What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

roofromoz

First Grade
From the Masked Panther column in the Western Weekender:

I can reveal today that sacked Penrith coach Anthony Griffin actually wanted out of the club himself in the months prior to his departure. I’ve been told that Griffin approached club management about a release in late June or early July, but demanded a payout that the club was not happy with. Penrith were left with no option but to terminate Griffin’s contract after his position became untenable in the club’s eyes. While there’s always two sides to every story, the suggestion that Griffin was blindsided by his sacking or that it didn’t come with reasonable grounds just doesn’t add up.

http://westernweekender.com.au/2018/09/masked-panther-one-cleary-down-one-to-go/

OldPanther

Coach
From the Masked Panther column in the Western Weekender:

I can reveal today that sacked Penrith coach Anthony Griffin actually wanted out of the club himself in the months prior to his departure. I’ve been told that Griffin approached club management about a release in late June or early July, but demanded a payout that the club was not happy with. Penrith were left with no option but to terminate Griffin’s contract after his position became untenable in the club’s eyes. While there’s always two sides to every story, the suggestion that Griffin was blindsided by his sacking or that it didn’t come with reasonable grounds just doesn’t add up.

http://westernweekender.com.au/2018/09/masked-panther-one-cleary-down-one-to-go/

Explains walking out on the Broncos game.

TheFrog

Coach
The Masked Panther said:
While there’s always two sides to every story, the suggestion that Griffin was blindsided by his sacking or that it didn’t come with reasonable grounds just doesn’t add up.
I'm sure he felt he would be there until the end of the season. The timing was completely unprecedented for a side in premiership contention. Sacking him didn't stop us getting 12 and 18 behind in matches, after all. Very little changed in on-field results, really.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm sure he felt he would be there until the end of the season. The timing was completely unprecedented for a side in premiership contention. Sacking him didn't stop us getting 12 and 18 behind in matches, after all. Very little changed in on-field results, really.

It comes down to:

Option 1. Don't change and expect similar results.

Option 2. Change and see what happens. It's all risk Vs reward. We didn't do any worse than the last 2 years under Griffin.

unKwn

Juniors
the timing of it was fine as it gave us a rough indication of what ciraldo is like, and it gave ciraldo time with the team in regular season and finals intensity. much better than throwing him in next year with no experience. our season was in a spiral this year anyway so it was worth the risk to punt hook, test out ciraldo and see what happens

TheFrog

Coach
I kind of prefer the timing.
It made our club look like a bunch of rawboned hayseeds from Hicksville with more money than brains. And they are still looking that way with their chasing of Cleary, who is under contract for 2 years, while simultaneously giving Ciraldo the job. And Cleary isn't even a top line coach, although he must be starting to think he is. They must thrive on bad press.

OldPanther

Coach
It made our club look like a bunch of rawboned hayseeds from Hicksville with more money than brains. And they are still looking that way with their chasing of Cleary, who is under contract for 2 years, while simultaneously giving Ciraldo the job. And Cleary isn't even a top line coach, although he must be starting to think he is. They must thrive on bad press.

Successful clubs don't care. Have to make the gamble if you want to get anywhere. Griffin wasn't going to improve things and seems he wanted out anyway.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So who would want coach you guys, only Ivan or a rookie I would suggest.

What experienced coach would go to Penrith?

OldPanther

Coach
Except perhaps Ciraldo and Griffin, who both wanted out. It is acknowledged that Ciraldo quit twice and the emerging rumour/story that Griffin wanted out for months.

I still think any coach would including Ciraldo who decided to stay on twice.