What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

Panfa

Juniors
I thought the way nathan cleary was playing under hook that he would be playing even better for his dad boy was i wrong hes got worse and some of his decisions like kicking on tackle 1 off the scrum against titans is just disrespectful.

Das Hassler

Bench
Has some motivational skills, just can't do it every week.

That touches on what it takes. ..the coach needs to be more....or more exactly BELIEVED to be more powerful...dominant than the whole 17 as a group and most importantly more powerful than the group's most dominant personality and that cannot be challenged even for a minute ....he can be one of the guys in some sports but not RL....the testosterone levels are too high to be only knowledgable.....see Bellamy...Maquire...Hassler...Bennett etc. Ivan needs to dump the bad attitudes fast as a statement of authority or he'll lose any hope of recovery when the belief evaporates ( see previous firing) No doubt the journos have the "lost the dressing room" headline locked and loaded and probably won't need to worry about Guss taking them to task this time.

The Realist

Juniors
We need someone that is a proven winner. That part is what hook can't bring

Of all the Coaches that were 'available' when the entire coaching merry go round started we literally picked the worst one. I was hoping to get Madge or Hasler. Would have preferred Bennett to either of them BUT I thought that it was a very long shot given his previous rivalry with Gus and both being huge personalities. I would have been very satisfied with either 3. But we being the Panthers literally went backwards!

Das Hassler

Bench
Of all the Coaches that were 'available' when the entire coaching merry go round started we literally picked the worst one. I was hoping to get Madge or Hasler. Would have preferred Bennett to either of them BUT I thought that it was a very long shot given his previous rivalry with Gus and both being huge personalities. I would have been very satisfied with either 3. But we being the Panthers literally went backwards!

The best coach for you guys would be Gus himself...success...personality needed and every player owes him their job. Next to zero chance but still more likely than getting griffin back.

mxlegend99

Referee
I thought the way nathan cleary was playing under hook that he would be playing even better for his dad boy was i wrong hes got worse and some of his decisions like kicking on tackle 1 off the scrum against titans is just disrespectful.
Nathan Cleary last night
1 try
1 try assist
34 tackles / 1 missed
2 forced line drop outs
0 errors

How is he worse than last year? Our results are worse so far. But for the most part Nathan has been improving on a personal level this year.

Still nowhere near the player we need him to be. But he has been arguably our best and most consistent back. Which says more about the performances of the other guys though.

martielang

Bench
Nathan Cleary last night
1 try
1 try assist
34 tackles / 1 missed
2 forced line drop outs
0 errors

How is he worse than last year? Our results are worse so far. But for the most part Nathan has been improving on a personal level this year.

Still nowhere near the player we need him to be. But he has been arguably our best and most consistent back. Which says more about the performances of the other guys though.

Yeh I agree, Clearys impressed me the last few games. Definite improvement.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeh I agree, Clearys impressed me the last few games. Definite improvement.
Last night was the best our halves have played together since the couple of games before Origin in 2018.

Just a shame we could only manage 41% possession. We actually looked like scoring when we were in the 20. 7 tries the past 2 weeks. After only 6 in the first 4 rounds.

Bodhi

Juniors
None of what’s happened makes Griffin the right choice for us, he was never going to win a title.
Well...John Lang also didn’t win any before 2003! Anyway, it’s all a moot point now. Whilst I was no fan of Griffin, I definitely didn’t appreciate the way he was punted. Pure disrespect to treat someone like that, let alone someone who took us to 3 straight finals series. A lot of my colleagues who are league fanatics said they lost the soft corner they always had for the Panthers after that episode and IC hiring saga.

Well...John Lang also didn’t win any before 2003! Anyway, it’s all a moot point now. Whilst I was no fan of Griffin, I definitely didn’t appreciate the way he was punted. Pure disrespect to treat someone like that, let alone someone who took us to 3 straight finals series. A lot of my colleagues who are league fanatics said they lost the soft corner they always had for the Panthers after that episode and IC hiring saga.

Lang has been to a grand final, got the sharks to the top of the table. Griffin isn’t a top shelf coach, he never should’ve got an extension to his deal.

OldPanther

Coach

The issue was Gus and the board were on different paths so everything has been a mess. The one positive right now is we don't have factions but it's been a mess and I felt for the Tigers and Griffin should've just not been re-signed.

OldPanther

Coach
No but can always be worse. People just assumed hook was the issue and not the players

So what's the solution going forward?

I always said on here Hook needed a good attacking coach as assistent and Ivan is no different. We are bringing Barrett so maybe that helps I don't know. Someone said he failed with our Juniors.

franklin2323

Immortal
So what's the solution going forward?

I always said on here Hook needed a good attacking coach as assistent and Ivan is no different. We are bringing Barrett so maybe that helps I don't know. Someone said he failed with our Juniors.

Bennett has 12 on his coaching staff. Robinson has Jason Taylor and the next Knights coach. The best coaches have quality around them.

Ivan has a player who retired last year and Ciraldo who isn't sure if he wants to be coach. Hook too had poor support staff.

Barrett brings 10 years coaching experience. 3 in the top grade which helps. As for his lower grade coaching it looks bad but he had a weak squad due to Bryce and co playing the top grade. Similar to our Flegg side now.

Getting rid of the players is the other step. 4 years exact same stuff at some stage they are too blame

Abacus

Juniors
A lot of my colleagues who are league fanatics said they lost the soft corner they always had for the Panthers after that episode and IC hiring saga.
I still don't understand why we care what other team's fans think about the club. Maybe we're all a bit over-sensitive?

I've got no problems with the club targeting the coach they want - the disappointing part is that Dave picked this coach because they're mates.