best person for the position?

They are working well so far arnt they? what exactly are they doing to help Carmot?

When did I say they were doing well at the moment? Please show me where I said that, and then I will address the quoted statement.

Stranger

Coach
Firstly, why the hell would we want O'Davis in the centres when he is quite clearly a fullback?
He will struggle in the centres in defence. He never was the best head-on tackler, and he'll have to do plenty of it there, marking the big back-rowers on the fringes.
Robbie's reputation in defence was built on his cover-tackling, which he won't be able to do at centre.
Robbie is too slow to be a centre. Like it or not, his inability to break the line will not help us score any more tries. He is not agile anymore and he certainly doesn't have the size to bust tackles.
Why not give players like Tighe who actually have a future at the club a go?

Planning for the future is give the young blokes ago! But where do you see Hagen giveing them ago? So how are the knights planning for the future again? IMO i would rather O'Davis being in the center than Carmot.

Beacuse quite clearly we have enough fullbacks to plan with.

Johns Magic

Referee
Stranger said:
Planning for the future is give the young blokes ago! But where do you see Hagen giveing them ago? So how are the knights planning for the future again? IMO i would rather O'Davis being in the center than Carmot.

Well there is much more chance of Tighe being given a go than O'Davis.
And IMO I would rather Tighe at centre than Carmont and O'Davis.

Beacuse quite clearly we have enough fullbacks to plan with

If we were low on fullbacks I might agree that we need him. However as you said, we have his position covered. And he will not be suited to centre at all.

Alex28

Coach
Stranger said:

**edit

And besides wont O'Davis bring Knowledge and experience to the club? A bit of pride, Passion which is what a few players are lacking! So O'Davis may also be able to help junior players also.

Right, so our long term plan at getting back to the top is dragging old players back out onto the paddock. Lets see what Robbie McCormack is doing while Buderus is playing Origin should we? Maybe Matt Rodwell can have a go at halfback? Sam Stewart might want to be in the front row again?

I don't like where we are now, but how is looking back going to help up move forward? In the positions that O'Davis played we have options:

Fullback - Seage, Cooper, Thaiday
Wing - Thaiday, Quinn, Cooper, Salkeld
Centre - Gidley, Kidley, Tighe, Thaiday

Please...tell me why these guys should be sacrificed so O'Davis (who was really more of a speedbump than a turnstyle last year) can get his name on a hill or grandstand?

RABK

Referee
Great to see you guys turned this thread into crap.

A great positive for us passionate fans and you guys are arguing over why Carmont should be at centre over O'davis???

Think about some serious questions, this is a great oppurtunity.

Btw i'm not having a go at you, i just don't think this thread deserves to end up in TFC.

Stranger

Coach
So Alex i dont hear you complaing now we have Smith in the team? And i suppose you would oppose the chance at grabbing Parsons aswell?

Fullback - Seage, Cooper, Thaiday
Wing - Thaiday, Quinn, Cooper, Salkeld
Centre - Gidley, Kidley, Tighe, Thaiday

We do have those players but as it may seem Carmot is ahead of other "better" players. And to suggest O'Davis was more of a speed bumb is stupid.

You can list all the players you want but IMO Robbie O is far better than Carmot. And is planning for the future using the junk we have left in hughes and Carmot? is that really going to help us in the long? Atleast Robbie O will show the boys a thing or 2. To say that we should start planning for the future may be right, but come on we need some answers now! The management isnt planing for next week let-alone next year.

SGM

Juniors
well i would thin it would take robbie o a few weeks to get up to carmonts standards but after about 2-4 weeks Robbie would carve Carmont up who than would be sent to Jim Beam cup where he would fit in.

RABK

Referee
Look how is bringing back a 32 year old moving forward?

Wake up guys, at full strength out roster is fine. We have a world class backrow, a great rotation in the front row, two of the top 3 players in the world, and a backline with speed and solid defense.

The fact is we can't our top 17 on the park and it isn'y because O'davis isn't out there in the centres.

This is questions for the men in the suits, about the off field running of the club. In the end if we can't keep up off the field how are we supposed to comepete on the field?

The management has failed this club badly, questions need to be asked of the management.

antonius

Coach
I've split this from the "Good News" Thread. The thread is about asking questions re the re-building of the club, NOT O'Davis breaking Butts record (Which is all he's interested in. There's a piece in todays paper why the Knights will NEVER get him back. Just so you realise he wouldn't be free either, the NRL would put a value on him weather we pay him or not, so he would take money from our cap. Get over him he's finished.

Farquhar

Juniors
As an outsider looking in, (tigers fan in Newie) I think a lot of knights fans have a "nanna" mentality....... "Oh isn't that Robbie O a nice boy, lets have him back in the team" They can only see that some one like o'davis was good in the past so it stands to reason that he'd be great now.

I really think 2 important things in this debate have already been said here:
1/ O'davis wants the publicity so he can get back in and break Butts' record
2/ The knights really have to look forward instead of back.

Every club has cycles, you guys are just lucky the knights have been on the high side for so long. it's now time to start again and rebuild......are you going to be having this same argument about bringing back Joey in a few years, because there's no one as good as him to take his place. you need to look at the big picture, and that's not "how do we win next week" but "how do we win next year and the year after"

TooheysNew

Coach
Now is not the time to start to rebuild. We should have started that long ago. We've been downhill for ages.

Saint 60

Juniors
Well.. i can say only this..and no begrudge to Carmont..
Im glad Robbie O aint there this week...and Carmont is :)

thanks....