What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin Extended Contract

Dragon David

First Grade

Can't Hook be a bit more critical of the players? He drivels on and on and by doing so I can see that he hasn't got the right answers. Sorry Hook. Bring back Sloan and if you are keen to start Mbye, use him at 5/8th with Hunt at half. Not too happy about McCullough at hooker though - what a dilemma. Su'a returns and I think Bud Sullivan will be back so out goes Jack Gosiewski and George Burgess has to come in but I reckon because of this sponsor thing, he might remain in reserves until he is cleared. The other thing though is if any players get suspended like Lawrie who replaces him?

Illusion

Bench
What did Hook and Hunt have to say after ? Been saying for 4 years now, if Hunt is to stay move him to 9 he is no good at organising the team and can still do what he is doing now ..... That will solve no creativity at dummy half keep Amone at 6 and Slone at fullback when Sully comes back into 7 and let the young blokes work themselves out. ..... It ain't working now and hasn't for years they are not going to win anything this year or the next year so at least give the young blokes experience and time to adapt not drop them , then replace them with retireers .....

gUt

Coach
So what does he do now? Recall Sloan and basically admit the spine re-shuffle was a brain fart?

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I can only assume that the "thinking" behind his early re-signing was to provide some stability - acknowledging that there wasn't going to be a quick fix and that we'd occasionally have to take a step back to move forward.

But surely then flicking two of the most promising youngsters in round four is the exact opposite of what this was designed to do.

Dylan Brown played superbly last night and it's worth remembering he is only 21 and coming off the back of a pretty disappointing 2021. But he clearly has a coach willing to back him.

Not all young guns come good just on faith. But all of them fail when dropped for fear or favouritism.

Dragon David

First Grade
Coaching the St George Illawarra Dragons has been a hard job over the past decade. Every year since we had Bennett it has been bumpy and with not much success - using reaching the top 4 as the mark of success as no team has ever won the premiership outside of the top 4 I don't think, we haven't passed the grade.

This and next year will be rebuilding years like so many previous years it is not funny. I just don't think that Hook has the ability to get the team to be top 4 when teams like Penrith, Storm, Roosters, Parramatta, Souths and now Cronulla will be all fighting to be in the top 4 year in and out. The only way for us to achieve this "milestone" is to sign up a really accredited coach and great assistants and who can get our youth to be primed for the years ahead, better outside recruitment with a couple of big named players and making sure everyone has a common goal and that is to win the premiership without any bullshit spin.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Looks bad for Lomax. These ineffectual no look passes are unnecessary. For someone down on form, try looking where your passing .
Rava Might score tries a bit more often .
Yes, I am still a bit of a Lomax fan, but Zac needs to understand that not every pass needs to be a no look flick pass. Surely he can hold onto the ball and make a normal pass occasionally? Zac can also be a weapon in catching bombs on the opposition try line (as can Sloan), but that tactic either hasn't been used, or has been imperfectly executed - the Dragons kicking game is pretty poor. So, what I have noticed is: our attack is poor, our defence is rubbish, either there is no game plan or the team doesn't stick to it - apart from that, the team is going great!

st.phil

Bench
His press conferences are boring and flat. Never says anything negative about the players and their performance. Doesn't show any emotion at all. I think we have another "dud" coach.
all good - Hook thinks we looked more dangerous w Mbye at 1 and Bird at 6 - echos of Norman last year and when Bird played fullback against the fkn Panthers of all teams

So off him now, just waiting for the axe

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sharks have had a better 10 years than Saints and they even had a cheating scandal and bad press within the period yet have been able to recover and be competitive every season. Saints had none of that and they have made 1 final series. That is because the Sharks would never put up with the crap the coaches have put out, have kept a good roster and given their young guys a go. All of which Saints have failed to do in 10 years. Sharks sacked their latest coach and his team was still in the 8 from memory or close to it.

Saints extending Hook is a perfect example of how bad the club is run. Why so early and not wait till at least mid season?

If Saints are smart they keep an eye on the Storm situation and get whoever they look at to replace Bellamy such as Ryles who has been an assistant to Bellamy and now Robo. The other dude they are looking at is his other replacement Brentnal. If Storm think they are good enough then they must be good because they actually have an idea of what success looks like where as this Saints board has no idea of that clearly.

Dropping Sloan and Amone was a shocker of a move. Sims and Molo were the only forwards that played with any heart yet 1 of them is unwanted by Griffin. Did you see how slow McCullough was for one of the tries Reed Mahoney scored? Wow, like he was on a treadmill. He is way past it. Mbye is the answer if Hunt wants the 7 and not play at 9. Hunt is the best 9 Saints have. Bud and Amone in the halves and Sloan at fullback. That is the best spine available clearly. I would be happy to play them all season as part of the rebuild and get them as much experience as possible for next season no matter what the results are as they cannot get worse than last night. Isn't that how to rebuild not play these old hasbeens and let the young guys have 1 or 2 games in the back end or dropping them after 1 bad game? Give the young fellas as much game time as possible.

mightydragon

Juniors
I can only assume that the "thinking" behind his early re-signing was to provide some stability - acknowledging that there wasn't going to be a quick fix and that we'd occasionally have to take a step back to move forward.

But surely then flicking two of the most promising youngsters in round four is the exact opposite of what this was designed to do.

Dylan Brown played superbly last night and it's worth remembering he is only 21 and coming off the back of a pretty disappointing 2021. But he clearly has a coach willing to back him.

Not all young guns come good just on faith. But all of them fail when dropped for fear or favouritism.
He also plays behind a forward pack that has a go week in week out too

Dragon David

First Grade
Haven't we got a premiership winning coach in a recruitment role. Why don't they just switch roles?
I think the pay packets are different - Hook's salary would be more than Flanagan's. I really think we should make a play for Jason Ryles. He is like Fitzgibbon being a defensive coach and was at the Storm for several years as a player and an assistant coach, same for the Roosters now and was a player with them as well or are our ties with him dead and buried?

Crush

Coach
you guys need to understand he is not f**king the cap with absolute shitters like McGregor did. The guys he signed to long term contracts (sue and Molo) have been the best forwards on field. Its going to take time. stop blowing up so much over a few tough games. Look at manly last year
Bro, you don't have to police the forum, you do you mate, let others post their concerns, I think they're pretty valid at this stage, one or two wins from the past 12 rounds.....

hewi

Bench
Is it just a coincidence that what I am thinking will be the bottom two clubs this year (us and Tigers) are joint venture clubs with highly paid(or over paid) half backs that aren’t delivering and coaches that have failed to turn them around. Or, is it because the boards are split between the two ventures and the best decisions are not been voted up. Let’s face it yesterday was a disgrace and a loss next week is good bye 2022.

Col1

Juniors
you guys need to understand he is not f**king the cap with absolute shitters like McGregor did. The guys he signed to long term contracts (sue and Molo) have been the best forwards on field. Its going to take time. stop blowing up so much over a few tough games. Look at manly last year
As mentioned in other parts of this forum, the way a club is run has a big impact, while not one to defend Mary he had selection taken out of his hands and before that recruitment Millward still with the club has a lot to answer for. The board should have just sacked Mary and not turned us into a laughing stock. Now the club resigns HOOK for another year, without debating if that is a good or bad decision you must ask why, was hook in big demand (no) but why make a decision that early on in the year without any need.

I almost choked on my pie when I heard HOOKs assessment of the success of his changes working?