What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

betcats

Referee
Anthony Griffin has endured the year from hell and given it is likely he will be 3 semi final appearances in the three seasons he is entitled to start 2019 as head coach.

However, next year we need to see real improvements not cosmetic improvements.

I still have major reservations about our game plans, attacking structures and even basics like our kicking game.

Coaching is a tough business, but if he doesn't deliver in 2019 then we need to find someone who can deliver better results.

Our whole game plan is confused. Gus wants free flowing football without structure lots of ball movement and yet in some areas like the kicking game they are being so controlled by the coach.

Hook is not the coach who is going to unlock this teams potential. Our run of form started this year when Cleary got hurt and Maloney changed our attacking structure to suit him. Maloney spoke about that in the media.

OldPanther

Coach
Our whole game plan is confused. Gus wants free flowing football without structure lots of ball movement and yet in some areas like the kicking game they are being so controlled by the coach.

Hook is not the coach who is going to unlock this teams potential. Our run of form started this year when Cleary got hurt and Maloney changed our attacking structure to suit him. Maloney spoke about that in the media.

Should we get Maloney to captain/coach?

mxlegend99

Referee
Would prefer Geoff Toovey if we wanted an experienced coach. Unlike Dessie, I think Gus could control him.

For now we just need to go back to the balance we had before Origin. I think a bit of success leading into Origin had Gus step back and be less involved. Hook has many shortcomings. But we found a way to make it all work.

mxlegend99

Referee
Nor will Anthony Griffin. I don't mean to be disrespectful to him but given his age and the other obvious issues this job is his last head coach role.
I wouldn't be so sure. Desperate clubs have taken worse coaches.

Guys like Kearney, Taylor, Elliott and Stuart. Hook has a better record with us then they had before getting a job.

TheFrog

Coach
Nor will Anthony Griffin. I don't mean to be disrespectful to him but given his age and the other obvious issues this job is his last head coach role.
Hook has recently hit 50 even though he maybe looks and seems older. Des is a bit older perhaps, since he was a Panthers player in the early 80's. I'm not sure what the other obvious issues are but in Des's case 12 straight years in the finals and two premierships would make him very employable as a coach, I'd suggest. Griffin with his 60% win record likewise.

Kilkenny

Coach
I was listening to Talkin Sport last friday afternoon and Gerard Condon from Reading the Play not for the first time was talking up the disharmony amongst certain players with coach Griffin.

He went further to claim Griffin is going to be sacked and replaced by Trent Barrett and that he would have further to say on the matter when on the show today. Haven't listened to the show today as I only do so when in the car driving so can't shed any further light.

OldPanther

Coach
Hook has recently hit 50 even though he maybe looks and seems older. Des is a bit older perhaps, since he was a Panthers player in the early 80's. I'm not sure what the other obvious issues are but in Des's case 12 straight years in the finals and two premierships would make him very employable as a coach, I'd suggest. Griffin with his 60% win record likewise.

Des got all the blame for the Dogs mess. He isn't coaching in the NRL even with his record.

OldPanther

Coach
I was listening to Talkin Sport last friday afternoon and Gerard Condon from Reading the Play not for the first time was talking up the disharmony amongst certain players with coach Griffin.

He went further to claim Griffin is going to be sacked and replaced by Trent Barrett and that he would have further to say on the matter when on the show today. Haven't listened to the show today as I only do so when in the car driving so can't shed any further light.

I don't believe him. Ciraldo will be next whether Griffin is fired or not.

franklin2323

Immortal
Would prefer Geoff Toovey if we wanted an experienced coach. Unlike Dessie, I think Gus could control him.

For now we just need to go back to the balance we had before Origin. I think a bit of success leading into Origin had Gus step back and be less involved. Hook has many shortcomings. But we found a way to make it all work.

And if he doesn't get on with our players? Most are locked up long term. He is the sort of guy that would be a good assistant to Ciraldo. Next coach should be from within

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don't believe him. Ciraldo will be next whether Griffin is fired or not.

I'm sorry that bloke is a fruit loop.(the reading the play bloke) I understand he was a coach at some stage up in Brisbane. Maybe he and Griffin crossed paths, maybe he was let go by Griffin in Brisbane. But he carries on like a jilted bride at the altar.

betcats

Referee
I'm sorry that bloke is a fruit loop.(the reading the play bloke) I understand he was a coach at some stage up in Brisbane. Maybe he and Griffin crossed paths, maybe he was let go by Griffin in Brisbane. But he carries on like a jilted bride at the altar.

No our fans do, this guy hating us is an absolute myth invented by our sensitive fans. I listen to his tips every week and more often than not this season he is tipping us and being quite complimentary in regards to our football.

Over Griffins first two years here he Condon was often questioning what we were doing and not impressed with our footy(as were a lot of people) and he happened to be off the mark on a rumour so a few people here decided that he has it in for us. But as soon as our football improved(this season) so did his commentary about us each week.

I listen to him every week on talking sport(I carpool to work and this is the show they like) and he talks the same way about Penrith as he does every other club. He is quite often wrong with rumours and his inside knowledge but he can tip footy pretty well and he quite often will bag a team when they are playing shit footy, not just us.

betcats

Referee
I wouldn't pay much attention to rumours of griffin getting the sack cause I don't think it will happen. But the fact is rumours of player disharmony have dogged us since Griffin got here from different sources. So its either a three year long media beat up or perhaps where there is smoke there is fire.