What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another sh*tty crowd in Sid-a-nee

Moffo

Referee
dont forget the ashes was on in brisbane the same week as the brisbane match....that would've pushed the crowd up 10-15k easily

>zuzu<

Juniors
Sydney is not the heartland of Rugby League. Take it QLD, take it England. Just dont bring it here. Its rubbish crowds.

I was there last night, and i was more than appauled by it. Atmosphere was great though, but it was crap to see more than a quarter of the seats were'nt taken up.

Shame on you Sydneyers!

Big Pete

Referee
The Ashes weren't on when the Tri Nations match was played up here in Brisbane. The Ashes may have hyped Brisbane to draw maybe an extra 1000 fans but realistically 40 000 would never of been out of the question, we did it for the ANZAC test why not for the Tri Nations.

As I said, Sydney should be considered not to host the final for an International and alternative venues should be considered.

But also the ARL should consider why the game received a dissapointing crowd in Sydney and find ways to encourage people to go to the game.

Azkatro

First Grade
Just thought I'd add that the local rag the Telegraph followed suit with the patrons ... not even a full 2 pages on the game.

ozbash

Referee
Try and gow up and drop the petty childish insults eh?

thats big coming from you ink :lol:

langpark

First Grade
was good to hear Voss before the match say the sydney don't deserve the World Cup Final

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
I havent opposed this argument at all , never have despite you alluding otherwise...., in fact I agree, put Melbourne and Brisbane first, they have the runs on the board, but you cannot exclude Sydney totally.

Try and gow up and drop the petty childish insults eh?

So you agree with me yet I'm a f**ken idiot, I don't need to insult you, you're doing all the work for me.

hutch

First Grade
i went to both games in sydney, and although the crowds were terrible, the atmosphere last night for the last 30 minutes of the game were incredible. everyone was on their feet, and both sets of supporters were screaming. it looked like there were a lot more than a thousand more people there last night compared to the gb game, i can only assume the gb figures may have been bumped up.

one of the positives was the amount of kangaroos and kiwis merchandise that was being worn. i have never seen so many roos jerseys before. was great to see.

Misty Bee

First Grade
salivor said:
So yes I will continue to stick the boot in while Sydney continues to be allocated Tests as every report on this side of the ditch was concluded with the line of it's a shame it's going to be a poor crowd, it's embarrassing for the image of Test football.

So the media was death riding it also? Same as here, when it was given poor coverage, and buried under stories from 6 other sports. If it was hyped up, and given positive spin, there would have been far more.

Media negativity had an effect on you "I will continue to stick the boot in while Sydney continues to be allocated Tests" but it didn't effect anyone in Sydney?

And in your crusade to rid Sydney of tests, when was the last time a leage match jagged 27k in NZ? And you lot were reigning world champs?

Quidgeybo said:
Likewise you can't make a judgement without even checking the figures (in relation to per club support levels between then and now). As I said, I have no idea what the outcome would be one way or the other.

I wasn't making a judgement, just giving a possible reason. It as you that judged that it was impossible - I was merely giving you a scenario in which it was.

Whether the changed League landscape affects rep games in Sydney, who knows? It has definitely changed at a club level, and totally on the north shore.

Misty Bee

First Grade
hutch said:
i went to both games in sydney, and although the crowds were terrible, the atmosphere last night for the last 30 minutes of the game were incredible. everyone was on their feet, and both sets of supporters were screaming. it looked like there were a lot more than a thousand more people there last night compared to the gb game, i can only assume the gb figures may have been bumped up.

one of the positives was the amount of kangaroos and kiwis merchandise that was being worn. i have never seen so many roos jerseys before. was great to see.

Very good point. Ive sat at telstra in over 100k crowds that to me failed to match Parra Stadium with only 20k.

And re the colour - I saw that on tele too. Clearly, there is passion for the 'roojumper again, and it will only grow as the Kiwis keep putting in like that.

salivor

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
So the media was death riding it also? Same as here, when it was given poor coverage, and buried under stories from 6 other sports. If it was hyped up, and given positive spin, there would have been far more.

Media negativity had an effect on you "I will continue to stick the boot in while Sydney continues to be allocated Tests" but it didn't effect anyone in Sydney?

If pre-match sales had been on par with Brisbane then the media wouldn't have had anything. As it was, the poor ticket sales just gave the media something to jump on to. Sure negativity plays a part but Newspapers print what sells and cater to their core audience, why in what is supposed to be heartland Rugby League does League not sell?

There is one newspaper outlet that seems to positively promote Rugby League but all it seems to get is smirks from your types, the Courier Mail. Perhaps it's not so bad afterall?

Misty Bee said:
And in your crusade to rid Sydney of tests, when was the last time a leage match jagged 27k in NZ? And you lot were reigning world champs?

Considering League doesn't have anywhere near the profile or support in NZ as it does in Australia and Aucklands population is a quarter the size of Sydney (heartland Rugby League remember) then it's not a bad achievement to only fall 5-7k short of the Sydney crowds. Clutching at straws now.

salivor

First Grade
BTW, just to prove I'm not completely negative (I know that seems hard to believe) credit has to go to the Sydney crowd for the national anthem, sounded fantastic on the broadcast.

ucantseeme

Juniors
is the 2008 RLWC being staged pre or post season.

Originally I thought post season was the way to go but not anymore.

t-ba

Post Whore
>zuzu< said:
Sydney is not the heartland of Rugby League. Take it QLD, take it England. Just dont bring it here. Its rubbish crowds.

Yes it is...The People in Brisbane are just starved for Non-Super Greed Sell out football.

On a Per-Head Basis, Sydney Kills Brisbane...

>zuzu<

Juniors
But to add to that t-ba, my mate bought up an excellent point at the footy last night when we were speaking of the crowds. Its an excuse nonetheless, but still im appauled.

Sydney gets 150 games a year. QLD get about say 30? Its a big difference.

Quidgybo

Bench
>zuzu< said:
But to add to that t-ba, my mate bought up an excellent point at the footy last night when we were speaking of the crowds. Its an excuse nonetheless, but still im appauled.

Sydney gets 150 games a year. QLD get about say 30? Its a big difference.
It is an excuse, and one with some legitimacy. But, short of a dramatic cut in the number or teams/games in Sydney or a massive increase in Brisbane (neither of which I'm suggesting will or should happen), it's a difference we have to live with and schedule around. It's a reality of Australian RL and so when it comes to allocating future Tests it's a reality we need to take into account.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
ucantseeme said:
is the 2008 RLWC being staged pre or post season.
It's still post season and confirmed as such at a RLIF meeting last year. The clubs simply refused to stand pre-season.

Leigh.

Corbin

Juniors
I went to the game

The atmosphere was INCREDIBLE

I honestly believe that the was 1/3 of the crowd was supporting the kiwis

Good turnout.

Look, IRL isnt strong at the moment, whenever i talk to people about IRL they laugh at me and say say its a aboustle joke.

Why?

Because of the RLIF, there wasnt enough marketing. it was a very poor approach to such a well contested series.

Dont blame sydney, blame the RLIF.

Latest posts