What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another sh*tty crowd in Sid-a-nee

>zuzu<

Juniors
Corbin said:
I went to the game

The atmosphere was INCREDIBLE

I honestly believe that the was 1/3 of the crowd was supporting the kiwis

Good turnout.

Look, IRL isnt strong at the moment, whenever i talk to people about IRL they laugh at me and say say its a aboustle joke.

Why?

Because of the RLIF, there wasnt enough marketing. it was a very poor approach to such a well contested series.

Dont blame sydney, blame the RLIF.
As was i, and im willing to say more then 1/3 were Kiwis. There were some pommy fans cheering the Kiwis on. It was 50 Aus, 40 Kiwi, 10 Pom who were supporting the kiwis

The Atmosphere was brilliant as you said. The Haka was crazy, and teh OZZIE v KIWI chant was done very well by the crowd.

Still, appauling crowd figure!

Charlie124

First Grade
On a side note, i was at the Ashes here in brisbane and if rugby league security ever gets as "Nazi-like" as it was at the Gabba ill shoot myself. One bloke (just that i saw) was KICKED OUT for starting an "Aussie Aussie Aussie" chant. A bloke at the pub i went to watch the Footy was kicked out of the Gabba for standing on his seat, not just asked to sit down, kicked out. The group of Barmy Army sitting near me either all got kicked out or left after being fed up with police telling them to be quiet. It was the first time ever ive been embarrassed to be an Australian supporter, Gabba management should hang their heads in shame.

Getting back on topic of the footy, It was disgusting to see so many empty seats at the Final, I couldnt tell what the atmosphere was like as i was watching it at a crowded pub (no sound) but im glad to read that it was good. Nevertheless i believe Sydney have had enough poor crowds to warrent moving the big ones to Brisbane or Melbourne or other regional areas to help grow the games following. 27,000 is just not even close to good enough for a game of this importance, id hate to see how poor it would have been if we hadnt lost the final the year before. This should have been a sellout reguardless of lack of media hype, enough sydneysiders follow rugby league (apparently) to know when/where the biggest match the Kangaroos have been involved in for a long time will be held.

Enough talk/excuses, more action

panthersballboy

Juniors
Big Pete said:
But also the ARL should consider why the game received a dissapointing crowd in Sydney and find ways to encourage people to go to the game.

This is what they need to look at. Sydney still had the highest TV ratings out of the 3 cities. So obviously the support is still here. The ARL just need to work out a way to get people to the games. It could be scheduling or where the game is played at. The poeple who say take it away from Sydney, that is not the answer. If the people of Sydney's interest in RL is declining, taking games away will make the interest fall even more. One thing I don't get is people on here whinging to take it to Brisbane when you wouldn't even go to the game there anyways. Unless you would go to the game your opinion just reeks of an anti Sydney agenda. Come up with a better solution than just taking the game away. The crowds in NZ were very dissapointing as well and the International RL need to come up with a strategy to improve crowds in these areas rather than just move the game somewhere else.

Quidgybo

Bench
panthersballboy said:
The poeple who say take it away from Sydney, that is not the answer. If the people of Sydney's interest in RL is declining, taking games away will make the interest fall even more.
Why would it? Sydney currently hosts over 100 games every year including at least one Origin and the Grand Final. Couldn't it be a sign of too many games when we struggle to get a decent crowd to a Test match in RL heartland? Perhaps it's not that they're not interested or that RL interest is declining, but rather that they're just swamped for choice and their wallets exhausted after a long season where they spent more than usual going to games because of the interest. Why should taking away one game in over one hundred affect fundamental interest? Why does Sydney have to host annual or even bi-annual Tests as opposed to every third year? The people who say take it away from Sydney shouldn't be doing so to punish Sydney but to reward other cities that have shown with bums on seats that they want and deserve more big games. A side effect of that could just as well be to generate *more* interest in future Sydney Test matches due to their increased rarity and novelty value.

Leigh.

pcpp

Juniors
panthersballboy said:
This is what they need to look at. Sydney still had the highest TV ratings out of the 3 cities. So obviously the support is still here.

LOL... You have to be kidding me if you use that as an argument.

The average in Sydney was 40,000 more than the average in Brisbane - Sydney is more than double the size and has 2.4 million more people than Brisbane.

It's like comparing Brisbane and Townsville. If a league match rates only 40,000 more in Brisbane than in Townsville i'd be very worried at the state of RL in Brisbane.

Corbin said:
I went to the game

The atmosphere was INCREDIBLE

I honestly believe that the was 1/3 of the crowd was supporting the kiwis

Good turnout.

Look, IRL isnt strong at the moment, whenever i talk to people about IRL they laugh at me and say say its a aboustle joke.

Why?

Because of the RLIF, there wasnt enough marketing. it was a very poor approach to such a well contested series.

Dont blame sydney, blame the RLIF.

your right there, if you were blind folded and just listened to the noise, you would of thought there was close to 50k there.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I find it highy ironic that a cricket test in brisbane today had more empty seats than a Souths home game at Telstra. This is cricket - THE MOST HYPED GAME IN HISTORY - and our alleged national game.

Shame, Brisbane, Shame. Test cricket should never be played there again.

mattyg

Bench
Misty Bee said:
I find it highy ironic that a cricket test in brisbane today had more empty seats than a Souths home game at Telstra. This is cricket - THE MOST HYPED GAME IN HISTORY - and our alleged national game.

:lol:

You'd never find that in Sydney :lol:

panthersballboy

Juniors
pcpp said:
LOL... You have to be kidding me if you use that as an argument.

The average in Sydney was 40,000 more than the average in Brisbane - Sydney is more than double the size and has 2.4 million more people than Brisbane.

It's like comparing Brisbane and Townsville. If a league match rates only 40,000 more in Brisbane than in Townsville i'd be very worried at the state of RL in Brisbane.

What does population size have to do with it? What I was saying there is a hell of a lot of interest in the game here. More people watched it here than any other city regardless of population i.e. the fans are here to sell out matches. The issue the IRLF have is getting more of those people to go to them game than watch it on TV. I agree that perhaps 1 game should have been played here instead of 2 and it should be turned into an event rather than advertised as another game of footy. That is the problem with the marketing of the ARL. They should have just held the final here and advertised it as a major event.

Brutus

Referee
Moffo said:
it was too hot

was better than i thought it'd be actually

Would have got the same numbers had the game been played in the winter months.

The WC Final must go to Brisbane. It will sell-out in no time which will be good publicity for the tournament.

babyg

Juniors
I think Sydney crowds suck in general. It doesn't matter about the exuses.
Couldn't sell out origin. The fact is Test matches are consistently lower than in Brisbane. The amount of hype about the atmosphere at the GB game was huge, which means even more people will want to be there for the next one. 160,000 people attended the ashes. Sydney people just don't show up compared to gfl in Melbourne or anything in Brisbane.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
I was at the game - as stated atmosphere was amazing - it deadset felt like it was packed!

As an interesting sidenote - Auckland even would have got 27,000 people if the final had been there

MaTTy>>>

Juniors
Murphdogg1 said:
I was at the game - as stated atmosphere was amazing - it deadset felt like it was packed!

Yeah I'd agree with that. It was a good atmosphere, there was a lot of good barracking going on. Alot of Kiwi supporters though :lol:

pcpp

Juniors
panthersballboy said:
What does population size have to do with it? What I was saying there is a hell of a lot of interest in the game here. More people watched it here than any other city regardless of population i.e. the fans are here to sell out matches.

23.5% of Brisbaneites watched the match
11% of Sydney's population watched the match

2.46% of Brisbanes population attended the Aus v GB match
1.24% of Sydney's population attended both matches combined in Sydney

More people watched the first Tri-Nations match (Aus v NZ) in Brisbane than Sydney. There's no excuse for that.

t-ba

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
How so?

Leigh.

*Sigh*

Population:Sydney: 4,254,900 (3,938,900)
Brisbane: 1,810,943

Regular Season Aggregate:

Sydney: 1,405,620
Brisbane: 374,494

Finals Series Aggregate:
Sydney: 217,637
Brisbane: 50,387

Representative Fixtures Aggregate
Sydney: 125,051
Brisbane: 141,017

Attendance per Capita
Sydney: 41.09/100
Brisbane: 31.25/100
Comprehende?

n.b
i:These stats still recognise the Central Coast (pop:316,000) as part of the greater SD of Sydney, but I was magnimonious enough not to include the 15,000 or so that attended a game at Blue Tongue stadium. The % increases by 3% or so once you subtract that.
ii: what these stats fail to show up is the Broncos monopolisation of SE QLD. Whilst 1 game was played in Gosford (Part of the Sydney SD), 13 in Newcastle (510,885) and 6 in Wollongong (275,883), only one Game was played on the Gold Coast (482,037) and none on the Sunshine Coast (212,864). This is quite relevant, because the Broncos draw in a few thousand attendees from the Coasts to Each Game, and a heavy number of fans from across QLD for the SoO. Most Sydney Clubs don't have the Luxury of drawing on substantial supporter bases from the Illawarra (The Dragons excluded) or the Hunter.

Charlie124

First Grade
Misty Bee said:

sh*t i hope youre joking.

are you talking about the Ashes where 4 out of the 5 days were sold out? take note that for the 5th and final day England only had 1 recognised batsman left and were expected to be dismissed by lunch time, which is exactly what happend.

Quidgybo

Bench
t-ba said:
*Sigh*

Comprehende?
No need to be like that. The question was perfectly legitimate because the answer exposes the obvious flaw in your analysis. Given people in Sydney have over five times the opportunity of people in Brisbane to attend games and nearly twice as many weekends per year in which to attend matches, any conclusion that fails to take these facts into account is quite misleading. The Attendance per Capita *per Match* and Attendance per Capita *per Weekend* figures would show a vastly different story.

Leigh

Quidgybo

Bench
Charlie124 said:
take note that for the 5th and final day England only had 1 recognised batsman left and were expected to be dismissed by lunch time, which is exactly what happend.
I would have thought the fact it was the middle of a weekday would have been a more obvious point to make.

Leigh